ek5686

Help! Need design advice for our media console

ek5686
7 år sedan
senast redigerad:7 år sedan

Hi, We are considering either getting custom built-in cabinets installed in this space as a media console, or buying the Livingston model from Pottery Barn.

If we buy the one from PB, there will be 2.5 inches on each side. Any thoughts?

Kommentarer (66)

• Porter Edun
    7 år sedan

The room would be claustrophobic with art, rugs, lamps, end tables.......... it's narrow from what I see. It has canned lighting...

• cpaul1
    7 år sedan

Custom would be expensive and you can't take it with you. If you invest in a piece of furniture, you will always have it to do whatever you want with it (move it to a different room, paint/stain it to keep up with changing styles, sell it to offset costs of something else when you get tired of it or don't need it anymore). So I would consider cost in my decision making process. I sometimes feel like built ins will ultimately completely go away because they're just not as flexible as people like to live today and they can quickly overwhelm a space if you're not careful.

• leelee
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I agree with end tables and lamps. From the pictures there doesn't seem to be a place for anyone on the sofas to set a drink or see to read anything in the evening.

Those are basic things that should take precedence over a huge console esp. since the room is small.

Art makes any room look finished. It doesn't matter if the room is narrow or wide.

• leelee
    7 år sedan

Overhead lighting isn't the kind of lighting they need for the evening. It's great for vacuuming though.

• PRO
    Marion Kaufman, free lance designer
    7 år sedan

Check our Ethan Allen's Duke Media Center - low cabinet for TV and 2 tall cabinets on either side - many finishes available. This will frame the TV - take care of the blank space on the wall surrounding the TV - give you storage space and update the room.....

ek5686 thanked Marion Kaufman, free lance designer
  • nirvanaav
    6 år sedan

All of these media cabinets are too tall. They should only be 20"-24" tall for proper viewing height.

• Rina
    6 år sedan

You have enough opinions to weigh on the console, I think, so I just wanted to chirp up on the topic of the black sofa being too dominant. Not if you balance it with art on the opposite wall and, if Ms Mouse could be persuaded to move, a few dark cushions on the light sofa. And vice versa, as you already have, but you need a couple more.

• jbsilver
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

I'd build the wall out about 8-10" and make custom cubby holes for the TV and an electric fireplace along with shelves. The wall treatment is almost endless, faux brick, marble,, wood, and mirrors, book shelves with favorite art on some of them with TV or a combination of either. Who said the TV has to be the focal point. Since its not always on. Oh my God the problem I'd have is which backdrop to use. And don't forget a really standout area rug between the sofas. But I'd switch out one sofa for 2 chairs with table in between and add narrow coffee table or ottoman.

• Deenya Sorenson
    6 år sedan

paint the wall a contrast color especially nice with book case...if unsure get a piece of poster/matt board and try it out first.

• Tom Valdez
    6 år sedan
    Mount the TV on the wall. Place a floating shelves below the TV for box, DVD, etc.. will need to hide the cables inside wall. Clean and modern look.
  • PRO
    Katie Zacharski
    6 år sedan

Hi Ek5686,

You've already recived a lot of great advise & information. I think the most important things to consider are:

What do you want to store

Your budget

If you want open or closed storage

If you want the options of upgrading the TV size

There are pros and cons to all the options, built-ins vs a TV console.

Built ins give you the option of using every inch of the space and allow for a variety of storage, from TV items to board games or extra pillows and blankets if the kids like to have sleep overs.

If this is a basement you could make it feel more inviting by doing a unit on the wall with the light grey couch and do a large sectional along the back wall and wall with the navy couch. This would have your backs facing the walls and the feel of looking out(toward where you took the picture from)

• Susan Davis
    6 år sedan

This might be redundant as I have not read all of the comments, but if I were you I would do a proposed floor plan with enough seating so many people could view the 'game' etc....why not consider the sofa on the longest wall with the TV opposite the sofa for optimal tv viewing? Then add comfy lounge chairs for tv viewing or reading and some small slide cubes for seating and a few more chairs that can be moved to watch the TV when you have a TV party?

Note far wall done as accent with art to add contrast and drama to room.....this could detract from the lower ceiling

Contemporary Family Room · Mer info

Semi curved sectional for optimal seating and addition of comfy ottoman and side chair

Basement Family Room · Mer info

Deep seating with ottomans and additional lounge chairs.....fireplace on back wall, but closed storage with mirror could work too.

Stern Turner Home · Mer info

Just some ideas of where everything goes to enjoy the room the most....eac purhase should make the next purchase easier.

• Buster Bigley
    6 år sedan

Love Susan Davis' idea to relocate the sofa to the long wall. PLEASE consider her idea. Photo #1 is perfect!

