chinster12

Tree Removal?

chinster12
6 år sedan
I recently posted this photo for advice on paint color. But after looking at it online I think it maybe time to lose the Japanese Maple by the house and the Sesame Street character tree in front of it. I don't want to kill anything but I think they have just grown too big. Any other suggestions?

Kommentarer (92)

• proveninnocent
    6 år sedan

removing the "sesame street" tree in front of it will greatly improve the look. thin out the Japanese Maple and trim, giving it a sideswept look and then add large smooth rocks at the base for architectural interest.

• scgrdnr51
    6 år sedan

Keep the Japanese maple. When the other tree is gone you will see why.

• lazidazi
    6 år sedan

Think long and hard before removing the JM. Decidedly special tree and they are slow growers. Yes, it was not properly thinned and trimmed as it grew, but that's not to say that it can't be amended now; I think it can.

Key is knowing the difference between pruning and shaping. Shaping is thinning, trimming. Pruning is what one does to rose bushes, lopping off major portions of many branches, resulting in a plant a fraction of its original size, needing the season's growth to bring it back in shape. [Pruning is also what is done - by mistake! - to crepe myrtle trees, in effect, butchering them.]

Shaping a tree is an art, requiring very selective removal of branches to attend its overall shape and grace of canopy. Be careful who you let have a go at trimming it: Your JM is at grave risk at the hand of someone inexperienced and without the artful eye to *see* the improved, properly shaped tree.

I certainly wouldn't get rid of the JM maple before you at least give proper shaping a try.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    6 år sedan

You shape a plant via judicious pruning, so I'm a little curious where you got your definition of pruning. I'm not trying to be argumentative but that's just... not even a little bit correct.

• cshields64
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

I agree with Joseph Corlett. I would dig out the plants around the maple, prune the roots, then transplant it at the appropriate time . Landscapers do it all the time. It's a very nice healthy tree and it would be great in another location. If it hadn't been planted so close to the house originally it wouldn't be a problem. And having a second ornamental tree in front if it makes little sense. Each tree can anchor it's own bed and look great in your yard.

As far as the arbor vitae goes, it appears your house is on a corner lot so I presume those were planted to add privacy since they create a wall of green. As others have said, topping them will not improve their appearance, they will look ridiculous. I would weigh the appearance of the plant to your desire for the privacy they provide because they are extremely low maintenance. Although, it looks like the birds planted a laurel oak, possibly, there as well and that will be enormous before you know it so you may not need the arbor vitae for privacy soon.

• huntcm
    6 år sedan

The roots of both trees will invade your foundation as well as your walkway. The leaves of the maple in your gutters will not help with water management either. The most basic landscaping rule is to manage water around the property. You might consider pavers under your windows and add a bench flanked by two small tables with pots you can have in spring, summer and fall as your front door is slightly hidden. It would give a more open, approachable appeal to your house. That bed is not really large enough to accommodate most full grown shrubs let alone trees. Keep it simple what ever you choose.

Nice house, show your stone!

• User
    6 år sedan

We have twice "inherited" inappropriate plantings with houses, and can empathize with your predicament. In my opinion, the goal is not only to have plantings of an appropriate type/size in the right location (where they can thrive), but also to have an attractive landscape. I would definitely agree with the suggestions of consulting an arborist (or at the very least, a highly-experienced landscape person) about the maple, so that you can see what your options are going to be before making any decisions. I would advise seeking out advice/opinions from a minimum of two different people. The "Sesame Street" tree seems to have a negative effect on the curb-appeal of your beautiful house. I think it's totally the wrong type of planting for that location! You could remove it and depending on whether the maple stays or not, plant a low-growing flowering shrub to add color - using either the maple or the house itself (if the maple is removed) as a backdrop. Perhaps even move the rose shrub from near the door to where "Sesame" is, and plant some perennials near the door instead? The rose shrub looks as though it could do with the space that the location in front of the maple would allow, where it could spread out more (resulting in less pruning of the rose shrub). From your photo, it looks as though there are hedges near the maple?? If so, I would remove those - they probably aren't needed when you have the shade of the maple. Look at what your ultimate goal is for the front - i.e. do you need shade around your house, do you want curb appeal (without looking as though you have a forest planted!), do you want lower-maintenance plantings etc., etc.? Then look at what you have planted already, and how mature each planting is (i.e. has it reached its full potential height & width?). Often what seem to be very small changes can make a vast difference. Not all landscape artists are created equal (and even arborists have differing opinions), so do lots of research, read lots of books geared at gardening in your part of the country, and seek opinions & advice from more than one "professional"! Good luck!

