kellychoi

Which kitchen brand and appliances would you recommend?

kellychoi
7 år sedan
I am extending a kitchen and have to put new kitchen and I was quite surprised that kitchen is so so expensive. I am on a budget but want to be looked luxury. After all researches, people mentioned that magnet and howdens are quite reasonable and good quality. What do you think or any idea?

Also what brand would you recommend for all kitchen appliances please. I like integrated appliances but like range cooker won't matter. Hopefully A+++ energy rating.

I want range cooker and hood(?)
Big American style fridge freezer with ice maker.
Microwaves
Dishwasher
What else...

Washing machine
Tumble dryer
In utility room

Many thanks

Kommentarer (21)

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

Yes, Howdens is a great place to buy cheap kitchens & appliances, i am aware they are doing a 3 piece deal ,a cooker hob, extractor fan, oven, for £220 +Vat and they do have other deals , JORDAN From Tottenham N22 5QL branch is very help full 0208 888 7126

• PRO
    Pamela Langbridge Curtains and Upholstery
    7 år sedan

I found Howdens also very good. You can open a trade account easily. You can also offer less and negotiate a good price. They are very helpful

• Jonathan
    7 år sedan
    I have a friend who renovates for profit and his motto is never spend money in things that people don't touch.
    To get a high end look he chooses inexpensive cabinets but adds a nice worktop. He has inexpensive doors but with a nice handle, he has nice taps.
    He also chooses a quality name for appliances but buys their entry level.
    Personally I think that if you want a high end look you might integrate your appliances although I conceded that without big outlay some ranges and American Style fridges seem to occupy a lot of space in the kitchen (which is not always a good thing)
  • clairef09
    7 år sedan

I recently bought a Magnet kitchen and really couldn't fault it thus far. They have a lot more 'on-trend' styles than Howdens do and the prices are fairly negotiable (we negotiated almost 50% discount on ours). It is worth going to both for a design appointment and see what they come out with re prices!

• Daisy England
    7 år sedan
    Personally I wouldn't touch Howdens or Magnet.

If you're not trade then you should not be able to open an account with Howdens. You need ID. You have to go through a tradesperson. They will work out a plan but not discuss prices.

Both Howdens and Magnet like to barter. You never know where you stand. Why do they offer you a 50% discount? Because they've loaded the price in the first place. I cannot believe people fall for this marketing ploy.

Even taking alleged discounts into consideration you can get a better deal through independent kitchen companies.

As for Howdens own brand appliances, oh dear, if you want to part with your money and have the appliances break within 12 months feel free to do so. Look online at the reviews.

Regarding named appliances I would look at Neff, AEG and Bosch.
  • clairef09
    7 år sedan
    DaisyEngland just in regards to your comment - I haven't personally fallen for any marketing ploy with magnet and I fully understand they are inflated but some people don't even barter so aren't even able to get money off that these people are willing to take off, so it's important to make that point that they are open to bartering. We shouldn't judge anyone for their choices.
  • Daisy England
    7 år sedan
    Yes they're open to offers because they're highly inflated. An independent kitchen company would come in £££s under their prices.
  • clairef09
    7 år sedan
    Disagree. It would be very hard for an independent to undercut the likes of Howdens and Magnet as they are selling things in bulk they can afford to cut margins whereas the independent isn't selling on same scale.

I approached an independent and they admitted they couldn't come close to the price I had bargained with magnet for the exact same kitchen. I opted for magnet as I am renovating an entire house and couldn't justify the extra expense for the same kitchen which is a shame as I would've liked to support the independent but that's how it is.
  • PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    7 år sedan
    I have a trade account at Howdens?

I always tell customers to shop around and mainly use my trade account as a way in for customers to use there prices as a comparison, all units are very similar it's all about the end product what people see on first impressions as said above.

Also getting different plans from each companies helps customers get ideas of what they can have and what they like to change.

Then play each other off on the price when they know the layout and finish they want.
  • Daisy England
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I own a kitchen and joinery company and have on more than one occasion quoted against Howdens and Magnet and knocked a considerable amount off their prices without knowing what the original prices were.
    Just because they buy in bulk doesn't make the price any cheaper. We all buy in and put on a %. No doubt we buy from the same company. We used to buy from the same company as B&Q.
    Some people just don't realise that automatically going to well known major outlets doesn't necessarily work out better. Perhaps try more than one independent. Another advantage with independents is that they can usually get bespoke sizes which saves having to use lots of fillers which look unsightly. We can buy carcases and fascias to the mm.

