jravech

Living room wall ideas?

Judy R
6 år sedan
Hi Houzz pros! I'm trying to decide what to put on the wall over these two leather chairs in our living room. I was thinking about either a large rectangular picture or mirror, maybe something like this one from Crate & Barrel which is 47"x29"

Ideas/suggestions please!!

Kommentarer (39)

• Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thank you, I'll try that to see how it works!
  • btydrvn
    6 år sedan
    I might consider painting that wall an accent color...your room is heavy on neutrals...a colored wall can add personality and warmth....

Also....Unless the tall cabinet is absolutely necessary..removing it will give you a roomier ...more homey feel
  • btydrvn
    6 år sedan
    As to the mirror..consider the view that will be reflected in the mirror...if it doesn't reflect something pretty ...choose an art piece...

Also....As the walls in your pic seem bare ...maybe adding some soft draperies on each side of the big window would add to the already comfy looking room
  • PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    6 år sedan

Try artwork, not a mirror. If you want something on that wall.

1960 Ranch Home · Mer info

• Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks everyone, I took Judy G's suggestion and tried just some rearranging as a first step. The tall cabinet is our bar (so therefore essential!) and we like the piece. You can see it both open and closed below. Any further suggestions?
  • Kim
    6 år sedan

May I ask the dimensions of your room? Our living room is similar, and I've often wondered how a sectional would feel in there.

• groveraxle
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Put the tall piece back in the corner. It totally breaks up the room in the middle of the wall like that.

And did you start a fire in the corner, or do you have a 2000w bulb in that lamp?

• groveraxle
    6 år sedan

I would flip the bar and the tree so you'll have better access to the bar, send the giraffes someplace less crowded to live, center the chairs and the table on the wall, and get a floor lamp for behind the chair on the right. Then I'd hang a great big framed Klee on the wall.

• Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks groveraxle, I do like the way that Ann Klee looks (and the dog!) though access to the bar is actually much easier with it in the new position. Don't think a lamp would fit there to the right side in front of the bar the way you've shown it.
    Maybe we just need some art to right of bar and left of window now? And drapes?

Kim, I will get those dimensions for you,
  • teamaltese
    6 år sedan
    If you find 4 pieces of same sized, themed art, and hang them two on each side of the cabinet, it should balance the cabinet and make it look like it belongs on that wall. And art can be anything, from "found" objects, vintage pieces like tools, or even plants, like plank mounted staghorn ferns.
  • Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks teamaltese. Would you hang those staggered in some way?
  • teamaltese
    6 år sedan
    I would keep the art symmetrical, same heights, same distance from the cabinet. I wouldn't worry about the art being hidden by the doors, the cabinet would be closed mostly.
  • groveraxle
    6 år sedan

Daisy's good with leaving the bar there; Daisy's good with anything that makes her humans happy. If you're leaving the tree there, though, you'll have to play with the sizes and placements of what you put on that wall to balance because you won't get symmetry.

• Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks again Daisy! The verdict is still out on long term future of the tree....I need to do some shopping now for art and lamps and perhaps drapes too. Here are some better pictures of the rearrangement without the "fire" in the corner from the flash:
  • groveraxle
    6 år sedan

Looks better without fire, but can the chairs come forward at all? That right chair is almost behind the couch. Unless you were planning on making it the time-out chair...

• Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Yes I think I can pull the chairs forward a bit. Fortunately we're past the time out stage of life (unless my hubby needs it!)
    Would you put anything on top of or above the bar cabinet?
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 år sedan
    I would get rid of the fake tree and get a real one.
    I like the bar in the middle but I wouldn't angle the chairs. That's a really cool piece!
    As someone else said, maybe try some drapes.
    I love your leather ottoman but it seems rather heavy. Maybe a glass table would be lighter and I see other smaller stools there too so it looks like you're using the large round one for your table....
    It's a nice room....
  • jbtanyderi
    6 år sedan
    Fixed ceiling height drapery panels on each side of the window would give an additional dimension and added colour. Lamps need to be more substantial. They give flattering light. End tables make more sense than the huge ottoman.
  • PRO
    The New and Reclaimed Flooring Company
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Wall Cladding is always a good alternative.

