sally_harrison68

To plinth or not to plinth......

LTS
6 år sedan
Hi
Would you attach floating plinth to the bottom of these doors?
If so, will it look aesthetically ok as it will not be in line with the fixed plinth to the left?
Any other advice/solutions welcome!
Thanks

Kommentarer (26)

• headers13
    6 år sedan

Yes absolutely as I think it looks odd otherwise. Great cabinet though !

• Rose Williams
    6 år sedan

TBH... yes, for the continuity. It would look better

• Rose Williams
    6 år sedan

Is that just an unusual niche in your kitchen and the drawers/surface is set back with a standard 600mm deep surface and the larder sized doors are in front to make the kitchen frontage uniform?...
    Even so, can the doors be strengthened and some shelving be attached inside the doors to make more use of the space?... it would look good.

• Carolina
    6 år sedan
    To plinth :-)
  • PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    6 år sedan
    Personally I do not think plinth will look right! If the plinth is approx 165 mm high off the floor then I would get two doors normally used for extra tall units ( for housing a boiler) I believe they are about 895 mm long and I would fit these to the floor you my need to cut a small amount off the bottom if your floor is not level but the doors can be re edged using the iron on edging supplied with the Kitchen? That’s my thought and what I would do if it were my kitchen. I would then put a small return on the existing plinth coming into the back of the doors to close off that gap. The only thing that may look out of place is the shaker door not lining up with the panels under the oven.

Or if the above would not suit you then I would go for a bespoke shelving unit fitted on the inside of both doors to which the plinth could be added at the bottom to keep it in line with the existing, giving you storage for all those essentials needed in a kitchen and made fitted for purpose rather than to get over the void you have.
    Just my thoughts though.
  • Rose Williams
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

^^ I would take the advice of the carpenter.... there will be the issue of never being quite right/lining up. But, perhaps make more of the cupboard as I suggested before?

• PRO
    6 år sedan
    Ha Ha Rose, great minds! you are clearly a faster typer than me as no comments showed up when I started typing.
  • PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    6 år sedan
    I would add a plinth for sure!
  • Daisy England
    6 år sedan
    It looks odd without a plinth. I've had doors with floating plinths and they've looked fine.
  • Jonathan
    6 år sedan
    Definitely plinth the doors and try to set the plinth back from the door so that it matches the plinth next to it.
    Plinth itself may not be tall enough for these purposes but no doubt you can get a decor panel to do something similar.
    I liked the earlier suggestion of putting additional storage on the inside of the doors
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    6 år sedan
    I’d suggest one of two options ...

1. Tack on plinth to bottom of door 5mm off the floor for clearance - and add a small side to the right of last cabinet in run . ( as the plinth will be forward or the other plinth )

2. Create a plinth height boxing that will be stood on to reach higher things in the cabinet. ( this works if the internal depth of the whole cupboard is deeper by a foot length so you don’t stub your toes !)

Hope that helps !
    It’s looking good LTS !!
  • LTS
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Wow, thanks everyone!
    Rose, I've attached a pic so you can see that the extension is set in from the boundary & the larder is in the original part of the house.
    I like your idea of attaching additional storage to the doors...will look into that.
    MBH the bottom doors are already 895mm so would need larger, I appreciate what you are saying but am doubtful my OCD could live with the doors not being uninformed at the bottom! I think the additional shelving with the plinth added sounds a better solution to keep my mind calm. LOL.
    OP could you elaborate on your suggestion please? Am only on my second coffee of the day hence m still a bit foggy ;) Thanks, the kitchen is looking great...still need to source the wood for the breakfast bar & the decorating needs finishing but we are nearly there!! :)
  • kl55hp
    6 år sedan

Plinth! love the way you utilised the space for a pantry - great ideas.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    6 år sedan
    Just stopping work - to grab a sarnie - I’ll call you ! Ignore the munching sounds !!
  • PRO
    ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
    6 år sedan

If this was mine, I would put a large box/drawer with a strong lift up lid you can step on, with a plith front. That way you will have extra storage and solve the plinth problem.

• LTS
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    To give an idea (ignore the dust)...
  • Daisy England
    6 år sedan
    That looks better. Blend the floor in too as suggested.
  • Rose Williams
    6 år sedan

That turned out nicely!

• PRO
    ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
    6 år sedan

I like that!

• