persimmon369

Need Help With the Kitchen in a House We Are Soon Buying

persimmon369
11 år sedan
I have seen many creative ideas posted on this inspiring Web site, and I would love your help! We are in the process of buying a house that we are excited about and will be moving into soon. The kitchen needs some help. It has newer appliances and even though I like the look of stainless, I don't want to replace the black appliances. We are planning on being in this home for 3 or 4 years, so my goal is to make it look as nice as possible, as economically as possible. With that in mind, I don’t think that means replacing both the cabinets and countertops. My first inclination was to paint the cabinets and have granite countertops installed, but when I asked for the advice of the realtor (for purposes of selling the house in the future), her opinion is that painted cabinets look like a half-way remodel. My questions for you are:
1) Should I paint the cabinets anyway (if so, what color would coordinate with the wood-stained trim in the rest of the house)?
2) If I paint the cabinets, what countertops would be best?
3) If it's better to leave the cabinets as they are, should I replace the countertops or leave the original?
4) What paint color would go nicely with the wood trim in the great room and coordinate with the kitchen?
I will post photos of some other areas of the house so you can get the flavor of it (mountain/rustic). I can't wait to move in and paint the walls and decorate! Thank you for your help!

Kommentarer (106)

• PRO
    NKBA Puget Sound
    10 år sedan
    Our upcoming Kitchen & Bath Tour would be a great place to get ideas & meet talented kitchen/bath designers & contractors.... :-) http://www.houzz.com/photos/users/nkbagkbt2013
  • djad
    10 år sedan
    Yes, it does seem I was channeling more of a modern traditional than modern contemporary. I think I was looking at the style of the photos you posted for wall color and went from there...

Oh, and coby the photos weren't necessarily refaced kitchens. Just added them for parts of design ideas. Apologies for the confusion. I have seen some really nice ones on here with a search, however. Actually, some were quite remarkable and deserving of your appreciation!

Below is a reface photo. I think it is along the lines of the wall color you had in mind with a more contemporary twist. The color is maybe a bit lighter for the wall than what you are thinking, but it shows how you can work with dark cabinets and that wall color. Nice stainless pulls. All white and dark counter would be great too. It would make it lighter and more airy.

Couple ideas to throw out if you do decide to just have new cabinets installed. What about moving the fridge to the corner of the wall that the stove is on? You would loose some cabinet space, but I think it would really open up the kitchen. Is there space for that? I think dark with light countertops would work then. Then instead of a bar extending out, maybe that area could be transformed with an island. Light surrounding cabinets with a dark island with either a white marble top or part white and part wood worktop to tie in the rest of the wood in the house. I've seen a lot of that combo. Or just shortening the bar a bit would really open up the space. The one photo makes it look blocked in, but the other is more open? Hard to tell.. Then, of course, you would need new flooring.. I am working up your budget! And, I am rambling on again!

Good luck with the move in and snow! I have friends in Colorado and they can't help but speak of the crazy never-ending winter! Kids are enjoying the snow days from school though! Can't wait to see what you decide on!
  • djad
    10 år sedan
    This kitchen is cool!
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    I thought that 3 of your first photos were very contemporary and those were my favorites of the four photos. I think I didn't communicate that properly. These are more beautiful options, djad. We did talk about moving the refigerator like you brought up and I think that would be a good move even if we lost one set of cabinets. If we replace the cabinets, we will most likely do that and remove the soffet. I agree that those two changes would make the kitchen look much more open. I was hoping to get a jump by starting some of the move myself today but it is snowing quite a bit!
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    Hi Persimmon. It's a beautiful day here in Komoka, Canada.
    Our pool is open, it's 21 degrees and the sun is shining. Said that to show you USA folks we in Canada, at least in southern Ontario, don't have snow all year. Ha. ( just read discussion about snow )

Anyway I have a question for you. When you say modern, contemporary I am not sure what you mean now. Are you thinking straight lines. Linear. Unadorned? Maybe you could show a picture of what you're thinking??

