katieeee_mk

Tiny tween bedroom

Kate M
6 år sedan

My sister (11YO) has been landed with the smallest room in the house & my parents and I are trying to plan a way to utilise the little space so that she doesn't feel so cramped.

We don't need to worry about wardrobe storage as she has a big IKEA PAX wardrobe between the room and her bathroom.

It is a simple square shape, with one large (almost floor to ceiling) window on one wall & built into the walls there are bookshelves on with side of one wall.

We were thinking about a mezzanine as if she has a normal bed on the floor there's hardly space for a desk & small storage unit... but the room also has VERY low ceilings (under 9ft) so we're unsure if a mezzanine would be possible if she wanted to have a desk underneath.

She currently has a loft bed (caravan style) but she finds it limits the natural light in her room & makes it seem even smaller, so that's why we thought a mezzanine would give her the bed space without obstructing the window & light coming into her room too much.

What would you do/recommend?

Thankyou!

Kommentarer (5)

• Daisy England
    6 år sedan
    I was going to suggest a mezzanine too. My son built one for my grandson so he has loads of floor space to play.
  • mayfly182
    6 år sedan

Without a plan of the space it's difficult to say whether a mezzanine would work but they have many of the drawbacks of loft beds. With such low ceilings and a tiny room you might be best off looking at folding beds (Murphy beds). You can buy off the shelf beds which transform into desks with no need to keep taking all the stuff of the desk or remove all the bedding (I think you'd need to take off the duvet though). Have a look at StudyBed.co.uk for an example. They're expensive but then fitting a mezzanine would be too.

Alternatively there are various plans for Murphy beds which a local carpenter (or good DIYer) could follow or adapt for less. One possibility would be folding bed on one wall and desk on the opposite wall.

Kate M thanked mayfly182
  • PRO
    Fomi Design Limited
    6 år sedan

Dear Zaira

It's hard to judge which solution may work the best without seeing the space, if possible please could you add some pictures?

A mezzanine is a good idea, however you have mentioned about the very low ceiling, maybe you should consider also an alternative option which is a raised platform with pull out hidden bed. This solution will work very well in the small spaces. Please see some images below.

Kate M thanked Fomi Design Limited
  • Kate M
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thank you very much - we never though about this idea so will definitely think about that!

• mayfly182
    6 år sedan

I like the trundle beds!

I think you are looking at some sort of transforming bed here, with the low ceiling heights going up isn't so practical.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.