laurent_vivier

House in Progress - #Victorian Semi-Detached

Laurent
7 år sedan
Work in progress #Victorianhouse

Any ideas on balustrade?

Any ideas on new front door step?

Comments: I'm thinking about a Permeable Resin Driveway I think looks modern and sleek on old buildings however would a standard permeable brick be better option. I've added a picture from #Sureset colour Tuscan Barley Beach thoughts please.

Any other general comments would be appreciated.

#PaulBrickPointing
#DWTimberSupplies
#TravisPerkins
#DuluxTrade #Weathershield
#Selcobw
#CureIt
#ThamesRoofing&BuildingSupplies
#BareWood #NaturalOak
#AlsopsHeritageHardware

Kommentarer (27)

• titiankim
    7 år sedan
    That's an amazing transformation. Following because I'm thinking about driveways too, so will be interested to see what people have to say
  • Laurent
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Hey Headers13

any chance you could put a pic up? you make some good points thanks.

I'm still in 2 minds for a few reasons.

cost of resin drive seems much higher most commercial firms seem to sell the grids at around £14-20per Sq Mt, plus geo textile and stabilisation mesh, edging, aggregates and resin compounds. sounds like a lot of product and work to me though again would welcome anyone's thoughts as I've never installed a drive before and I'm going purely off my own research.

also how do the Resin drives age in comparison to and block drives?

thanks
  • PRO
    Bath Bespoke
    7 år sedan

Wonderful transformation!

• Chris Goodchild
    7 år sedan

My preference is to go with block paviours, in the future if, for any reason you need to run a new water main/cables or gas or repairone of them, paviours are easy to lift and reinstate. With resin you would have to start from the beginning again.

I have the same argument with mcro cement, it may be tough but seamless repairs are difficult.

• PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    7 år sedan

I would fit a timber balustrade. Is there an original in the street to copy? Are you replacing the windows? You can get factory-finished double-glazed windows that will look exactly right.

• Laurent
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Unfortunately from what I can see the 3 other houses positioned to the left of mine all have replacements. I checked at our local museum for pictures but unfortunately there were none of my street though I did find out the year it was built 1900-1901.

Any ideas on what type of wooden balustrade would suit?

Windows I was thinking about keeping and upgrading if possible make good, draft proof, new seals, paint etc.
    I dont want plastic double glaze but would be interested in wood double glaze.
  • headers13
    7 år sedan

Hi Laurent - here it is. It's been raining but usually all the same colour. It's having a new gas meter box so ignore the grim one !

• headers13
    7 år sedan

It's had new wooden double glazed sash windows as well & a new wooden partly glazed front door. We're pleased with it all. Pity the bins are there but don't want to keep dragging round the back......

• Chris Goodchild
    7 år sedan

Regarding your windows, you can double glaze the existing units with something like Slimlite ( http://www.sashglass.co.uk/ ) , that wayyou can improve what you have without the additional cost of removing the old and installing new sashes. If the ones you have are reasonable it is worth renovating them with DG and draught proofing to save on heating. Reddiseals in the UK make most of the parts you need to repair and draughtproof and Slimlite or similar will provide better insulation.

• rush2
    7 år sedan

Hello, the transformation is amazing! I'm really interested in what you used to remove the paint from the brickwork? Did you use chemical or high pressure water to remove it all? Would you mind recommending the professional company if you used one? Thank you

• Laurent
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    hey headers

Great job the drive looks awesome, the step with vic tiles spot on with dark colour drive. I'm thinking of doing something very similar with the step remould it square and use Victorian tile finish. bet you were pleased when it was finished.
  • Laurent
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Chris thanks for the website on the slimlite I've heard of the glass but thought it was only available to certain suppliers. reddiseals really useful site. I'll have to price up fixing and time it take me to fix or saving bit more for new ones. though I have do have a strange affection for them broken old windows as they've stood so long unloved.
  • Victoria
    7 år sedan
    This is Tuscan barley beach, been down two years. We love it.
  • lkirk44
    7 år sedan
    Too orange
  • Laurent
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Hey Rush 2

I used a guy called Paul and would certainly recommend.
    Is your house painted or rendered ?
    Do you have a pic?

I read about a variety of different ways to remove with varying results. But with my house the guys used water at a soft pressure and grinders to remove the old pointing. Then made good any damaged bricks and replaced blown ones. In the end I was lucky and we only replaced a few bricks. I must also add Pauls pointing work is awesome and definitely one of the reasons I went with him as finish is everything.

Brickwork:
    Cost: 7k plus £8per brick replacement
    http://www.paulbrickpointing.co.uk/
    3/4 weeks.

Stonework:
    My friend is a mason by trade so I bought materials but expect to pay £130-£200 a day for mason work 7- 10.days

http://cornishlime.co.uk/information/paint-stripping/
    Schediel SG94 to remove paint from stone. £300

http://www.lime-mortars.co.uk/stone-restoration/stone-repair-mortar
    Repairs to stone.
    £300

Painting:
    My mate paints hotels for a living u want some one a good eye for lines £120per day x 3/4 days
    I liked the Farrow and Ball exterior stuff but in the end went with tired and tested for longevity Dulux Weathershied, I used a satin and not gloss finish.
    Dulux Weathershied primer preserve, exterior flexible undercoat, and white satin top coat.
  • Laurent
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Victoria

drive looks a beaut I'm really liking the color finish thanks I want 1 now lol. did you find the price much different to cost of bricks?
  • Victoria
    7 år sedan
    Laurent, we never even looked at brick pavers as we planned to have resin all along. We have had brick drives before and despise weeding.
    It is laid on top of open bound tarmac so water drains straight through so it meets SUDS guidance. We hardly ever get water in the drain gully.
  • Coco
    7 år sedan

stunning transformation!! I love it! :D

• Laurent
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Hi Victoria

Cheers for the comments great tips.

Any recommendations for installers ?

My front is about 35sqm, do you remember roughly how many days it took to install?

Thanks
  • Victoria
    7 år sedan
    Our driveway is about 150m2, it took two days of prep work, then a day for tarmac and another for the resin. We are in Hertfordshire and used Focus Paving.
  • rush2
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

Hello Laurent - thank you so much for the recommendations! The brickwork looks stunning.

Consider the aspect of the house when choosing driveway colour. My house is north facing and doesn't get much sun so I plan to have a driveway in a lighter colour.

• Resh
    6 år sedan

Love the transformation on the front! We are in the middle of doing a Victorian house, and getting the brickwork up to scratch will be third priority: interior (underway - see my threads on here!), front security gates, then exterior in the spring.

On the driveway - are the resin ones that look like gravel, but aren't e.g. gravel set into a resin? Saw one at a hotel and it looked great with a period building. I would be worried about what to do if I needed to reach services underneath it like gas/water etc, though...

• Victoria
    6 år sedan

Ducting is your friend, Resh :-)

• Karen
    6 år sedan
    Love the transformation! We're also considering a resin-bound driveway (love the sandy or light grey colours). I'll be following this thread with great interest!
  • E D
    6 år sedan
    The brickwork looks fantastic! Are they now back to the original colour?
    Must have been quite a job.
    Lovely wooden gable.
    Have you considered planting for the front garden as well? I always feel it can add so much character and more.
    Probably beneficiary for the environment as well. :)
  • andrewbooton
    6 år sedan
    Lovely to see its restoration. You can see the life returning to it. Well done. Look forward to more updates.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.