sums4you

Need honest opinions on dining room

sums4you
7 år sedan
Just purchased a new dining room table and chairs yesterday and purchased the dining settee on wayfair. How does it look?

Kommentarer (91)

• Lana Putnam
    7 år sedan
    i absolutely love what you have in the first picture! i love it because it is original - different :) .. i love the candle sticks on the table, without the tray.
  • williamshaven
    7 år sedan

Hello sums4you,

In your comments, you stated that you are an over the top kind of person
    with your style and you like and enjoy a more glamour type design and your
    dining room is for visual enjoyment and stimulation. You are on the right track, but I would take it to the next level.

Living room – the artwork hanging behind the sofa, is
    hanging too low. I think the artwork may
    be a great fit for the dining room, instead.

I love your dining room table, chairs and settee. This is an eclectic style. Keep the chairs. The bench seat is more rustic and casual.

In both your dining room and living room, accentuate your windows. These are your focal points. For the dining room I would
    accentuate the angle of the window with curtain panels. Hang your curtains high so they are the focal point of your rooms and make a grand statement when someone enters these rooms. See the example:

Traditional Living Room · Mer info

Create a cohesive look throughout your home, using
    accessories. Use color to pull together
    your living and dining rooms. For example, use the
    blue color from your living room and bring that color into your dining room through
    artwork, a rug, decorative pillows, and your curtains.

Finish off your dining room décor by softening your settee
    with decorative pillows. See the example:

Chestnut Hill - Comm · Mer info

I would love to see the finished room. Good luck with your project!

• User
    7 år sedan

LOL sums4you- pray tell what did I say that was so ugly?

I am sorry you find me ugly, perhaps you would care to show us your face and I could have something to aspire to.

• sherry omally
    7 år sedan

Margo, you called her fence that is visible through the window ugly. That's her fence. You could have politely offered a suggestion if it wasn't up to your standards of the most fashionable home privacy options, but instead you chose to use implicit text to insult her. And you knew what you were doing the entire time. Purposeful insulting flanked by insincere emoji faces is stuff mean girls are made of.

• strawberry47
    7 år sedan
    It's your house so have fun with it. I'd balance the "wow look at me sofa" with dramatic curtains. Enjoy and please let us see your progress.
  • User
    7 år sedan

You know what I find so terribly sad. You come on this site and ask for honest opinions and then you get irrated with the honesty. You then lash out and ridicule people personally when it is just objects and design being discussed. This *fake* sherry comes on and makes fun of fellow Houzzers and it is fine as long as she *fake* loves all your stuff. Now, fake sherry sits back and laughs ... wow , what a PRO??

• User
    7 år sedan

Sherry- the mean girl comment is showing your true colors..

I never said the wall was ugly. I said I would not want to look at that cylinder wall.

You came on here and made fun of fellow Houzzers, calling us the Pumpkin Spice Latte brigade. Told us we have no taste, etc. Shame on you. You are hiding under a fake name and now having people trying to guess who you are. come out and face the music.

• sherry omally
    7 år sedan

Margo, you know me. Ive been here for years. Im just tired of the pretentious snark, so I wanted to say something. If I told you who I was you'd probably go crazy because I'm never like this. I just think you were once again being snarky so i signed in under another name, so please stop. I don't know the OP. I liked her settee

• Ruth Oberweis
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I personally love the whole thing together. The mixture of shapes and colors is very current. Symmetry and matchy matchy is so mundane and, frankly, a thing of the past. Beautiful curtains will add a nice finishing touch to the room. You're doing a great job! Don't pay attention to the naysayers and their snyde little comments.

• hmarney
    7 år sedan
    I agree with Penny Design
    Or
    Just 3 more chairs, no settee
  • User
    7 år sedan

sherry- not so fast. I came on here and began with saying the room looked *Very Eclectic*. then I said I liked the chairs better than the bench. Then I showed some curtains.... THEN you came on with your rant. Tell me what SNARK did I give?

It also sounds like you have a grudge towards me, and are using this posters dilemma to unleash your wrath? why not just message me with your thoughts?

• sums4you
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Margo, you did come off very snarky. One of the other people on this thread even thought so. Yes you were one of the first people to post that you liked it and it was Eclectic. So thank you. But shortly after it became very snarky when you commented on my cinder block wall. Yes I have a cinder block wall in my backyard and yes we absolutely need new landscaping. We are working on the inside while waiting for landscaping bids. I don't enjoy looking at the backyard at the moment but I do have big plans for it. I'm not a super woman and can not attack 50 projects all at once.
  • User
    7 år sedan

sums4you- so- do you really think that calling me ugly and that I should get a mask was alright because I mentioned I would not like looking at a cylinder wall? I just do not understand when people attack personally over objects??

