jess_vanelk

Kitchen splashback? Need help!

Jess Van elk
7 år sedan
senast redigerad:7 år sedan

Benchtop will be Caesarstone Frosty Carrina.

Originally thought White subway tile with grey grout???? Any suggestions??

Now thinking its stale??

Walls to be Dulux white duck half strength & vivid white trims.

Kommentarer (36)

• Sandra C.
    7 år sedan
    I would use a white glass splash back to make your tops pop
    Jess Van elk thanked Sandra C.
  • siriuskey
    7 år sedan

Waltham Jewel - Kitchen with sculpted skylight effect over kitchen workspaces · Mer info
    Splash back same as bench top, your didn't mention flooring but your kitchen looks amazing

Jess Van elk thanked siriuskey
  • Jazzi Upton
    7 år sedan

how about textured white tile/white grout?? the texture will make it interesting,the gloss white will tie in with colour scheme and make the place look bigger/brighter and tiles are durable... If you go with white then if you sell it is a neut colour so people can visualise their own style there.

Jess Van elk thanked Jazzi Upton
  • Jazzi Upton
    7 år sedan

this photo is before I finished.

Jess Van elk thanked Jazzi Upton
  • Gallifrey
    7 år sedan

Please do not use glass or subway tiles. Have a look at Southern Cross tiles. for tiles with some personality.

Jess Van elk thanked Gallifrey
  • Melissa Kay
    7 år sedan
    Red Glass.....no grout lines to struggle to keep clean
    Jess Van elk thanked Melissa Kay
  • lynnh100
    7 år sedan

yep white - our back bedroom and hallway is white duck and we love it - will look good with white (very crisp)

Jess Van elk thanked lynnh100
  • Lindsey Christensen
    7 år sedan

May I ask what colour your cupboards are?

Jess Van elk thanked Lindsey Christensen
  • antonia_d
    7 år sedan
    I have the same colour benchtop as you do and extended it to my splashback. I love it.
    Jess Van elk thanked antonia_d
  • Debbie Fisher
    7 år sedan

I'm not a fan of white subway. They remind me of public places. If you are having under cabinet lighting a highly polished textured tile will allow the light to bounce of it. (This looks great at night)

We are so spoilt for choice with backsplashes. You have to first think do you want it to stand out, or just blend in and compliment you tops. I like both tile and glass. I have seen a glass backsplash panel the other day that had a very faint pattern behind it. (Pattern choice is endless)

I am unsure wether you can make it out?

I appreciate your dilemma, I am there too. Good luck Jess, :))

Jess Van elk thanked Debbie Fisher
  • Natalie Watson
    7 år sedan

Following for great, current ideas.

Glass is out.

I too love subway tiles with a darker grout but am worried it's on it's way out as well (it's been done to death, really).

I think a white, patterned / textured tile is probably the way to go. Or same in pale grey for a bit of contrast maybe.

Jess Van elk thanked Natalie Watson
  • Natalie Watson
    7 år sedan

Given the openness of your space... what about mirror?

• User
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I can't see subways in this style of kitchen, laid herringbone maybe?

Timber floors? Mirror or smoked mirror would work.

It looks like it needs texture as it is. There have been a couple suggestions of textured tiles already and I think they are spot on. Depends a bit on your floor though.

Jess Van elk thanked User
  • Natalie Watson
    7 år sedan
    What about a textured subway tile?
  • philippawright
    7 år sedan

Online the Cesarstone looks like it is quite a warm tone - you will need to look carefully to match your whites. I agree some texture would be good but this also depends on other finishes in the room. I don't think subways really work, but continuation of the cesar stone is an option but tends to be expensive.

Jess Van elk thanked philippawright
  • Jess Van elk
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Dark vinyl plank,

open plan living.

Living to the right of the kitchen and dining situated in front of kitchen.

• User
    7 år sedan

What time of day did you take these photos? The floor is lovely and will add contrast.

Mirror. Plain (not smoked or antique) mirror. It will reflect your garden, pull more light in and bounce it around.