• kikiamack
    7 år sedan
    When we renovated our house we started out looking at Howdens as a neighbour had used them. However the pricing / negotiation side of things was one thing that put me off as you know that the prices are so overinflated in the first place. Also, (and I guess this depends on the store) there was no real innovation / opinion / value added element to the "design". I felt that we would have ended up going back and forth forever. We ended up going to a local kitchen place and getting a Schueller kitchen within the budget we had set. Interestingly, when we were looking at Neff appliances the store owner said he could get Siemens appliances for less than Neff because he displayed more Siemens than Neff and therefore he could pass on a higher discount, even though Siemens is the range higher than Neff within the Bosch / Neff / Siemens family. I was surprised with the amount and quality of kitchen we got so definitely don't assume independents are necessarily more expensive than the big companies.
  • Juliet Docherty
    7 år sedan

I am planning a new kitchen and so have just subscribed to WHICH? It makes fascinating reading. Appears that Ikea gets pretty good reviews and there is no bartering involved. Surprisingly, some of the better range cookers, freezers etc are not the ones we would expect. Take a look. For me it is the cost of worktops that makes me almost faint. I am opting for birch ply formica with a lovely stripey edge.

• PRO
    Qudaus Living
    7 år sedan
    Hi Kelly, just because you are on a budget does not mean you can't use an independent studio. I have on several occasions come up against magnet and have been very comparable.
    I would suggest buying better quality appliances, especially on items you are going to be using most regularly as its abit of a false economy to buy cheap.. I'd recommend caple for a more cost cautious purchase or if your budget can stretch then definitely Neff or Siemens.
    It would also be worth considering buying an ex-display kitchen which can give you the designer kitchen minus the designer price tag. We have a number of ex displays on our website, we also use "The Kitchen Exchange" to sell off displays along with other studios.
  • PRO
    Home By Design Ltd
    7 år sedan
    We can definitely undercut howdens or magnets anyday. We don't expect huge profit margins. We rely on word of mouth or recommendations so offer fantastic customer service. Above all we offer a much superior product for a lower cost.

Independents all the way.

Jade
  • PRO
    SelSol Architectural
    7 år sedan

Just to weigh in on the Howdens comments, the key is to make sure you know someone in the trade who can put you forward to them, that way you just get dealt with as a trade using their account. They do have sales on but generally speaking the price doesn't fluctuate much through the year, except when they have their big sale on which is usually October time.

I do use Howdens and no, they're not perfect but most of the grumbles I hear are more to with customer service which don't fall in line with the glossy showroom kitchen providers. The quality of the kitchens is very good (25 year warranty iirc) so if you have access to them then do get a quote from them.

I think what I would say is that if you go to Howdens, expect a slightly tradesman type relationship (the showrooms are far from impressive) but a key thing is that they hold stock on most items. If you get a damaged door for example, it can be replaced next day, try getting that out of Homebase.......

With regard to appliances, we have SMEG in our kitchen and I'd never buy it again. Hobbs been fine, but three new ovens on warranty and whilst it now works fine, the previous two didn't. Previously we had Bosch for everything and it all worked faultlessly, so I can't recommend them enough.

• headers13
    7 år sedan

I have just ordered a new kitchen. Looked at all the brands; Magnet, Howden's, Wren etc etc but not keen on any of them. Would have liked Neptune etc but am on a budget. Have got the cabinets from Bestkitchenquote.com - some lovely units. Siemen's are good but am getting Bosch appliances & then the builder it putting it all together. Good luck.

• Lena
    7 år sedan
    We are planning to update kitchen units as well. I was recommended to look at the independent local company, but after reading online reviews on complete lack of customer support after installation I think about either using Ikea or Wickes kitchens. The word is the latter is a part of Howdens group.
  • kellychoi
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    I have been looking for kitchens but I thought I can find these style.. Where can I find these kitchens?
  • headers13
    7 år sedan

The dark grey one above looks like 1909 range which is one up from Second Nature.

• PRO
    Home By Design Ltd
    7 år sedan
    They are in frame painted kitchens.

Lots of independents will supply them. But the big names are probably Tom Howley, Neptune, etc.

I don't know about the sheds as I try not to look at them
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.