• User
    7 år sedan

OK- here is an idea. Why don't you guys think about coming to Deadwood and meet up with some of us. You might find me a little hard to look at but if you give it some time maybe I will grow on you ;))

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/attention-all-houzzers-2017-meet-up-planned-deadwood-south-dakota-dsvw-vd~4369735?n=233

• mcbmd3
    7 år sedan
    I don't like the settee at all. I do like the armless chairs. So there's my two cents. I agree that it doesn't matter what my opinion is; only your opinion counts regarding your home. The sherry poster is another matter. Wow, what a rant. Tasteless and unladylike.
  • gtcircus
    7 år sedan
    I don't understand what you are doing. Your dining table looks like a convention of orphan seating. If you want to pull this odd couple convention together, you need to step up your game and really decorate the room. There is no rug, no wallpaper and no draperies so it looks like an orphan convention. Pull it together by decorating the room or back off the attempt. This is not a good look as it stands.
  • sums4you
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    I just received my furniture so the decorating around the furniture will begin. I never said the room was completed. I only asked for opinions not insults. Insults that I can truly care less about. Im ok with opinions from anyone that might have at least half an ounce of class and respect. Honestly some of you have some serious issues and should seek out maybe a good therapist. Lol
  • User
    7 år sedan

Surya Wall Decor Wall Mirror · Mer info

Uttermost Lourosa Gold Mirror · Mer info

Uttermost Walton Hall Gold Mirror · Mer info

• nmp19
    7 år sedan
    What is the point of negativity and name calling? When someone has a dilemma, there can be constructive and polite differences of opinion. I usually read the posts because they are helpful, inspiring and creative. The news is distressing enough. HOUZZ used to be my creative getaway. If the trend for nastiness continues to appear in the Houzz posts, I guess that I will have to look for peace and positivity somewhere else.
  • PRO
    Loren Clive Realty
    7 år sedan
    Don't ask for opinions if you've already made up your mind! the original poster has definitely crossed the line of civility (calling someone ugly?!) and has no taste. sadly, I find people usually ask for advice when they have no intention of taking it. what a waste of time
  • lovemrmewey
    7 år sedan

Well, Ladies! Did y'all ever surprise me!

That said, I love that settee! And love the first mirror that Miss Margo posted.

• Hello Kitty
    7 år sedan

Even though I like the seating (except for the end chairs, I don't care too much for them), the combination of all three types of seating feels inharmonious. One can be eclectic, "over-the-top" glam and still have harmony. For one thing, the dining table has an interesting edge and pedestal, but I can hardly see them with the three round back chairs crowded across the settee. I'm not sure if I should be looking at the settee or the three round backs or the two end chairs. Seems like there is a lot of opportunity to edit here.

I think it would have a very different feel if you subtracted the current end chairs and used only the settee and round back dining chairs: two round back chairs across the settee and two as end table chairs. That way the chairs are not crowded around the table, the details on the edge of the dining table are more visible, and the eyes can focus on the settee. I'm assuming you are not overly concerned about how many people you can squeeze into this dining table since you are using the space as a visual treat for yourself.

It will be interesting to see how you finish the walls. The wall behind the settee is begging for an over-the-top, uber glam wallpaper.

In the second photo, the table is not centered with the chandelier. The chandelier can also be lowered a bit.

A chesterfield, as someone already mentioned, is also a style of sofa. It has rolled arms that are the same height as the back of the sofa, usually deep button tufted. More classically it is in leather with nail head trims.

Good luck with your space, sounds like you are pretty sure about your aesthetic direction anyway.

• Mark
    7 år sedan

@sums4you I tired to give you advice on another thread you posted last Wednesday and so did other's but you just ignored the whole thread altogether. When people take time to offer help to you it would be nice if you at least responded in some way so people don't feel that they are wasting their time. Keep track of how many dilemmas you are posting.

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-dining-room-suggestions-please-dsvw-vd~4442877[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-dining-room-suggestions-please-dsvw-vd~4442877)

• northpoint2
    7 år sedan

@sums4you, I honestly believe that you love your seating arrangement and posted for compliments. That's OK! But when some constructive criticism emerged instead, you reacted negatively and lashed out. Margo is right that pointing out your cinder-block wall is very different than criticizing someone's...face? How old are we, indeed?

• sunnydrew
    7 år sedan
    Wow! This thread was interesting with my morning coffee. I hope everyone took/ takes a deep breath and calms down.
    For me, if I ask for help or comments, it is for reassurance that what I am thinking to do makes sense. Or that I truly have no clue and want some ideas given freely.
    It does matter to me if I get comments that are opposite, shall we say, of what I am thinking or have done, or can't do for reasons that take too long to explain in advance. Or worse, are off subject to the item in question. Yes, I do want validation for what I like already! I admit it :)
    However, being on houzz long enough to know all this, I expect some intuitive person is going to notice and comment on my background or other area that is not in question. I do not take issue with it. I just politely say "that was not my question"
    Let's all get along... the world is already in turmoil, let's keep houzz safe and sacred.
    Deadwood? Is someone gunning for a shootout at the NOT-OK Corral? Lay down your curtain rods and let's have some fun and bonding!
  • sums4you
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Well said Sunnydrew! Thank you
  • sums4you
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    @Mark I didn't post anything last week. Not sure what you're talking about. This was my first post in a while. Have a nice day
  • Mark
    7 år sedan

@sums4you You did post last Wednesday ! This is your dilemma right here. Click the link. You posted so many dilemmas that you have lost track.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-dining-room-suggestions-please-dsvw-vd~4442877

