woopsicle

Chalk Paint over Glass splashback?

L
6 år sedan

So I have a glass splashback which needs to be covered up. Long story short, the paint is peeling behind the splashback, its not under a warranty, I am not wanting to remove/replace the glass for reasons I don't want to get into.

It needs to be covered with something thin so I don't have to remove the under cabinet lighting. This is in the butlers pantry which is very lightly used, no hot appliances in there, no risk of the splashback being scraped/heated etc etc. Just need it to look decent again.

I have thought about:

* Stick on tile stickers (tic tac tiles)

* Painting

* Acrylic splashback over the top (might be too thick)

I tried the tic tac tiles with sample set and found them difficult to apply in a flawless manner.

So i am thinking of using chalk paint... is this a terrible idea? In a white colour.

I want a semi-gloss type of finish I think, so i believe a couple coats of chalk paint, sand with a high grit, then some miniwax gloss and a sand again might produce a decent result? Prefer not to see brush marks, or very little.

Is there a remote chance it could look ok on a pane of glass? I have seen chalk paint on mason jars etc, but never a big flat pane of glass. I am also not looking for a distressed look. I do not want to have to mask off everything and use a spray paint.

Kommentarer (6)

• L
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Or if anyone has any other ideas on how to cover it up, let me know!

• L
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

thanks - so you think i should go for a textured look by dabbing the brush rather than trying for a flawless look? i have a spare bit of glass so maybe i should experiment a bit first.

i was also thinking of pressed tin but i believe its not advisable to silicone that to the substrate (glass in this case).

• oklouise
    6 år sedan

i was thinking of chalk paint having a matt finish and the dabbing effect being much more forgiving of the painter and future minor damage and repairs btw if you needed something tolerant of hot appliances there are a whole range of colours in fire retardant paints

• PRO
    Crystal Amesbury Creative
    6 år sedan
    Have you considered pressed tin panel (thin, that can be painted) or even veneer or laminate on a substrate like thin ply?
  • Gallifrey
    6 år sedan

I would not paint glass in a work area. Hard to see how it would stand up to the slightest bump. What about just putting another material over the top. A second layer of glass, laminex, tiles over a layer of sheeting??

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.