tracyraven

Looking for creative ideas

Tracy R
7 år sedan
This is the base of an old corn silo behind our barn. We are finishing up the addition of the barn and I am looking for creative ideas of what to do with this area. I can just fill it in with dirt but hoping to do something cool but can't figure out really anything. (Excuse all the trash, this is actually 90% cleaner than when we bought it.). A pond of some sort would be cool but can't figure out how that would work. Any ideas? It's behind the barn next to where we have an upper deck which I would also like ideas of what to do. HELP. Y'all are all so awesome!

Kommentarer (17)

• partim
    7 år sedan

Fire pit?

• lefty47
    7 år sedan

HI -- You neglected to tell us the size of this concrete circle .

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år sedan

How will the barn be utilized, how far is this from the house, and what direction does this side of the barn face?

Some ideas off the bat: herb garden, sand box, foundation for a wishing well, foundation for a children's play castle (turret anyone?).

• happyleg
    7 år sedan

No fire pit too close to building. Home Improvement store has kits for ponds.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    7 år sedan

THAT IS SO FRIGGING COOL! I love these repurposing projects. We're actually starting the design process for a client who is converting an old dairy barn into a brewery, and anything on the property is fair game. So I'm in farm junk mode all the time right now.

I absolutely love the idea of a water feature. Like lindsey mentioned though, it would be helpful to know more info. Is the barn being used as living space? What's the overall function intended to be where this thing is?

• PRO
    Curb Appeal Fixers Landscaping
    7 år sedan

Looks like it used to be an old silo that was behind the barn, here's and idea reconstruct the silo into a little studio (like two story tiny houses/tree house).

• User
    7 år sedan

Nice that you're looking to repurpose, rather than tear it out. This could be the mother of all planters. Depending on your climate, 3-4 season garden- add color. It'd be really fun to grow some corn there, but that's a big plant that can really get out of hand, not tended.

Pond? Maybe, depending again on climate. If it gets cold/freezes, then some (much?) of the time a water feature might need to be turned off.

• PRO
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

Restoration project

R.S. view, Automobile Garage · Mer info

Industrial Living Space · Mer info

This was almost a restoration project I really wanted to do but unfortunately the building got knocked down for traffic updates to road construction, but I still keep my design plans aside for later use as my design studio.

• teamaltese
    7 år sedan
    I would paver the area around the silo remnant, and use the remnant as the base of a fountain.
  • Tracy R
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    I love all these suggestions! I attached some more pics so you can see where our house is too (the smaller building is an old milk house). The new addition to the barn is a work shop. The barn just holds old barn wood from dilapidated buildings on the property until we can reside it to keep the bats and raccoons out. Eventually we will use the bottom for small farm animals or storage and the top as a party/ entertainment area. We built a bar up there and have a deck coming off of it.
    The area we are talking about doesn't get much sun, tons of moss growing under the new deck. I would love it to be an area to hang out. The inside of the old silo is 7ft.
    I hope this helps!
  • PRO
    7 år sedan

If you raise some ducks for eggs it would make a good water feature for them.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 år sedan

• flopsycat1
    7 år sedan

Another off-the-wall idea: use as a base for a sculpture made of old farm implements. Maybe some vintage pieces are hidden in your barn.

• nuthinontv
    7 år sedan

I'd enlist a backhoe to try to relocate this to a more suitable spot near the house. Plant a lettuce garden if in shade, or create a mini trellis structure/build a rebar tree umbrella and a plant climbing vine (grapes) if in the sun. If it was larger I'd def gone with a cornzebo but at 7' that's too small.

PS: would've made a great chicken coop cornzebo if you had the "lid" still

• Tracy R
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Decoenthisiest I love that first idea! If would be a great little hanging out nook!
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år sedan

Since you have kids in your life, turning it into a ground-level hammock would be cool. My kids and their cousins would love hanging out there. Like this, but not on the ceiling:

Architect's Studio · Mer info

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.