gemma_sharpe20

Please critique my kitchen design

Gemma
7 år sedan

Hi there, just planning kitchen at the moment. Had one done with wickes but didn't like it so have done my own bit looking after some opinions please.

Plan on boxing in the boiler and having some open shelving or glass fronted top box on the left wall above washer. The pan drawers will all have a normal drawer on top for cutlery, utensils, spices etc. Will have a table probably in front of the window too.

Many thanks!

Kommentarer (21)

• LTS
    7 år sedan
    I don't think all of your photo is showing. Can't see a sink?
  • Gemma
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Sink is on back wall in the middle sort of, planning one and half bowl.

• PRO
    Home By Design Ltd
    7 år sedan
    We can help with the design and supply of your kitchen. We are a made To Measure personalised service so often fit the gaps High Street stores can't.

Let me know if you would like a hand!

Jade
    Home By Design Ltd
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 år sedan
    Hi Gemma. I also can't see the full image which makes it hard to offer any advice. When planning a kitchen we generally ask the client lots of questions around how they use the space, what they are looking for from the space, what style they like etc to start to plan the space out gradually. Have you sat with a kitchen designer to do this?
    Do you have wickes plan so we can see what they did and then what you didn't like about it?
    If you're not working with a designer on the kitchen I would recommend going to more than one kitchen company. The problem with kitchen companies like Wickes is they don't generally consider the space as a whole which is also important. Considering it all enabled you to consider the lighting, sight lines, quality of natural light, distance to the dining table etc. This is something as interior designer would be able to do with you if you have one on board.
    I look forward to seeing the plan if you can re-upload it at all.
  • PRO
    Proud Interiors Limited
    7 år sedan

Agree with the above and dont rush, have a look at my kitchen design on my portfolio as I think it looks like it may help you. Goodluck Jackie

• Gemma
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Ah sorry it shows whole on my screen. I'll try again

And the wickes design

I had originally thought a built under double oven would be best until I actually started looking at the capacity of them and decided they wouldn't be big enough so changed from larder to eye level oven. My main need is more work surface and more storage as we only have one area more than 80cm long worksurface at the minute and 2 base cabinets and 1 sethe of drawers, the current kitchen is in the 2600 x 2800 space alone.

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 år sedan
    Hi, that's much better. Thank you. Is it replacing an existing kitchen? Do you sink and oven have to go there? And is the other end of the room for a dining table? :)
  • Gemma
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Yes it's replacing current kitchen, that's the only outside wall for sink plumbing and the gas is where the hob is.

This is current kitchen (please excuse mess, taken while cooking tea!)

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 år sedan
    It appears that the dining table is very close to the kitchen already.. do you need the breakfast bar?
  • Gemma
    Författare
    7 år sedan

The dining table is going to be moved further away, it's currently in the middle of the space. I wanted the breakfast bar because I've got a 6 and 4 year old and at the minute it's a struggle when they want to help baking and stuff. Plus when we have guests they don't sit at the table they hover in the kitchen getting in my way!

• whizzywig
    7 år sedan

Hi Gemma, I wonder if you're trying to fit just that little bit too much in the space you have? I have a suggested layout for you that assumes a dining table more in the centre of the space left - in the thick of it, so to speak, which might help the little ones still feel involved if they're given something to do there (!?) I hope the writing is legible. Also, would you not have your washing machine in the utility?

• Gemma
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thanks for that whizzywig. Unfortunately the washer will have to stay in the kitchen, the dryer us in the utility and broom cupboard, storage for my husbands tools. We can't put the sink on the other wall either unfortunately because it's a solid stone wall with living room the other side. The house used to be two terraces, it was converted in the 80's to one house. We're also pretty tight with budget.

• whizzywig
    7 år sedan

Hmmm, pesky walls! Bearing all that in mind you're probably quite close to what would work best for you. I would suggest though that the tall units stay on the left - if they're on the right you're cutting out a lot of light from your primary natural light source. Also, try not to have your dishwasher tucked right into a corner as that just makes it difficult to work around - sometimes you can crash into handles when opening and closing.. I've tweaked your plan a little which I hope gets you a bit closer to your final solution: good luck!

• Gemma
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thanks for that whizzywig. Hadn't really considered the light. Food for thought.

• lkirk44
    7 år sedan
    The space looks quite cramped in the kitchen, maybe a larder unit next to fridge freezer to free up space and not have some wall units?!
  • Gemma
    Författare
    7 år sedan

thanks whizzywig. i looked at that before but the problem is it only leaves me with one big prep area which is what we have now and me and the husband get in each others way (or rather he gets in my way!)

• PRO
    TALLBOX
    6 år sedan

I would suggest something as the space is dark, do not use paneled doors and keep it simple as possible.

• Gemma
    Författare
    6 år sedan

We've changed it around now so will actually be like this

• PRO
    TALLBOX
    6 år sedan

It's better now. Whay don't you use integrated fridge, this will give you more complete look at the end of the kitchen? Also try to avoid different heights at the upper cupboards. Make the in one line. Do you plan to change the colour to something lighter insted of this strong bluish/green?

• Gemma
    Författare
    6 år sedan

The fridge freezer is fairly new and I don't really like the integrated ones because of how much smaller the capacity is. The walls will probably be off white with a teal splashback.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.