amelia_cason

Updating a Tudor Exterior (from someone who dislikes Tudors)

A O
7 år sedan
senast redigerad:7 år sedan

We are considering buyers a Tudor. It's not my favorite style, but about 70% of the homes in our desired area are Tudors, so I don't have many options. How would you brighten up + modernize this fairly dated house? (It's 1923 with a lot of hideous 1980s touches inside) A red door? Better plantings? Remove the 3 trees by the solarium? We love the location but I need to get a little more excited about this particular house.

Kommentarer (16)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan

I would consider painting the stucco a darker color to reduce the impact of the Tudor look. The gray doesn't work, imo. You have a beautiful home here, but will need a very large after "closing" budget to do the work you need to make this home yours. Consider that very carefully. I see at least $75K-200K worth of work inside depending on your choices of elements and finishes. Outside just taking some of those trees out figure $800-1,200 each. It is a beautiful property and if the location and your timing, supports that type effort and investment, then go ahead. If not, move on.

• acm
    7 år sedan

Maybe just paint the trim to match the house on the right side there (although dark windows are nice) and leave the rest for another year?

• Ken
    7 år sedan
    The exterior actually looks fine. The hardest part about this for you will be accepting the Tudor. As soon as you do that you'll be able to see options and changes better.

If the solarium is on the left I'd say leave the trees. Great shade and look for this house. You couldn't plan that part and growth of mature trees better. But you want pop because you said red door. Consider adding shutters. Muted color not too bright but matching the house. If you want to change the fascia. It can be costly but rewarding. The shape will remain Tudor but the look will be a blast.

Try wood paneling. Cover what's there with wood. Either the stucco or the Rick or both depending on the look. Id start with covering the stucco as the wood and brick may pop like you want it. I'd suggest either a light wood color. Almost like stained cedar American stain. Go to Lowes. There's a stain called American. Yellow can. Or a darker. I'm thinking walnut as it's darker yet lighter enough to and then since the door is encased in the brick part of the house replace the door with matching wood or grain /stain. This will rejuvenate the house exterior. And complimented with black shutters on the window with the wood. Pop pop beauty. But the outside actually looks good.

To create a physics change to the outside which is really a budget. Tudors easily translate to Victorian or even more drama. It simple classic Greek revival. These are two options to help enhance and works well with your house bones to change the look while not causing a complete mass over haul and spending crazy crazy money. So you have options.

1. Add black shutters. And change door.
    2. Wood fascia to replace the stucco and do number 1.
    3. Add wood fascia to entire house and do number 1.
    4. Overhaul the exterior for Victorian
    5. Overhaul the exterior for Greek revival
    Good luck. I'm excited for you. But the best bet and cheapest and most dramatic draw without doing too much, #2. Have fun.
    A O thanked Ken
  • User
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I'd be pretty pissed if someone put a direct link to my house on here. Sure....anyone could look. But if I wanted opinions on the inside, I would link to the listing myself.

• nuthinontv
    7 år sedan

Yeegads! I'm cringing at the suggestions: "overhaul" it into a Greek Revival or Victorian! Whaaaa!? Sorry, but this house IS A Mock Tudor! Taking a crowbar and forcing a 1920s era home with great bones is so bass akwards I... can't ... even. Hire a pro to respectfully (underline respectfully) move the interior forward, or keep looking.

• sas95
    7 år sedan

I know that area well, and the whole neighborhood is filled with these lovely Tudor revival homes. They are what make the neighborhood so special. Turning this into a faux Victorian or Greek revival would be bad for the house and would look silly on the street. If you don't like the style of the house, keep looking and let someone buy it who appreciates it for what it is.

• A O
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you for all the suggestions. However, now that the link to the listing has been posted, I'm going to try to remove this thread. I wouldn't want the sellers to see this and get upset before we've signed anything. I think shutters and a door change will help the curb appeal. Maybe down the line, repainting the stucco.

• tedbixby
    7 år sedan

chiflipper can you remove the listing info you posted so that we can continue to help Amelia.

Amelia- I've purchased several homes where the exterior wasn't my favorite but location was a huge deciding factor and the fact that I didn't have to be true to the style of the exterior when I renovated the interior helped deciding to purchase the house. From my own experience, I focus on the interior first and for the exterior a good yard clean-up (removing some trees, etc) until the interior renovation is done. During that time I do research for the exterior and I also get a better feel as to what to do with the exterior. And in some cases, the major exterior overhaul I had expected to do, I didn't as I found with just a few tweeks I became fine with the style. So if location for you and your family is perfect and the interior has the potential to become what your style is- go for it.

A O thanked tedbixby
  • jbtanyderi
    7 år sedan
    This is pseudo Tudo. It's well proportioned, and sits well on its lot. Some rethinking of the landscaping is needed. As for the Interiors, you're on your own.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan
    I think a nice deep sage green combo would blend with property. This actually looks more like English Manor. Perhaps there was Tudor wood detail but it is a very lovely home.
    A O thanked Flo Mangan
  • Bailey R
    7 år sedan

Buy a different house if you don't like it or build something more to your taste.

• A O
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. It was interesting info that it might be more Manor style than Tudor and the possible stucco paint changes. I think we'll be able to work with it. As to why I would buy a house where I don't love the style - a house we can afford, with 4 bedrooms, in a good school district, walkable to the train and a short commute to Manhattan definitely outweighs any of my nit-picky exterior style concerns. We've seen about 60 houses and very few check all these boxes. I'll miss my current gorgeous mid-century modern house but I'm sure the more time I spend in the land of Tudors, the more this more old-fashioned style will grow on me.

• sandi125
    7 år sedan
    As a fan of 1920's-30's houses, I hope you will learn to appreciate it's character. It's a lovely home on a lovely lot. I'm sure the inside may need a little TLC. I hope things work out for your family.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan
    Here is English Manor styling. Similarities to your potential home. The one you are considering is prettier.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan
    One more example.
    A O thanked Flo Mangan
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.