• M Reno
    6 år sedan
    I would get rid of the Japanese Maple as it is only going to get taller and is really close to the house. Roots are typically the same spread as branches which means you could already have roots touching the house. The other bush needs to go too in my opinion. low bushes would suit that space so much better and show off the beautiful brick on that section of the house.
  • Christiane Wingert
    6 år sedan

Remove the maple and let the ornamental tree before it make a statement.

• nanakeroyd
    6 år sedan

I see several issues looming...first, the jp tree next to the house can cause problems with critters getting on your roof and into the attic as well as damage to roof just by the tree. Don't get me wrong, I love Japanese maples but it should never have been placed there. I also like Sesame Street characters for interest but not blocking the entrance. Your property is mostly house. Keep the plantings small. Not sure where you live to suggest plants but I typically like low growing nandinas that give seasonal color....they have taller ones but avoid. The brick on your house gives some nice architectural character so expose it. Plants are to accent, not the subject unless you are trying to hide the house for some reason. Keep that in mind...enhancement. Simplify. The roses could use a good trim as well or maybe replace and carry similar shrubs across the front. Just because it was there is no reason to keep it. I am an avid gardener, don't get me wrong, but the overall picture is the goal. I have displayed my front yard before but I will share again. Our house was so homely and needed help so I made the landscape speak. I wanted the quintessential garden cottage look. The house begged me to make it pretty. Now people slam on their brakes to see it. That is what you want to achieve...showstopper. Look up similar homes and how they are landscaped. Go from there. Make it yours and make it fit the house. Then you will love it and you can say....this is mine, this is home. Anyway, my two cents for what it is worth.

• sapend
    6 år sedan

I'd keep the maple but trim it up. Especially if it's on the south or west side of the house to keep summer shade (OK - it's 109F today at my house....shade is invaluable). Even if not a hot climate, keep the maple...

• User
    6 år sedan
    nanakeroyd, your landscaping is lovely
  • nanakeroyd
    6 år sedan

Thank you Shelby. I am getting too old to keep up with it. The slope just above the rock wall is particularly treacherous as I must lean forward to tend to it and pull weeds and the ankles must also bend forward. Painful. I think I need a garden home as I will be 70 very soon. I have a little fountain pond hidden in front of the bench. The bench keeps deer out of my roses. I must outsmart them...not easy. We are surrounded by woods.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    6 år sedan

@nankeroyd have you seen the book "Gardening for a Lifetime"? Good info for how to make adjustments to the landscape to ensure you can still love it as time goes on. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9671955-gardening-for-a-lifetime

• kekulibay
    6 år sedan

Hi - I don't know thing one about planting trees (or anything much else for that matter!) but I got wondering if it is too mature (or too expensive) to perhaps have it dug up and moved to another spot? It looks healthy. Then you could plant a lower variety of greenery in that spot. As for your "Sesame Street" character perhaps he could just benefit from a little off the top?

• nanakeroyd
    6 år sedan

One can only try to move a j maple that size. Again, I would stress uncovering the house and planning for the future. My plants were tiny when I planted 7-8 years ago. We were told, that our blue spruce wos a small variety and would maybe grow to 8 feet......now it is 14 ft. My Sesame Street juniper was 4 ft...now 8 feet and will probably grow much much bigger...it struggled at first. New plantings take about 3 years to get established. Then Katy bar the door if conditions are right. The position of the plantings and size of the yard must be considered. I really dislike removing healthy specimens. It is like pulling eye teeth......but......necessary if the plantings will block walk ways, destroy the roof or get into plumbing in a yard. Practicality must prevail. Sad, but true. I started gardening in earnest 28 years ago. I have been seriously designing landscapes for 16 years........I am an artist as a hobby. I had six separate gardens at my last house on 2 + acres that I maintained and a country English garden plus the front yard here at my current house. I am obsessed with landscaping when I am not writing...working on a novel right now.....goals before I croak.......anyway........think total picture, not is it too much trouble or I hate to lose that shrub. Possible problems landscape can cause should and must be considered first or it could mean costly disasters in the future. Just saying and trying to be helpful...some previous and current gardens of mine. Keep an eye to the future. My gardens always evolve.....gardens are fluid and ever changing by their nature.

• emmarene9
    6 år sedan

Thank you so much for sharing Nana, do you ever go on the Perennial forum? Or the Landscape Forum? I'm sure you have a lot of good advice.

• nanakeroyd
    6 år sedan

I have but not often emmarene. I just happened to see the question and thought I might be able to help. We had similar problems when we moved in our current house. There was only a small amount of landscape and it was ALL wrong for the lot and the house. Started over. Glad we did. This year is full of challenges.....weeds are going crazy much moreso than usual and I put down Preen. I think they mixed it up and filled it full of weed seeds not Preen.

