sophiebilinge

en-suite or no En-suite

Sophie Billinge
6 år sedan

building a new house and we disagree on having an en suite or not. Having an en suite makes one of us feel like we're in a hotel room with all the noises etc. associated, and one one us thinks it would devalue the house if the master bedroom doesn't have one! We have the space for one but it's wether we do it?

Kommentarer (18)

• A B
    6 år sedan

how many bedrooms? In terms of resale I'd go for the ensuite!

• Sven
    6 år sedan

Not sure that I have seen a house for sale without a master bathroom/en-suite, especially new build.

• A S
    6 år sedan
    I would consider having an ensuite and but maybe not use it if you dislike the sounds and use the family bathroom instead.

Alternatively, creating a bathroom next to the master bedroom as opposed to coming off the m.bedroom could be an alternative.
  • Rose Williams
    6 år sedan

If you have the room, maybe a walk in wardrobe instead, or combined wardrobe area and a simple shower/basics to keep him out of the main bathroom when you want it in a morning

• Sophie Billinge
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    We have the surface area for en suite and walk in wardrobes (x2); there is a family bathroom and separate WC on the landing and two of the other bedrooms have a Jack and Jill. Space is not an issue .
    Its a 5 bedroom house. Its simply that En suites seem to be expected but when your working hours are different or one of you gets up at night, it can become annoying. I guess it's a Must for value but still have to go to the main bathroom to get ready at 5am! Compromise, compromise . Thank you
  • tamp75
    6 år sedan
    Can you find a way of sound proofing the en suite? I actually find our en suite really valuable for different working hours as we can use it without waking the rest of the house if we had to use the main bathroom. However, our ensuite is in an extension so we have what was an external wall separating our bedroom & en suite so noise transfer is minimal.
  • madsadmum
    6 år sedan
    We've added an en-suite to our guest room instead of the master bedroom. We prefer to use the main bathroom and our guests get some privacy.
  • Jonathan
    6 år sedan
    I think that for resale a 5 bed new house should have at least two but likely three bathrooms. But in fairness you only need them upon resale.
    Could you plan to have the master bedroom plus an oversized dressing room which could be later split to form an ensuite?
  • Victoria
    6 år sedan

It's become the norm that new builds have a master bedroom with an ensuite bathroom. Either put it in now and don't use it, design such that it is distanced from the bedroom by the dressing room or, at the very least, put in the pipe work and drainage so it can easily be done at a later date.

• acew1234
    6 år sedan
    We had the same dilemma, I didn't want one at all but relented due to what's expected these days by buyers in a larger house. Its been situated off a little hall /dressing area before you enter the actual bedroom so doesn't directly open into the room.
  • User
    6 år sedan

I agree that it is unusual now to find a new house without one but I think if you have space to put an extra shower room elsewhere so that you still have more than one then it should be okay. Ideally somewhere not far from the master bedroom. Also like the suggestion for you to put in all of the pipe work etc so that it can easily be added later. If you dont get round to it upon resale then atleast there is less work for a buyer.

• PRO
    Humber Architecture
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Depends on the number of bedrooms. The most popular ratio is 3 beds, 2 baths or shower rooms, 2 receptions and a driveway with room for 2 cars. Which is what most people look for in a home.

A master bathroom can really add value to any home especially when its matched with a walk in wardrobe to create a master suite.

• sophie billinge
    6 år sedan

This is nice and would be ideal; the room layout wouldn't quite accommodate though. I'll think about this type of options and see what can be done. Thank you.

• PRO
    Humber Architecture
    6 år sedan

Sophie if you need any help please feel free to get in touch.

• PRO
    Ashton Bathrooms & Ashton Furnishing
    6 år sedan

Adding an ensuite will add value to your home. Personally I couldn't live without an ensuite especially in a family home. Mornings can be hectic if you have to wait for the bathroom :)

• tezz4
    5 år sedan

Who cares about value to your home if it doesn’t add value to your life!!!

Do what is convenient and sensible not what is usually done.

• acew1234
    5 år sedan
    I didn't want one at all in our new build but relented when the architect put it off the dressing area. I'm still going to restrict its use!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.