Hope your move goes well!!
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    I too was thinking modern trad like djad.
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    Btw. Love your ideas djad. Exciting but not very fiscally responsible. Ha
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år sedan
    The best money you can spend is to update a kitchen. I love your new home. But the kitchen is dated. First of all painting those cabinet would be a waste of time. I would get bids on either refacing them. Or or take out and replace with. New dark color. Counters granite for sure. Since black appl. Go a gray / black with a lite background. Replace sink with stainless, with new faucet . Remove window cover replace with roman shade. Paint whole area one color, no border in kitchen or anywhere ever! Replace pendant lights with color decide after you pick paint color. I like the new grays out now with white trim. Remember you get back 3x your investment when you remodel a kitchen. You will never regret it.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år sedan
    Granite counters the grays, paint all rooms same the blue grays are nice. Kitchen cannot be saved. Replace cabinets don't paint them. Won't help. Stain bar to match. Cabinets should be dark. Replace sink with stainless. Remove window cover. Roman shade is good. Flooring in slate looks really good in rustic homes. Remember you get 3 x your investment back, when you update a kitchen.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år sedan
    Ikea is great price for cabinets. Replace range hood with vented over the range microwave. In black. Keep all appl same color. And yes sink has to go. Usually with granite they give you a free stainless sink. New counters will really make the room. Have granite tie in with wall color. So if going a latte on walls go a gold / brown on granite. Etc.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år sedan
    Love the stack stone for back splash. Looks rustic.
  • PRO
    Building Company Number 7, Inc.
    10 år sedan
    You will get a better ROI with a kitchen remodel. Nice clean white cabinets with granite countertops and tile backsplash with tile flooring with be your best option. IKea cabinets are a great budget friendly option. Here is an Ikea kitchen remodel that we did a few weeks ago. Its modern but still comfortable and family friendly.
  • PRO
    Premium Hardware, LLC
    10 år sedan
    Rather than stainless steel knobs and pulls consider a pewter color so that you can bring in the black appliance color and still have the warmth of pewter.
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks travisinteriors and Building Company No 7 for the constructive comments and ideas!
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    coby0042, I LOVE Canada!! It has some of the most stunning scenery I have ever seen (Victoria, Vancouver, Banff, Lake Louise and in between are some of the places I've been able to visit so far). I haven't made it to Ontario - yet. I am still in touch with a friend I made while we both were part of a symphony band that toured Europe (this was way back after graduating from high school). He lives in Alberta and posts the most glorious pictures of his area. The people there are very warm and friendly. I'm not surprised that you are having a beautiful day (while we are getting snow!). The photos (except for the more traditional one) that djad posted are what I meant by contemporary. Am I right by classifying those as contemporary/modern? I like traditional too but I envision more contemporary for this house. I'll attach my favorite that djad posted so you don't have to scroll around trying to find them. I do think that would be an expensive kitchen redo.
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    Wow! I feel like I know you. I am musician too!! Piano and voice. I toured around after high school too!! That was like 9000 years ago. Haha. I was in a rock band though.ha.

Ok ...got what you're after now!!! You're getting enough feedback here eh? I mean from everybody. Pretty cool!!
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    Ok, with this photo in mind. I think it would be fabulous but you need to bring some rustic elements in to space to have it relate to the home.

If you end up replacing kitchen, I agree killer island would be super!!
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Same here, coby0042 - it seems we have a lot in common (except your musical background sounds so much cooler)! You're one of those warm and friendly people from Canada I was mentioning before. It's been phenomenal to get so much good information and positive feedback and help here. I feel grateful for it and hope to incorporate many of the ideas.
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    Check out these ideas. What do you think?
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    What instrument do you play? I actually have a degree in classical piano, so I'm not really that cool.ha
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    10 år sedan
    Great looking house. I think the realtor is right, I don't know that painting the cabinets is the best way to go. I think the wood matches the feel of the home. I do think painting the great room and kitchen would be wise, but you want to stick with something that has an earth tone. I'd go with Stonington Gray by Benjamin Moore- http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/stoningtongray

You might want to install new hardware on the cabinets. I think a brushed nickel could work better, and give the space a more modern feel. Leaving the black appliances should be fine, though I do think installing stainless would bring you more of a return when you sell. You could post the black appliances on craigslist to sell- just an idea.

Again, for resale I would consider upgrading the countertops to granite. I think our King Ivory granite countertops would look great in this kitchen, you can see them here- http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/stoningtongray

Hope that this was helpful. Good luck!
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks for the example photos, I like them all. Looking at actual examples allows me to get some different visuals of directions we can go. Thank you! The first photo is really unique and I like that wood.
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    That's a nice color, Granite Transformations. Your suggestions are helpful - thanks.
  • PRO
    Woodart Design & Furniture
    10 år sedan
    Hi, Here some pic's from our last projects, hope this can help you! Good luck on your renovation project!! :-)
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Wow - classical piano, coby0042! I played a few different instruments. The French Horn was my favorite.
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Woodart Design - very high-end, creative projects. Can you tell me the material of the high-gloss white cabinetry?
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    You're awesome!! I couldn't make French horn sound good if my life depended on it. :)
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    And I couldn't pound out anything recognizable on the piano!
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    Persimmon369. I want your opinion. I too have a dilemma. I am having discussions in this app as well. My heading is "Taking a pole..." If you can find, I would love to know what you think
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Some more pic's
  • Nancy Walton
    10 år sedan
    I know everyone mentions IKEA as being an inexpensive kitchen replacement, but I would not want to buy a house with an IKEA kitchen. Why? The metal drawer construction screams cheap to me... Give me a well-constructed, plywood, dovetail construction over that any day. I played the trumpet and French horn, too.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 år sedan
    Yes, Granite Transformations is cheaper than slab granite, but it is 1/4" thick and looks more uniform like quartz, since it is a man-made process of combining granite pieces into a base, similar to the quartz-type tops. Or Sile-Stone tops. You don't get the beauty of the natural stone, but it also has the durability that granite doesn't have, like not having to be sealed on a regular basis.
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    I agree w nancy re ikea. A friend used ikea for cottage kitchen. Nightmare. I didn't know that about granite transformations. Thanks for the info. Hey!!!!! Musicians are THE BEST!!!
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    Persimmon369, the kitchen was on polyurethane, all made in house!
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    Wow! Woodart! Nice work!!
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Thank you Coby0042
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    It's very attractive. It seems like it would function well. Is it more durable and more easily cleaned? Seems like it would be. How does it compare in cost to wood cabinetry?
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Persimmon369 polyurethabe is just the finish apply on a solid wood cabinet. Definitely is more easy to clean and mantain. Costly is more expensive but is worth for the look you get!
  • djad
    10 år sedan
    Hey, I played drums. We could almost start a band! :)
  • djad
    10 år sedan
    Glad you liked that kitchen best. I thought it was gorgeous too. Here is the link to the entire house. It is certainly a very nice place. I thought the wood upstairs hinted at yours and thought it was a good combo to throw out there.

Ugh, my ipad is not letting me paste the link? Look up 'Woodvalley House' in the search bar above and the kitchen photos are on the first and second pages. Wow, amazing house when you go through the photos.
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks for the info, Woodart.
  • coby0032
    10 år sedan
    Haha. Great idea re band. Now, let's design our stage set. Ha
  • julieellen
    10 år sedan
    I am also in the anti ikea kitchen group.... Fine for a holiday house or something that isn't used often but it would definitely deter me from buying a home...
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks for the input about IKEA cabinetry. Good to know! I stated moving today (breakables). The big move starts tomorrow. Looking forward to getting settled in.
  • Brenda
    10 år sedan
    ahh ... moving day. it's been 2 decades sinc I've had one of those. don't get stressed out -- enjoy the process. Your home is going to be STUNNING.
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks for the encouragement, Brenda! That helps put things in perspective. I think by the end of the weekend, things will feel very differently (I hope)! Thanks also for all of your well-thought -out ideas.
  • djad
    10 år sedan
    Hi! Hope things have gone well for you. I would love an update on how you decided to tackle the kitchen!
  • Nancy Walton
    10 år sedan
    Yes, photos please!
  • persimmon369
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    We just started contacting contractors and sadly neither of the two who came out to give me a bid have yet to submit a bid! Still looking. Thanks for checking back.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.