peachey33

Help! Need a kitchen redesign - can we fit a table AND an island?

Sian Peachey
6 år sedan
We are in the process of buying a new house, and will be sacrificing the dining room for a play room. The kitchen is fairly big and we want this to be the heart of the home. A place we entertain guests, eat with our young baby, and relax. We have some great ideas but there are lots of limitations (other than our small budget!) including placement of internal doors, windows, external doors, attached utility etc. Only 2 walls from 4 can be used for cabinets.

We would love an island as the space currently in the centre of the kitchen seems vast, but we also need to accommodate dining space. I'd love space for 6-8 people, and at a height that is suitable for a toddler.

Is this possible??! Could we do a complete redesign and make the space work better? Examples I've considered - Create an L shape? Only have wall cabinets halfway down? Wall cabinets along 1 side only?

My father works for a well known high street kitchen retailer so we will be sourcing the kitchen from him at a slight reduction. Whilst he knows what will and won't work when it comes to the details, he's not a designer with regards a complete change to make the space work more effectively.

Kommentarer (11)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    6 år sedan
    You definitely need the hob nearer to the sink for safety - if you are going to totally refurbish then yes - lots and lots of design possibilities here.
    There are independent designers ( like us at OnePlan) that you can work with to get your design done to suit your needs and the room shape. (We don't sell product, so not in competition with your supplier.)
  • A B
    6 år sedan

Have you had a kitchen design done by the company your Dad works for?

• Sian Peachey
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Yes we have. We started with an island, and now just have a galley style. It's similar to the current design.

With regards sink, there is actually another sink next to the hob that isn't noted. This sink has drinking water. The other sinks (kitchen, utility, bathrooms) are on a water softener and aren't suitable for drinking apparently. We'd like to just have the 1 sink of plumbing allows.
  • Claire Nicholson
    6 år sedan
    Hi there,

It's a lovely space and I am sure there are lots of options as mentioned already by Karen above.

How would you like to use the island? Is it more for the aesthetic or do you want it for people to sit / perch at? Islands tend to lose a lot of storage if you want people to be able to sit at them, which necessitates the need for more wall cabinets etc but if you can use the 'back side' for more occasional items then the wall restrictions may be less of an issue.

What sort of style are you thinking of going for? Open shelves can look fabulous and a great way of storing items that are used day in, day out. They can also be very budget friendly in comparison to wall cabinets.

Have you considered banquette seating for the table, opposed to using all chairs? It tends to be quite space saving and quite versatile too.

Best wishes

Claire
  • PRO
    Schmidt Kitchens Loughton
    6 år sedan

Hi Sian.

Realistically you would struggle to get both an island and a table in this space.

You have 5 metres but once you work out comfortable space for walking around either side you have 2400mm of Island / Table space.

I think Honeypoppet idea was nice to combine the two which we do very often for our clients but again 2400mm is not a lot to work with to get a table and an island from.

A Peninsula would give you another 1000mm coming from the utility room wall.

Hope this has helped you and would be happy to help you further if you needed.

Kind Regards Schmidt Kitchens Loughton

• whizzywig
    6 år sedan

Could you steal a section of the utility to make the kitchen just that little bit bigger? You could potentially end up with a 6 metre run on the left side wall, an island approx 1.8m x 1m in the middle and additional units on the right as you come in the door. This would leave about 2.5m at the far end for a table & chairs perpendicular to the island, or ample room to put into practice one of the suggestions honeypoppet posted above. It's a good size kitchen and we know an island will fit as you have one in the room already in the form of a table and chairs... you might not have quite as many units by the time you've finished but maybe some more appropriate ones ;) I'll post a sketch to show what I mean.

• whizzywig
    6 år sedan

This is roughly what I mean Sian, hope it helps..

• acew1234
    6 år sedan
    I have the same sized kitchen and the same wish but have decided to have space. I'm just going for a table and forgetting the island. Which ever way I looked at it everything was being compromised. I also considered a higher table which could work as an additional workspace if needed, would need higher chairs which may not be so comfortable.
  • A S
    6 år sedan
    I love the plan proposed by Whizzywig, it uses the space up fantastically ....I would just make sure all the units of the Base, larder and island line up.
  • Claire Nicholson
    6 år sedan

I also like Whizzywig's plan!

It is a really personal decision and I know lots of people favour eye height ovens but I would just have a think about how much the back door will get used and how often people will be coming into the kitchen via the back door and utility.

We had this dilemma in our kitchen and it made me nervous to think of having a throughway between the oven and worktop, especially if there are little ones running around and I'd be carrying things from there to the island (albeit it's clearly not far!)

We chose to keep our double ovens on the island below the induction hob and use the tall units for fridge freezer and storage, that way it's straight out of the oven and onto the worktop above.

All minor things to consider though and completely down to personal preference :)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.