keyrebec

Painted wardrobes

Hi, I have painted some wardrobes with a solvent based paint and they don't seem to be curing (I can leave fingernail marks). Any advice on how to speed the process up or what to do if they don't cure. The first coat we left for about 10 days before the second coat was applied. It's only been 4 days so not sure if I am worrying too soon? Thanks all.

Kommentarer (4)

• PRO
    Robert Way - One of the Great British Designers
    6 år sedan

More information needed. Are they cellulose, wax wood, foil, laminate. Each will have a different primer starting point.

• PRO
    User
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Make sure the room is well heated. It's tempting to turn the heat off in a room whilst decorating, however all paint reacts at different temps and as a solvent based paint is thicker, it will take longer to harden. It will tell you on the back of the tin what temp is best for the paint. Often, it's no lower than 16 degrees for indoor paint. The warmer the room the faster the paint dries.

• Rebecca Mcsweeney
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    I'm not sure exactly what the wardrobes were finished with, but we sanded then down before priming and undercoating them.
  • PRO
    User
    6 år sedan

Hi, If you've used oil based products for the priming, undercoating and then two top coats, that's a lot of paint.

You only need to prime bare wood. One undercoat as a 'key' would have probably been enough followed by two top coats.

They will dry eventually, just keep the room warm. However, with that amount of paint ( if they were all oil based ) they may take up to two weeks in my experience to go hard.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.