Budget friendly, Easy-to-Install and Absolutely Gorgeous.

https://www.reclaimedflooringco.us/product-category/wall-cladding/

These are some of our latest projects:

• Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Hmm, drapes could be an issue due to size of the couch - there wouldn't be room on both sides for them to hang to the floor. Maybe a valance to add some color?
    The ottoman is combination table and place to put our feet on while we watch television....
    I will definitely add two new lamps in each corner behind the leather chairs!
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 år sedan
    I'd say no to the valance and skip the drapes since you probably can't pull out the sofa from the wall...

While that cladding can be cool in some places I think it would be too much in this room and just make it seem smaller
  • Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    I agree on the wall cladding. Why do you think no on the valance?
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 år sedan
    Because they are dated. Just my opinion...
  • Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Got it, thanks!
  • Laura A.
    6 år sedan

Really like the ideas and the fantastic bar in the middle of the chairs. You could also do architectural shelf/sconces on each side of the bar with small topiaries or large candles. What seems to be missing most is lamps, which will give the room some more height and can really add color and pizzaz. Fun lamps, your choice.

• Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks! Do you think you could do an arced lamp to provide light for reading in those chairs?
  • acm
    6 år sedan

Yes, back at the table-in-the-middle stage, i was going to suggest an arced lamp. Or you could put an end table between the couch and the chair on the right, with a table lamp, and then put an arced floor lamp behind the chair on the left. If the plant is headed out. (Or the plant could then go on the right.)

• groveraxle
    6 år sedan

For comfort and ease of conversation, I'd like to see the chairs closer together and more related to the sofa.

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 år sedan
    My bf has these chairs and floor lamps from crate and barrel. We didn't get the CB shades, just the lamps and got the smaller shades at Target. The CB lamps come in three finishes...

I like arc lamps but without being in your room....they may be too big for your space.
  • btydrvn
    6 år sedan
    I think the draperies at the edge of the windows are pretty essential to the sort of bare wall feel of the room...even if you have to move the sofa out a little to get them to fit...

Moving the sofa out a little will also lend a feeling of spaciousness to the room ..

The large ottoman is also out of scale a little..it appears to be dysfunctional as well...too heavy to move around as needed..a couple smaller tables may also make the room feel "roomier"...
  • Beth Mallon
    6 år sedan
    I love all the feedback your getting on this room. I am going to have a similar dilemma with my new living room (bare wall behind sofa so im finding this thread helpful) one suggestion - what if you were to keep the pair of chairs together and put in left side and them shift bar cabinet a few feet to the right corner. it could keep your chairs together as a pair and give some breathing room between the chairs, bar and chaise.
  • Beth Mallon
    6 år sedan
    just realized there may be a tv on that wall so you might like having that chair face the tv - like you have it now!
  • Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    This is great feedback! I can't move the chairs too much further forward due to entrance to dining room on the left. They actually work pretty well where they are now in terms of watching TV (located on left side of room opposite windows) - for the chair on right side of room though not so much for chair on left, and the new arrangement does give much better access to bar cabinet than before.

As far as drapes go - can you have a full length drape on a window that only goes down to about the sofa level? Will that be weird or not matter since the sofa is in front of the window?
  • Judy R
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Melissa, those are very nice lamps from C&B. If i try an arc lamp it will need a very narrow profile to fit here, for sure.
  • Michael Street
    6 år sedan
    Happy
  • Michael Street
    6 år sedan
    T
  • Nelle Corcoran
    6 år sedan
    Very nice comfy room. The big issues have been resolved. This is nit picky, but could you try the rectangular tray on the ottoman? Round on round looks odd.
  • btydrvn
    6 år sedan
    Curtains to floor is fine...more luxurious..appropriate for living room
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.