• prettymirror1
    6 år sedan

You can add faux windows on your garage door that will change the total look of the front. Just trim trees don't remove.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    6 år sedan

While I love the *idea* of transplanting the maple ("leave no tree behind!"), this is a scenario where you really have to weigh the costs and the risks. To get a big enough rootball for the tree to be viable, you're tearing up everything between the front walk and the house. That rootball is in excess of 600 lbs, which means you're not getting it out of the hole without a machine, which is probably also going to tear up the lawn. Then we'd have to schlepp it to its new home.

Cost for machine rental + a day for the crew + soil + mulch + seed and straw puts you north of $2k. And there are no guarantees on transplants. Can you get it done cheaper? Sure, and I bet they get such a small rootball that I could pick the tree up with one hand. Makes it easier to pull out when it dies...

Or a few hundred bucks to take it down, dig the stump by hand, and haul it all away. If you want a new one, you can probably get an 8-10 footer for around a grand and it'll often come with a warranty.

I love reusing existing plant material whenever possible, but sometimes it's not a responsible use of our clients' funds.

• Constance Miller
    6 år sedan

I totally agree, those trees must go. I'm addressing the "aesthetically pleasing look" for the exterior which is nonexistent in the photo. My suggestion is a minimal colorful grouping on that whole section wrapping from the garage to the front door. Stagger the size of a tree in the corner along with smaller plants around the base and border plants on the other side side of the walkway. The never ending height of that evergreen in the left side of the photo, in fact, that whole area needs some thought too. It looks atrocious. Paint the house a beautiful French cream and trim with a darker color from the same family. Pick an offsetting color for the front door that you would like to make the entrance inviting.

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    6 år sedan

I also think the trees have to go. The maple is too close to the house and the other tree is simply not attractive. Too bad they were not in reverse positions.

• Gary
    6 år sedan

Save the Smurf!

• Lacy Wieckowski
    6 år sedan

They definitely look overgrown and past due to be taken down, but why not trim them and groom them instead of completely removing them? I bet if you trimmed both down to about half the height and clean up the sides a tad. This way, you would still have the appeal of those gorgeous trees without the shaggy look.

• Barb Graham
    6 år sedan

I would be concerned about the roots of the larger tree and your foundation. So far as curb appeal goes, I would go with lower growing evergreens and maybe some flowering shurbs. I recently removed a large maple tree from my front yard and it made a world of difference.

• lamaisonbleu
    6 år sedan

I had a storm divide a grown Japanese Maple down the center, in half! The other half has lived for decades, shading my Guest House without over powering it. 1) I suggest a professional do the same to yours. 2) I'd remove the tree in front of it. 3) You are not happy with your curb appeal. Action is politely suggested.

• dmhouse
    6 år sedan

Don't torture yourself with the previous owner's mistakes. Both are inappropriately located and have overgrown whatever appeal they originally had. Pruning the maple down to size will be a neverending task, and it will still be too close to the house. It is a shame to waste such interesting specimens, but move on - free your lovely house from those mistakes.

• trieste50
    6 år sedan

Definitely totally remove the trees and replant with something appropriate long term. All that can be seen now are the garage doors - not good curb appeal!

• favwest
    6 år sedan

If you have the maple pruned and don't like the way it looks, you can then remove it.

• Jill Johnson
    6 år sedan

Consider moving the JM. We have a company out here in Seattle called Big Tree. They specialize in moving large trees with root ball into a new location. If you love the tree, it might be time to consider a better location with professional tree movers.

• azmaddyg
    6 år sedan
    Consider taking out the 'Sesame Street' tree and then limbing up and thinning the maple. It is worth the expense to have a professional arborist do this, and I think you will be happy with the result. You may find the maple tree is too close to the house for the Big Tree companies that come and move larger trees.
  • Charles Vadney
    6 år sedan

I don't like having trees close to my house. The roots are not only invasive but often can lift the house's foundation. It will be so much easier to paint that surface of the house when the time comes. Shrubs are much better suited for planting next to the house.

• Crystal Rockwell
    6 år sedan
    Remove BOTH! That JM, as beautiful as it is and will become, is a major threat to your foundation. An arborist will tell you that the root system is at least as large as the canopy of the tree. Picture that beneath your foundation!
  • peonys
    6 år sedan

If you can bear one more comment.....it appears the two large trees are competing for attention, and maybe space and possibly nutrients. May I ask how you feel about the inside of the house where the trees stand? Do the trees block the light? Is that room too cool or too dark? Would you like to have a better view from that room (assuming it's a room you use)? My personal feeling is the trees look overgrown & out of place and aren't adding to the overall beauty of your lovely home. But I bet they've had a happy life. Perhaps thanking them for their long service & starting a fresh will lift that weight off your shoulders. Best wishes. (P.S. in my experience, transplanting mature trees is simply too much stress for them to survive. I expect their root systems are too entwined judging by their proximity.)