Jess Van elk thanked User
  • Jess Van elk
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Late afternoon around 4pm I think :)

• Alana Walker
    7 år sedan
    Your house is lovely Jess ;)
    Jess Van elk thanked Alana Walker
  • Georgina
    7 år sedan
    Your new kitchen will be amazing. I'd skip the ubiquitous subway tiles. Maybe a marble or limestone tile in an interesting shape or laid in a herringbone pattern - if you want to avoid colour. I think some colour and pattern would be great though and add a wow factor.
    Jess Van elk thanked Georgina
  • PRO
    Brisbane Kitchens and Bathrooms
    7 år sedan
    Your kitchen is looking lovely! A mirror splash back is stylish and you don't need to clean pesky grout. Otherwise have Stegbar scan and print your favourite wallpaper onto the back of glass to create a unique and classy look for your kitchen.
    Jess Van elk thanked Brisbane Kitchens and Bathrooms
  • PRO
    Beretta tiles
    7 år sedan
    i suggest carrara marble herringbone
    Jess Van elk thanked Beretta tiles
  • Debbie Fisher
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

Hi Jess, what a beautiful home you have. Your a lucky girl. Have a look at a post from "Rachael". Which pendant light ? She has a beautiful backsplash of mosaic black tiles. The area is similar to yours. Maybe worth a look ? I'm not saying black is a good choice of colour for you against your tops but the idea of a small tile may look nice. :) mosaic tiles seem to be popular at the moment.

• PRO
    That Metal Company
    7 år sedan

Hi Jess, your kitchen is going to be divine. For splashback and even counter fronts, have you ever considered 100% metal? It's easy to install, easy to clean, can be installed behind a stove, and can look continuous due to large sheets and hairline joins. Metal in polished brass, brushed copper, satin gold, weathered, acid etched... we have over 100 beautiful finishes. Metal adds texture, WOW factor, and many options will reflect the light; great for your Butler's Pantry too. I'm Ange and my business partner is Ali. Together we know ALL about metal as we are the largest suppliers in Australia and New Zealand. We'd love to help you. letschat@thatmetalcompany.com.au

• siriuskey
    7 år sedan

My first choice would be splash back same as bench top, can be
    expensive, perhaps the butlers room could have a mirror to reflect light
    and save on cost.

I have some photos of some lovely small tile Mosaic splash backs for you. Also
    why use vinyl look timber instead of floating or timber flooring, A
    very good friend has just recently used the Vinyl and she is very
    disappointed, like wise, it's not cheap either. If you do go ahead make
    sure that the floor is totally smooth as very little lump ding etc will
    show and be felt.

Contemporary Shaker Kitchen · Mer info

Claremont · Mer info

Cross St · Mer info

Kitchen · Mer info

• siriuskey
    7 år sedan

Claremont · Mer info

Claremont · Mer info

Claremont · Mer info

Claremont · Mer info

Claremont · Mer info
    Some more of the same house with kitchen from different angles

• Nicole K
    7 år sedan
    Caeserstone frosty carina is more yellow toned so I would stay away from a white splashback tile- what about mirror ??
    Jess Van elk thanked Nicole K
  • harryinahurry
    7 år sedan

ignore the 'what's in or out of fashion' and go with what you love, after all everything goes in and out of fashion at some point

Jess Van elk thanked harryinahurry
  • Jo M
    7 år sedan

I'm with the add some texture advise.

Jess Van elk thanked Jo M
  • Rachael
    7 år sedan
    How about the hexagon tiles? I did them all through my house - see my pics to see the different colors I used. My bathrooms are the marble look hex, the laundry white with dark grout & kitchen black with white grout ...
    Jess Van elk thanked Rachael
  • siriuskey
    7 år sedan

yes as above in my last post these tiles look great, your place is really lovely

• Gallifrey
    7 år sedan

These tiles also come in different colours which would look great in your kitchen. We were unsure but took a risk, and love them.

Jess Van elk thanked Gallifrey
  • Bryce Ruthenberg
    7 år sedan
    grey or bronze mirror.
    Jess Van elk thanked Bryce Ruthenberg
  • brennz
    7 år sedan

Forget subways, really overdone & can look so cheap. The more grout you have the more cleaning you'll have to do. It collects grime ( known in the trade as 'grotty grout' ) & is hard to maintain.

Go for glass, the possibilities are endless, from sophisticated plain to funky patterned. Easy care & long lasting. Personalise your space, it looks really fab, love all your drawers, so practical ! Would love to see the end result. Please post pics.

Jess Van elk thanked brennz
  • PRO
    DECO Australia
    7 år sedan

Love where you are going with your kitchen Jess, but tiles are definitely out! If you want something that stands the test of time, you're not going to want to deal with the cleaning involved with tile splashbacks. Aluminium splashbacks have to be the easiest to clean and you can get any image you want. For your kitchen I would consider a marble design or hexagon tile pattern. Have a look at the DecoSplash range here:

DecoSplash Colour Range

Good luck!

Jess Van elk thanked DECO Australia
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.