riobrewster

Yet another backsplash question...

Rio Brewster
6 år sedan

Hi All,

I love how the cabinet and counters turned out, but what I had planned for the backsplash isn't coming together.

I plan to use the star tiles on the range wall. I was going to use the marble tile in the first photo on the two sides of the kitchen, but it's just not doing it for me.

The last photo confirmed that wrapping the stars around the whole kitchen is too much. There's a silver glass bevelled brick mosaic in that photo that would be perfect if it was not bevelled and twice the size. As it is - too busy.

The grey brick in photo 2 would probably work, but with everything gray such a trend - and one that I'm not really in love with - I would like some other ideas. The floor is plain concrete - again more gray. (How did I unintentionally end up with so much gray?) The ceiling is a subtle blue green, but with all the gray in the room it's reading - you guessed it - gray.

I'm thinking seriously of plain tin tiles, but I'm afraid it will look cheap.

Kommentarer (44)

• Porter Edun
    6 år sedan

The gray tile is not the proper tone. The third photo tile far right lets your counters be the star of the room. All in all, you might try to find something similar to the third photo so your backsplash isn't the focus, but the compliment.

https://www.msistone.com/glass-tiles-8mm/ice-glass-subway-tile-4x12/

perhaps you can get some samples of the above or look up the manufacturer to see if you can locate it to try.

tilebar.com has a great sample program and fast shipping and stellar products.

https://tilebar.com/spa-tuscany-pattern-super-white-glass-tile.html

Rio Brewster thanked Porter Edun
  • PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    6 år sedan

The problem you are running into is that the tiles are all different styles and they do not play well together! As you have selected the star tiles, you really need to stick to that style and feel for the rest of the backsplash. You'll need a "white" tile that looks like the background in the star tile; may be a brick or a tile that looks handmade.

Rio Brewster thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • Porter Edun
    6 år sedan

Agree the star tile steels the show. A very pretty slightly rustic muted white tile that is from the urban series at tilebar.com. It ever so slightly mimics brick.

Urban Brick Vintage White

• Porter Edun
    6 år sedan

I think a simple backslash with your counters in a great option. I do love the star tile, but it really steals the show from the counters as they have a lot of movement and a lot going on and it a visual conundrum.

• drdeb1234
    6 år sedan
    Keep. It. Simple.
    Or you will almost certainly be back here soon with a "Help! My backsplash is too busy" dilemma.
  • jhmarie
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Porter has pointed out two important points: tone and busyness.

The cabinets are warm tone and the backsplash and counter are cool. The counter and cabinets can work with the right backsplash - simple, and at least neutral and not cold.

• rantontoo
    6 år sedan

Too many stars trying to steal the show....plain wall tile will let your counters “shine.”

• User
    6 år sedan

Agree with the others- something simple, and light. Less is more.

• Porter Edun
    6 år sedan

Best option is to select the lightest tone in your counter and find a tile that works well with it. Can't tell exactly what the lightest tone is, white for ivory tones?

• Rio Brewster
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Tonally the white marble works - it just doesn't really do anything for the space. I still want to do the star tile behind the range - maybe just behind the range and not the whole wall.

I'm trying to find large-ish tiles for everything else, 6x12 or anything by 18 would be perfect. I'm seeing a lot of 4x12 and 3x12 - and of course 3x6. But that would be too busy. I like TileBar - but unfortunately at this point in the project, money is getting very tight.

• Porter Edun
    6 år sedan

Only thing I can think of that might pair well is the marca corona solids.

https://www.tile-shop.com/products/stoneone/stoneone.html

The silver might pair well or the very light gray? I do think the scale is too large on these that the link are provided. They do have many yet you'll need to look. I used a patterned one from the Marca Corona Terra line and it's beautiful and was available for me to pick up and not order. The Terra line has solids, but I think they are 8x8 hex so too busy if you use the star backsplash to go with a hex. It's would pair well if you want to look around at their different lines as, "terra" is just one. Try doing a little searching with the name.

• User
    6 år sedan

No, the marble tile doesn’t work. Neither do the stars. At all. The counter is much too busy to be able to add any more pattern anywhere. You negated the use of the stars when you chose that counter. It was a death match, and you picked counters. Stars have to get thrown off the island. Or you have to rip out brand new counters. You can’t have both.

Back painted glass in a plain white would give a cleanable no pattern surface. Which is exactly what thos counters are demanding. And they are the boss.

• Porter Edun
    6 år sedan

https://www.tile-shop.com/products/new_classic/new_classic.html

another 5x10

http://www.buymytile.com/colli-eco-stone-grigio/

numerous colors in 6x13 which would pair well with the star.... use the drop down to see sizes avail. in different colors.

• Porter Edun
    6 år sedan

OP won't let the stars go unfortunately..... stuck with the stars so trying to work with it?

• User
    6 år sedan

People seem to be able to leave the house dressed in the morning without combining plaid pants with a giant floral print. Why is pattern on pattern so difficult to learn to either work with, or work against.

You can do pattern layering where multiple scales of similarly colored materials can work together. But you can not do the same scale Large pattern X with the same scale large pattern Y that isn’t even the right shade of black.

This large pattern floral shirt needed plain white pants and a black cardigan. And maybe a tiny bit of colored jewelry. But it already has pinky orange striped pants. So no more color. Or pattern.

Look at glossy black tiles with under cabinet lighting if you want drama.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 år sedan

Just because you love a tile, doesn't mean it can work in your space. No to the stars. It will be awful! Even just above range. Don't do it! Plain is your only answer. White, black and matching grout or no grout with back painted glass.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 år sedan

I am in the minority - I love the star tile! Is there a softer color or tone on tone option?? That might make the difference. Your counter reminds me of golden delicatus... while that has white grey and black there is also a good amount of off white. I would maybe look into trying to match that color for a warmer pallet of non-gray.... maybe a nice crackle tile or raised pattern??

