sjbwdn

Advice on underfloor heating with engineered wood

Sarah Bowden
7 år sedan

Help please! I'm getting really confused with UFH and engineered wood boards - I've been looking at forums and advice places and seem to get that it should be less than 18mm thick and you don't put thick rugs on it. Then I saw that you never turn it off - really? We're renovating an old cottage and putting in an Aga - with the amount of insulation the builder is incorporating, we're going to COOK! Can somebody reassure me that we can turn off the UFH for several months through the summer?

Kommentarer (6)

• PRO
    Catherine Lepreux Interiors
    7 år sedan
    We have UFH throughout our house, under a mixture of bamboo flooring and fitted carpets. I think it's fab, it gives out a really gentle, even heat.
    To reassure you, we do turn ours off during the summer! When you read "don't turn it off", it's more about programming the thermostats to regulate the temperature during the day. Rooms with UFH probably take a bit longer to warm up than with a conventional radiator, but they cool down more slowly too, as the heat percolates through the floor. If you're used to planning your cooking in advance with an Aga, you'll be fine.
    Sarah Bowden thanked Catherine Lepreux Interiors
  • obobble
    7 år sedan
    We have it too and technically it is never off, but we have the thermostat on the frost setting in the summer so it would only come on if the temp dropped below 5C which is effectively off. You can also turn the water temp in the pipes down a bit in the spring and autumn so when it is on it is milder.
    Sarah Bowden thanked obobble
  • PRO
    Woodpecker Flooring
    7 år sedan

Hi Sarah, any thickness of engineered wood flooring is suitable for underfloor heating - we just advise that the thinner the wear layer, then the better the heat output you'll get. We also advise that underfloor heating is increased or decreased very gradually - no more than 1 degree celcius per day. You can lower this gradually to accomodate for the Summer season.

We also recommend that the floor is left to acclimatise for two to three days after fitting before the underfloor heating is turned on. This will allow it to settle in. When turning it on, set at at 1 degree above the ambient temperature and then increase gradually as explained above.

Hope this helps. There's more info on our FAQs page too: https://woodpeckerflooring.co.uk/resources/faqs/

Sarah Bowden thanked Woodpecker Flooring
  • User
    7 år sedan
    We are installing 21mm thick engineered oak (6mm wear layer) over ufh and have been in a house with a slightly thicker 22mm floor and it was lovely and toasty. Don't worry too much about sticking with 18mm and just pick a floor you love :)

I've read the same advice about rugs and I'm not sure I would risk it but I have to say that in the only 2 houses I've been in with ufh, they both had rugs!
  • User
    7 år sedan
    Also I meant to add that although you are told never to turn it off, the only reason for this is because of the time it takes to heat up and cool down, it's not instantaneous so they recommend leaving it on at a low temp so that it has less work to do to get back up to heat. You can definitely turn it off though. We love a cool bedroom all year round and will probably never have it on in that room!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.