becbecbec

Build-in wardrobe with high ceilings

becbecbec
6 år sedan
Hi everyone. I am starting to plan some built in robes for our bedroom and I'm wondering if anyone had ideas on what looks good with high ceilings.

We live in a lowset post war home with VJ walls and higher than normal ceilings. We could build built ins to the normal height and have a void above. Or we could build to the ceiling and have a bulkhead or extra doors to access the top bit of storage.

What is normally done and are their standard heights for things like doors? Should the height of the wardrobe match the top of the doors?

It is a master bedroom and about 15sqm in size.

Kommentarer (21)

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

some ideas cheers

• becbecbec
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks for your quick replies! Some great ideas. I do love that panelled finish look too. Very seamless. We love the period features and want to do them justice.

If we built to the ceiling would you recommend having a set of smaller doors/sliders up there? I guess it would be necessary if we wanted to use the space as storage.
  • siriuskey
    6 år sedan

Hi there, if you went with the paneled doors I would just do single doors all the way up to the ceiling, same mirror doors, the second photo shows a two door system it's what you would like, both give you great storage, you would need a Library ladder or steps for the upper shelves. Love the paneled mirror doors for the Master cheers

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 år sedan

Yes defiantly go all the way to the ceiling.

Use same cornice as well as panel doors. I'd almost use swing doors rather than sliding doors. Sliding will look a bit to new.

Use another set of doors above, also panel, also swinging.

Use VJ for the walls of robe.

• cloudpants
    6 år sedan
    We did floor to ceiling and are very happy with the practicality and aesthetic.
  • becbecbec
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks again everyone for your replies. I agree that swinging doors would keep with the period of the home and I think I'd prefer it. It would add a lot to the price though would it? Also do you have to build off the floor - have a kick board. Or could you still use the floor as the bottom and have the doors still off the ground?
  • becbecbec
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    I think i do like the two door approached - like the second image - as I feel like full height doors might be too big. The ceilings are very high.
  • siriuskey
    6 år sedan

hi Bec. Sliding doors look just as good as any others they also don't need as much space, ie: opening doors out into the room. the panel doors with or without glass visually help to reduce the height of the doors and can be opening or sliding. The second photo with 2 doors would need to have the lower door the same height as your bedroom door. If you look at cloudpants doors the doors were lowered and the cornice was continued around the room. Just measure the width of your wall so that you get a rough idea how many panels of which width would look best, post the wall size and ask everyone cheers

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 år sedan

Swing doors may be cheaper than sliders but the cost difference wouldn't be neither here nor there.

Just use existing floor as the floor. The internal fit-out will depend on having a kick board or not. A drawer unit would have a kick board, hanging space none.

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

hi there Bec, Is the wardrobe going on the wall in the photo which would mean only as wide as to the open door?, Look this link

http://www.hsw.com.au/?site&pg_name=elfa_about#prettyPhoto

Howards Storage World, and Swedish Elfa Storage System, Bunnings and Ikea have similar systems. All of these systems use the floor as the base which means you don't need any kick boards or plinths. The really great thing about these systems is that they can be easily added to and the configuration can be changed any time you need cheers

• Fiona Anastasia Whitefoot
    6 år sedan
    You simply can't go wrong with floor to ceiling wardrobe/cupboards. Yes, they may be expensive, but it's a great investment for any home and just adds much more value and is more attractive to a home, especially when you decide to sell!
  • becbecbec
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Hi siriuskey! Thanks heaps for your tips so far. We will just build out from that wall. Rather than buy cabinets. The wall is a nice feature and sturdy enough to hold shelving units. I have seen the elfa ones. And they do look good and also able to be moved if needs changed. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Detente Design
    6 år sedan

Hi Bec. I have a Federation home with high ceilings and I just installed a built-in robe in my master bedroom. The door swing lands within the wall-to-wall run. My solution was to install a 2200mm high robe and run a decorative capping all the way round to top edge. Behind the door, I stepped the robe back and installed a wide stack of drawers and open shelves. It neatly fits in behind the swing of the door without needing expensive structural modifications. I don't recommend going all the way to the ceiling where you have the luxury of height. It will shorten the room and you'll never get up there. In my case, the capping provides a lip which helps to conceal things I store up there that I don't use often like suitcases and bedspreads.

• PRO
    Alliance Robes
    6 år sedan

Custom design is the way to go I would say with your project

Hinged doors are give a more traditional look but sliding doors work well if space is an issue

The choice of finish on the doors makes a huge difference

The photo below has a painted finish with profile doors which could be designed to match your existing doors, a top tier can be added and the cabinet could finish either at door height or up to the ceiling.

Hope this helpswww.alliancerobes.com.au

• scottevie
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Do your ceilings have any original decorative features you wish to preserve? In a previous home with original pressed metal ceilings, we went with a similar design to Detente design so as not to change the ceiling in any way... As said, a decorative capping can allow some items to still be stored out of sight above the robes.

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

Hi again Bec, I really think if you follow the 2nd photo I posted with tall robe doors and shorter doors above them to the ceiling for storage, these shorter doors would continue across to the other wall above the door. You could have a mirror on the wall below the upper cupboards. This will give a very neat built in look with lots of storage, you wouldn't be interfering with any special cornice to do this, much better design to the ceiling,the wall and doors need to be the same colour, 2 find doors look Ok as well cheers

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

Hi Bec, Sorry I missed your reply above, sounds like a plan x

• PRO
    Interior Design By Jo
    6 år sedan

Hi Bec, I agree with others taking wardrobes to the ceiling will add extra storage and look great.

• petapea
    6 år sedan

A caution about sliding doors in old houses: I once bought a wardrobe which had a sliding door on runners - I didn't realise how slanted the old floors were until it was in and the slider wouldn't stay closed!! In the end I had to fangle a special hook latch to hold it in place!

• petapea
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

becbecbec, re your comment about whether you will have to build up off the floor, might this also depend on how even your old floor is? I know when I had storage built into my current apartment, the installation guy took a long time to get it all even, and I ended up with it slightly off the ground, small kick boards etc (which you can hopefully see in the pic). Nb. These are ikea Pax wardrobes, 233cm high from memory (ceiling is 3m). Used to be a study!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.