• kellyslobodian
    6 år sedan

I like to use Pottery Barn for e ideas but find Wayfair,Birchlane,Josh and Main much better value with free ship,you could do nifty open semi industrial metal wood shelves,many options with your current pieces.I just built a house and use Josh and Main Wayfair all the time 98 percent success.And Free shipping even big items.

• kellyslobodian
    6 år sedan

You could use some accessory pillows ,colors and you could hang TV bit of a pain....like your spaceI would create built in look but like things I can move,take with,or split of for different use later.

• kellyslobodian
    6 år sedan

area Rug under rustic / ottoman coffee tables for beverages or.....feet up... cozy space.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 år sedan

IMO the T.V should go on one of the side walls, and a sofa where you have the T.V and the other facing the T.V then at least a couple of people can waych T.V dead on instead of all at an angle. As for the T.V console if you want the storage and to fill the wall for a decent price check out Best from Ikea you can almost custom design for a space

• Anne Skewes
    6 år sedan
    Every seat needs an end table of some kind. Those two sofas would look anchored if they had those end tables with lamps. Nothing Lilliputian...and a rug would warm it up considerably. And some artwork on the walls. To keep it from being overwhelming, try to have a monochromatic color scheme or two analogous colors, like soft greens and blues. I'd try a thin, tall mirror on either side of tv to give the illusion of windows and to reflect light. I like most of the consoles pictured, especially the PB and the wide bamboo-look. No country!
  • Anne Skewes
    6 år sedan
    The VRA INTERIORS look is gorgeous. Something like this would be perfect for that space. Very calming.
  • equinekdc
    6 år sedan

Without getting into a lot of details, I completely agree with the folks who suggest putting the TV on a long wall and using the back wall and opposite long wall for seating arrangement. Love the Pottery Barn Livingston unit...not sure if your ceiling is too low for the bridge over the top of TV....and yes to a rug, some side tables, table lamps, etc. Good luck !!

• PRO
    Furniture Restyler
    6 år sedan

Another option is to restyle your console to fit your needs. From your picture, it looks like it might be solid wood and well made. If your piece is of good quality and you like the dimensions and storage, restyling can give you a totally new look under the cost of the Pottery Barn piece that you referred to: if you want to expose the interior, the door panels can be replaced by glass and some grid work to add interest; you could add satin nickel pulls and change the finish to a light smoky grey similar to the PB you like; you could change the legs to give the piece a different look.

• Toni McCormick
    6 år sedan

I like Groveraxle's floating media cabinet but maybe shorter.

• PRO
    Pad Group LLC
    6 år sedan
    Forgive me but the room lacks texture or relief of any kind. To recess a pocket for mounting TV in hollow wall with more of a mantle and hidden drawers would increase the value of your house. Furniture can't do that, not to mention the space is already tight and always nice to have more floorspace. Easy project that would most likely cost less. There's my 2 cents and best of luck
  • Anne Skewes
    6 år sedan
    Agree with putting TV on long wall. Everyone has some great ideas. I'm always amazed at what people think up!
  • 1ace
    6 år sedan

I think the positions of your furniture are not allowing for the best TV viewing. The people sitting on the sofas have to turn their heads to watch. Have you considered placing one sofa on the wall where the TV is now? Or maybe instead of buying media furniture, you should buy some modular seating. You could place it in an "L" configuration and mount the TV on the opposite, long wall. To keep the TV from looking lost, treat it like you would a large poster or painting. Use a floating shelf or two and some artwork surrounding the TV. If you need storage space, purchase a storage ottoman. People could use it as a table when you put a tray on it or to put their feet up when watching TV.

• PRO
    Deon Lombard Architects
    6 år sedan

You are probably overwhelmed with advice. Simple is best with good quality materials. A low unobtrusive console containing all your equipment allows you to use the wall above for the TV which should be the focus after all. In the project I did for a client (image below) a linear fireplace below a protective shelf was also included, all on a travertine backdrop.

• Susan Davis
    6 år sedan

Um, wondering if TV is wired for back wall and you feel you have to keep the TV in that position?

It is a very simple matter to have it rewired to a longer wall that is more convenient for TV watching....do not let wires in a wall drive you design accomplishments....move the wires if you have to....Dish complany, etc can move them in a small amount of time for a small price.

• sansi53
    6 år sedan

I inherited this Heywood Wakefield cabinet, part of an original dining room set at the other end of this room. I handled it like this. The TV is backlit and attached to the wall in this case.

• PRO
    Deon Lombard Architects
    6 år sedan

Hi Susan, the wall has a vented cavity to allow cable connection to the console below (and to vent the console as heat is generated by the equipment). The TV and fireplace are located centrally on the end wall.

• Maria Privat
    6 år sedan

Put the TV where the black couch is now. Sell both couches. Get a low L-shaped couch instead, that covers half of the wall the TV is currently on and of course opposite of the TV (where the black couch currently is).