• vjmm
    6 år sedan
    Could just be the angle of the picture but it looks like the tall tree to the right if the driveway is touching the house. That would not be good. Might have the arborist check that one out too.
  • Lynn Baxter
    6 år sedan

I would recommend paying a consultation fee to a reputable landscape designer as the first step - the fee for their services is much less than coping with expensive alterations to all your vegetation. I have had a mature maple tree moved to a more favourable location and it has settled in very well. Just do it when the tree is dormant. A qualified arborist (not just tree loppers) would be the next professional to invest in. They can advise you on the success of removing, relocating or trimming/pruning any of your plants that are questionable. In my opinion you can really ruin a trees natural shape, especially a maple, by trying to fit it in around a house. Your footings, pathways, woodwork and guttering will benefit from the relocation of the maple and canopy reduction of the oak(?) on the right of photo. I feel the shaggy bush doesn't enhance the street appeal of your home. I reserve judgement regarding your backyard corner as photo too dark to really see what is there. Taking out the top of most trees looks ugly and could result in shock to the tree depending how much is taken. Consult the professionals. :)

• Robin Shelley
    6 år sedan

Another idea is to contact the Master Gardener program in your area. They have people who specialize in all aspects of gardening, pruning, etc. & usually work for very reasonable fees. I hope you can keep the Japanese maple.

• stellairina
    6 år sedan

I'd either prune the large one and remove the weeping one in front of it

or remove the large one and prune the weeping one. The weeping ones look great, when u remove the branches and twigs at the bottom so that u can see their stem. I'd really love to see update pics.

• PRO
    Sunray
    6 år sedan

I would prune and keep the two specimen trees (red JM and weeping spruce) and remove the largest tree closest to the house. I think it hides the house too much and detracts from the unique beauty of the other two trees, that if pruned would show more character. If you really feel you should eliminate those two trees, I would consider professionally transplanting or selling them to a landscaper as they are very mature and valuable. Additionally, I have topped 'inherited' Arborvitae before, and they do eventually return to normal looking growth, but it does take a few years, so perhaps not worth it? I hate to presume too much about what your space needs as we can only see a photo and don't get all the angles and nuances you see every day. Good Luck!

• Francisca Oller
    6 år sedan

Maybe you can find someone to dig up the Japanese maple and plant it in another spot in your yard. It can be done, we've dug up fairly large trees and replanted them successfully. Otherwise it seems that the tree is in a spot that is too close to the house and it will never really fit well there.

• 1beth58
    6 år sedan
    Chinster, any updates?
  • PRO
    A1 Plus Stone Design inc
    6 år sedan

relocate those trees. talk to a professional

• PRO
    Thaumas P. Ehr, Landscape Architects, LLC
    6 år sedan

Remove the smaller one and get a bid to move the maple in late fall or winter

• Sheri and Kate Thompson
    6 år sedan

My daughter and I are passionate gardeners and it was a gut-wrenching decision (not to mention the $3,000 we had not counted on when we moved into this new home) to remove two very large trees. We consulted a licensed arborist who told us it was not a question of "if", but "when" they would fall, either on our home our the neighbor's. They were the wrong species in the wrong place. Do your homework on arborists and tree removal companies (ours has 91 five-star reviews) and don't beat yourself up because you have to deal with a problem you inherited :)

• dtmcdermott55
    6 år sedan

Keep Japanese maple, but thin out inside branches to reveal more house. Present height is fine just open up foliage and sustain main branch networks. Plan low-growing landscaped bed around tree to meet up with an entry walkway. Manicure the Cartooney-Topiary bush to look less "dopey-ary" , by fashioning a clean, simple, conical shape. Give evergreen it's own focal-importance by designing a circular landscaped bed around it. Good luck! Nice property and house.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    6 år sedan

that evergreen naturally has a weeping habit. Short of a little pruning that's likely been done to keep it off the sidewalk, I doubt it's been touched. That is how it wants to grow. Trying to trim it into a Christmas tree will ruin the tree, at that point just be kind to it and cut it off at ground level.

• rinked
    6 år sedan

Remove the shrub and get an expert to move the maple to a different spot in your yard. (all those comment might have got you dazzling even more)

• User
    6 år sedan

I would keep the Japanese maple. They are gorgeous specimens, and expensive too. If you do want to rid of it, I suggest to sell it locally and perhaps your buyer can dig it up for you too :) win win situation without killing any trees!

• Tracy Farmer
    6 år sedan

Trim the bottom branches to create a more umbrella shape. Do a bit of bonsai shaping.

• Eliza Coningham
    2 år sedan

I would suggest asking professional tree services to asses the trees condition and then decide what to do. https://www.treeworks.net.au/assessments/

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.