• Hello Kitty
    7 år sedan
    I just saw Mark's link, thanks Mark. I'm not trying to be mean, but I do find it a bit strange that you would ask about dining tables on Wednesday and then already have daytime and night time photos with a dining table already on Friday. Maybe in the interim you had a fabulous find that just happened to be in stock or a fortuitous floor sample find, I don't know. But it seems like there is more to the story.
  • Arwen
    7 år sedan

Ok, I'm new to posting but not new to Houzz. I saw this dilemma and my first thought was, "wow, that settee is ugly!" Then I thought, what do I know? Maybe it's high design fashion and I have no taste. I'll just read and see what others think. Started off interesting and then.....evidently there's some history here that I know nothing about. Margo was not "snarky" and I saw nothing in her comments that would make any reasonable human being take offense at all. I mean, WTF??? She mentions a cinder block wall that everyone could clearly see in a picture that was posted on a public forum and sum4you says she needs a mask for her ugly face?? Who DOES that?? How can anyone defend that? Sums4you and Sherry are you twins or something? Are you twelve? There is no excuse for your horrible comments. If I weren't so mad, I would feel sorry for you. You take a lovely website like Houzz and ruin it with you ugliness. Maybe you both could use a mask.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år sedan

I'm a strong proponent of authenticity on the internet. So I can't be offended when people show their authentic selves. I can however choose to ignore them or try to avoid them.

• sunnydrew
    7 år sedan
    Hey, what did I do? I was trying to make this peaceful....
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år sedan

@sunnydrew, for the record I can't read anything controversial in what you wrote. I even tried it sarcastic--it was a non-starter!

• Arwen
    7 år sedan
    Sorry, sunnydrew.....got you confused with Sherry... my sincere apologies!
  • sums4you
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    @hello Pity
    If I posted something earlier in the week then I completely forgot and yes actually in fact I bought a table Friday afternoon and it was delivered Friday evening. Not sure how this got completely out of hand but anyway I really appreciate everyone's input and would like to apologize to Sharon for calling her as ugly as her comments. That was wrong. I truly did just want everyone's input, ideas and suggestions. That's all. I just felt her cinder block wall/landscape comment was very snarky. @Mark I've been so busy I really forgot I posted on Wednesday. I'm sorry this whole post went sideways and fast. I sincerely apologize to you all. This spiraled out of control so quickly. I apologize to you all and really do thank you all for all your responses.
  • sunnydrew
    7 år sedan
    Sums... thanks for your comments. Keep working on your rooms and let us know how it all turns out.
  • User
    7 år sedan

Yes Sums .... thank you for everything, what fun it has been ! Sincerely, Margo aka Sharon? LOL

• tgb1
    7 år sedan

Wow Sums - I'm hoping that apology was meant for Margo.

'Sherry' does not deserve an apology.

Next time don't ask for honest opinions. You clearly do not want them.

• User
    7 år sedan

tgb1- thanks, and keeping in the true MARGO fashion on commenting on things that are not asked for,... Isn't it time for you to take the Christmas decor off your dogs head? lol lol

• tgb1
    7 år sedan

OMG Margo - yes, yes it certainly is :))) I keep forgetting to ask my hub to do that for me....

• User
    7 år sedan

;)

• willy4
    7 år sedan
    I really like the settee! It says Wow. Not a fan of the bench
  • zealart
    7 år sedan

It looks great. Though I would envy the person who got the regular chair, while I'd be sitting on that settee ( same problem with bench). I think comfort and function are more important than looks, Especially at a dinner table, where a significant time is being spent. So yes, pretty, but not very practical.

• User
    7 år sedan

Eating dinner should not be part of an avante garde performance art installation. Functionality has to enter in there somewhere, or you might as well have built the whole thing out of papier mache as a theater set. Besides, it's too disjointed to even be considered ''quirky''.

• artsyphartsy_home_maker
    7 år sedan

Nice mix of seating, your guests will be very comfortable with all that cushioning!

• User
    7 år sedan

And you have to ask yourself.... Where is *sherry* now? ;))

• PRO
    Gabriela Zula
    7 år sedan
    Love it! The bench gives a really nice touch.
    Personally I would play a bit with the chairs to avoid the place to look overcrowded
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år sedan

How many children do you have, and what are their ages. The reason I ask is, my four Middle kids (ages 6-10) and their similarly aged cousins would love this settee and scramble for a spot at it. Heck, I would feel like a princess there too :) You mentioned that it worked for your family when you've used it, right?

• tgb1
    7 år sedan

Hmm.....

• PRO
    Mint Design and Development LLC
    6 år sedan

The settee sets the tone. Th

e other chairs don't go. The height of the chairs should match the settee, Perhaps inexpensive ladder backs lacquered a fun color with cushions to match the settee? You desperately need color. I suggest you consider a very bold lacquer or wallpaper on the walls and some great art and neutral draperies. I posted several examples of Groundworks Bunnies wallpaper because it would look terrific with your fun settee....your children would most likely prefer it to a plain wall. It is whimsical and still sophisticated.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.