laurie_naugle99

Need Advice on Exterior Color, Roof & Curb Appeal

Laurie Naugle
6 år sedan
senast redigerad:6 år sedan

Hello, I live in a Dutch Colonial, and we about to get a new roof and paint. We are also replacing all windows that will have white hardware. The previous owners were really into brown... inside and out. I swear to dog it is 50 Shades of Brown up in here, which I have been slowly eradicating. We are shaded by giant oak trees. I don't really want to paint the brick, just the wood on the dormers and on the garage above garage (see photos). I am also going to replace the front door. Anybody have any great ideas? Would like to keep it on the traditional side. Thanks !!! Please excuse the purple cobwebs on the house, kid next door took some liberties.

Kommentarer (11)

• Mi Kan
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

I see a lot of white in your brick, therefore if you have white trim on your windows it will be much more prominent when the windows are installed. First instinct says white trim, light gray paint and navy blue shutters - but that is just my perspective (of your house when you are keeping to the original brick). Best advice is go to something like behr.com in the exterior section - I think they even have a hip roof dutch colonial picture in there, upload your photo and you can pick your colors. Would probably go for a light to medium gray roof too, but ask for shingle samples and look at them next to your brick.

Laurie Naugle thanked Mi Kan
  • armchairshopper
    6 år sedan

I know you said that you don’t want to paint the brick. It would not be surprising to me if the brick were already painted: by the brick manufacturer. That was a common practice in the 60’s and 70’s. All of the brick might not be painted, but quite possibly the white bricks were painted.

Color wise, I would keep the paint very traditional: white siding, white trim, and match the shutters to the new roof color.

Laurie Naugle thanked armchairshopper
  • Irene Morresey
    6 år sedan
    Maybe Stonington Grey with deep blue grey shutters and door and charcoal roof
  • Denita
    6 år sedan

^Irene's idea looks very sharp!

• DH
    6 år sedan

I’d use the brick to inspire color choices. I tend to like a charcoal grey roof, and I like a darker color for your trim. Is there any green in the brick? A green near that color like an olive green could like nice on your front door.

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 år sedan

Whatever colors you decide for the shutters you should paint the door a different color, then it will stick out nicely. I was thinking maybe black shutters and a navy blue of burgundy door? Do you know what kind of door style you'd like?

Laurie Naugle thanked Verona Home Design
  • Laurie Naugle
    Författare
    6 år sedan

BeverlyFLA - thank you so much for the mockup of my house with the white window trim. That definitely makes me re-think that decision. What would you think of painting the exterior wood/dormer/garage in that Stonington Grey that Irene suggested up thread, and a charcoal roof? Not sure what color to paint trim around the windows though, maybe keep it the brown that you have in the photos above? I can't replace the shutters at this point and am thinking having them repainted with a fresh black coat.

• Laurie Naugle
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Verona Home Design-- thank you! For the door, I am thinking having a custom door that will have 6 panels of thick glass with beveled edge. I would install a pull down shade on the inside for privacy at night. Navy blue might be nice for the door? What do you think about window trim/dormer/garage color?

• annied75
    6 år sedan
    On a side note, remove the large oak tree in the front. It will enhance the curb appeal. Plus, your gutters & roof will thank you.
  • PRO
    Lee Meier Interiors
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

I don't know, but I think your house is quite charming the way it is already. I like that the windows aren't brash white but blend with painted wood of your home. I do love the navy shutters. I think if you just went lighter on the roof, the heaviness you feel may disappear.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.