tlopez1214

Need help with dining room rug. Please chime in!

tlopez1214
6 år sedan

I recently purchased a rug for our dining room. It looks fine at night but during the day, the light makes it look white against the dark wood furniture. I was expecting the colors in the rug to pop more and it looks more muted than I expected. My mom says that once the rest of the dark furniture goes back into the room, it will look fine. I am considering returning it. What do you think?

Afternoon as the sun is starting to set

Night time

Is it worth the hassle of returning? Here are the other choices I was thinking about. Of the three, I think I like the leftmost one the best.

Kommentarer (16)

• calidesign
    6 år sedan

I like the rug you have. If you want the colors in it to "pop" more, paint your walls below the wainscoting the color you want to accentuate.

• lefty47
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

HI -- Your furniture is incredible and the rug is beautiful but the walls are lacking . You need to add panels below chair rail and some bigger panels above and then paint the whole room one great color that is in the rug or a warm white . Then add drapes with the help of a window covering professional . Wall paper is also a good idea for adding texture such as a linen or a fine grass cloth with a sheen . Because of the elaborate style of the chairs the room needs more accents .

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    6 år sedan

I love the color rug you chose! I agree with painting the walls, that will help immensely. This rug looks fantastic underneath your dark furniture.

• tlopez1214
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thank you, everyone! We haven't painted this room since we moved in the house and we plan on painting it in the next few weeks.

The rug is a mix of cream, grays, and blues. I'd like to incorporate the blue into the room without darkening it even more. The dream is to have the white wood paneling on the bottom half of the wall so that I can paint the top half a darker gray blue and then add some light window treatments.

Another issue I've been dealing with are these bay windows with the little ceiling above. I cannot for the life of me figure out window treatments. But I have to because the sun is bleaching out my furniture and will bleach out my floor. I'm hoping for something that still lets light come in.

Lefty47 what do you mean panels above the chair rail?

I was thinking something like this:

• tlopez1214
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Bump
  • groveraxle
    6 år sedan

Do inside mount shades on the bay windows: cellular, Roman, woven wood.

• Maureen
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

I would use lined linen roman blinds in the same color as your walls (PAINT LAST) and they can be easily lowered during the morning and in contrast to drapery, wont' hide the entire bay when closed, which is a shame. Tucking a small console into the bay section would make it a real focal wall per 4th pic below and finish off that window area. Would suggest molding on the bottom half of walls for a really elegant look and go with a very soft grey/blue paint above - don't go too dark given the heaviness of your set. You should also consider your hallway's color and it's always nicer when you continue the same depth of color in a visually connected room. A crystal chandelier and large mirror will add bling and sparkle. Your rug choice is muted and soft, and once you accessorize it will be really a lovely backdrop to many décor choices. Using gold or brass accents would be very complimentary. Down the road, I would reupholster the seats to soften the chairs and to compliment your rug and roman blinds. Looks at lots of pictures/keep an idea book and have a plan vs just thinking of individual items/paint color before you make your final decisions.

• PRO
    Redesign Right, LLC
    6 år sedan

To complement your white wood use California Shutters to give you the light you want when you want it.

Miss Alice Designs, Potrero Hill Residence · Mer info

• tlopez1214
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Maureen - Thank you. I meant the ceiling above the windows, which is lower than the ceiling of the rest of he room. I like your paint color suggestion.

The morning sun is what we need to block. I'd rather not have something covering the windows all day as the room gets dark.

We have a buffet across the other wall. The dining room chair it too close to this window to add anymore furniture.

The reupholstering is a nice idea but these chairs are new and we got them with the leather because we now have two young children (ages 3 and 1). We figured it would be easier to wipe and keep clean.
  • tlopez1214
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Redesign Right LLC. Love the shutters idea!
  • groveraxle
    6 år sedan

• PRO
    Nancy the Stager & Redesigner
    6 år sedan

I agree, I love the rug, painting the walls above the chair rail the dark grey will make the rug pop. Then with your dark furniture the entire room will pop.

• tlopez1214
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Groveraxle thank you! I love the picture with the darker color on the top!!! What color did you use?
  • groveraxle
    6 år sedan

tlopez, I haven't a clue what that color is. When I do a color, I just manipulate the hue, saturation, and value till I get something I like. But it kinda doesn't matter because you still have to paint samples in the actual room in your actual light.

• calidesign
    6 år sedan

For the windows, you can use a long rod across the entire window area on the flat wall. Make it wide enough so the drapes can be pulled all the way over to clear the window when you want it open. This is not the right style, but shows you the idea:

Chancery Place House · Mer info

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.