Place on the left side of the TV (or on either side of the TV) a large plant of at least 5 feet high (in matching pots if you go for both sides). Preferably the expensive fake kind, that looks real. Not too expansive at e.g. Ikea. You could also put some high branches in a pot. As long as it is high enough!

The walls are too grey now compared to the warm flooring. Either put a big greyish rug on the floor or repaint the walls in a warmer beige. (I'd go for the last option.) The wall, where the TV will be should be 1 or 2 shades of warm beige darker than the other walls (easier on the eyes, for now the contrast to the TV is too big). Be sure the couch is a bit darker than the walls it rests against.

If you'd like to add a bit of color apart of the green plants, I would suggest a dark orange hue in cushions and the likes. Add two lying or three square rather small paintings above the large end of the couch. Keep the tone warm with dark greens, dark yellows and dark browns to accompany the dark orange and liven up the beige.

If you have done all this, it would hardly matter what you put the TV on. I'd suggest a simple structure in a covert warm color that matches the walls and floor. Do not make it too big, for it will dwarf the room. Better go for something underneath only, or if must be also something of the same kind above (for storage of DVD's).

See to it that you find a source of light that is a lot softer for a more intimate scenery.

To complete it - and if you are not completely broke by now - you could add some wooden beams to the ceiling in a natural color, quite a bit darker than the flooring. If you do this, be sure to buy the cushions after, so they fit in with this element too.

Probably I've lost you halfway this all, but at least I had a lot of fun visualizing how stunning this room could be. The rest of my ideas I will keep to myself. Have fun too!

• allmystufff
    6 år sedan

Save up for built ins on the entire wall due to the location being focal point

• judygilpin
    6 år sedan

How in the heck can you watch TV when the 2 sofas are facing each other ? Doesn't seem like anyone can have a good viewing position. Can you re-arrange the entire room and put the TV on a different wall? Looks like a corridor the way it is now.

• sandeedee
    6 år sedan

Paint or wallpaper the back wall, either get another media console so they go from wall to wall, or find something compatible and with storage for each side- possible open bookshelves. Then, mount the tv higher. I agree that the two couches aren't working- either find a new one that allows traffic on each side or a couch with a chaise piece with the chaise against the wall. You could then place another chair in the room on the opposite side. This doesn't look like it's used for anything besides tv viewing, but even if the use is limited to that you need color and pattern so add throw pillows and a great rug- it will help the sound quality too.

• Harper
    6 år sedan
    Paint the console you have now black and add two of these bookcases
  • PRO
    Blinds-US
    6 år sedan

Do what you feel like .. keep it simple and perfect !! :)

• Anne Skewes
    6 år sedan
    Ok--one more comment after reading the others!:-)
    Mount TV on longer wall; put an L-shaped sectional on opposite wall and current TV's wall; large, simple floor lamp--no overheads!; 8x10 rug; coffee table or large ottoman (storage?); end table one end for drinks; the previous submitted picture with TV, small fireplace--contemporary, clean look--is great!; coordinate paint colors with rug and sofa, whatever you like; think modern and clean, but not brown or beige; Three coordinated pieces artwork over sofa long wall; install recessed lighting in corners for more soft light.
  • teamaltese
    6 år sedan
    TV doesn't have to be centered. We used two consoles, butted together, with the TV off center.
  • amulya1210
    6 år sedan

@groveraxle, do you mind sharing the software you used to get those pictures. I see that you can just replaced the media chest with out changing anything from the original picture. We are designing our house and would love a software that can do show us the end product. thanks for your time.

• groveraxle
    6 år sedan

amulya1210, it's Photoshop Elements, but it has a fairly steep learning curve. If you hire a designer, perhaps s/he will have the capability of doing renderings for you.

• amulya1210
    6 år sedan

thank you groveaxle

• markanthony2k
    6 år sedan

floor speakers

• PRO
    Mogul Interior
    6 år sedan

Spanish Rustic Style Interior.... Unique Furnitures Gives your interior a great look

• leelee
    6 år sedan

ek hasn't checked in since May 4 the date of the original post.

• myplaceone
    6 år sedan

No Tv should be up as high as shown in the pictures above my comment. Bad for the neck and the room looks top heavy, crowded and cluttered.

• Toni McCormick
    6 år sedan

take down this post since there hasn't been a response.

• D
    6 år sedan

Even though EK5686 is not responding this conversation is very helpful to others of us who are looking for similar guidance and suggestions! (Please don't take it down!)

• designgirl178
    6 år sedan

if you can afford it, I always like a built-in look. The PB model is a nice one though.

• Mary M Withrow
    6 år sedan

Neither couch faces the tv, so go for the other wall, as suggested. Buy a black or tan cover and cover the other couch to match with pillows, etc and place them in a { L} shape across the back wall, it would be a better use.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.