Good luck!!

Rio Brewster thanked Debbi Washburn
  • PRO
    DecorReform
    6 år sedan
    Since your countertops have a good mixture of color already, I would suggest going with something solid. Take a look at these photos for your reference. Going with a solid black would actually work really well....good luck.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 år sedan

well, I don't mind the star tiles, but I like eccentric. so, there's that. NO gray.

how about a black quartz w/a bit of antique mirror? it's sedate in color but not a 'white subway tile' plainness.

I like the black option because your room is open and bright, it works subtly w/the counters and it looks stunning w/the wood cabs. others

black arabesque

2x6 fireclay tiles in meteorite

Clayhaus, chevron in Carbon

or a 1x6 herringbone

or really simple,,,Basalt tiles in a 2x4 mesh.

or listen to everyone else and do an off white matte subway tile like this one. yawn.

Rio Brewster thanked Beth H. :
  • Porter Edun
    6 år sedan

I like the chevron posted by Beth on the right above.... I'm telling you as much as you hate to let the stars go? The chevron would look very nice.

• Rio Brewster
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    I’m liking the black. I have a lot of black accents in the house so that could work. I’ll try some softer and more rustic whites too.

The cabinets are cherry so they will darken and even out a bit over time.

Thanks all. (Even those of you who waxed poetic about the wrongness of the stars. )
  • Rio Brewster
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Believe me I looked for a similar tile in softer colors, but I kept coming back to this one. Thanks especially to Porter, Beth and those who offered actual suggestions. I will definitely go to TileShop - that's where I got the stars in the first place.

• Porter Edun
    6 år sedan

Sorry it's such a bugger for you. I do love the stars, trust me, but?

You might look at: Aliante Black, med and Aliante light gray 4x12 which I'd place horizontally perhaps, Urban Brick Vintage White?, a shot might be the Castle Windchill yet not sure if it will be too white even though it has dark gray edges and some within it.

Computers can be so tricky, but tried the light gray Aliante, black Aliante, Urban and Windchill I didn't post Aliante med gray in this because I'm on a dash right now:

• acm
    6 år sedan

that Urban brick suggestion was The Bomb.

• mark_rachel
    6 år sedan

The black looks way to dark to me. It would create a black hole in kitchen.

• Rio Brewster
    Författare
    6 år sedan

There no way to know until you bring everything together in the room. I went to Floor and decor at lunch today and grabbed a boatload of samples. (The guy behind me in line was *not* amused.). I'll let you all know what I come up with.

• Rio Brewster
    Författare
    6 år sedan

I went ahead with the star tile behind the range. Everyone who sees it says they love it. And most importantly *I* love it.

All the whites and blacks really fell flat in the space. The bricks were too busy.

I just happened to have a sample green/blue tile that I bought for a different purpose. The ceiling is a pale greenish blue so I tried it and it's perfect!

Now we just have to finish tiling the master bath so I can do the kitchen backsplash.

• Porter Edun
    6 år sedan

Rio Brewster, as long as you love it that's all that matters as it's your space. Would love to see photos if you choose.

• Rio Brewster
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Here it is! Finally finished and we love how it turned out.

• isabel98
    5 år sedan

wow, I love it. there are always people who put a floral and plaid together and make it work. especially if it makes them happy!! I'm glad you didn't do black, I have cherry cabs and did a black backsplash and recently took it out and started over. it's just too much with the cherry although I've seen some beautiful pics it's not what I like waking up to every morning.

the starts are perfect!

anyway you can get a shot with the ceiling so we can see the relation to the tile?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år sedan

looks nice Rio. what/whose cabinets are those? they're very nice.

• Karla Tamez
    5 år sedan
    It looks really nice, Rio. Opinions and recommendations are important so we can get some perspective and good info on how to make a space work, but at the end of the day its your space and you are the one who has to love it because you are living with it, i find this kitchen very original and i like that, i have a traditional kitchen, maple cabinets and while its not the popular kind of kitchen everyone has these days i love it , its suited for me and thats what matters the most.
  • Rio Brewster
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Thanks Beth. The cabinets are ShowPlaceEVO, their frameless line. Novara natural cherry. The bevel is a nice twist to your basic slab door.

• felizlady
    5 år sedan
    The counters are the only stars you need. The rest should be plain glass or ceramic subway in the lightest tone in the counters....other than gray.
  • Rio Brewster
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

@felizlady. That sentiment has been expressed previously, and I'm glad I ignored it. Sorry - no subway tile anywhere in my house. It has been done to death.

The project is complete with both the stars and counters - and we love it.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 år sedan

Love it!! Enjoy - job well done.... How was the price on the Showplace cabinets - If I may ask? Did you price them against other brands? Thanks

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år sedan

Cool look Rio! Glad you are pleased.

• Rio Brewster
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Oh gosh. Kitchen and Master bath together were $28K. And that includes 8 drawer banks. I had gotten some preliminary quotes for Kraftmaid, Kemper, Mid Continent, I think and they were all in the $20-$25 range.

• Rio Brewster
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Here's the other wall and the ceiling.

• Lisa 902
    5 år sedan

The kitchen looks great. Are you happy with Showplace?

• PRO
    Veteran Tradesman Services
    5 år sedan
    go with a white plain white tile. too much gray and too many designs
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Veteran Tradesman,,,she's already completed it. you should read the recent comments first.

• PRO
    Veteran Tradesman Services
    5 år sedan
    thanks, because I actually didn't. I'm like a dinosaur with the internet! old school
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.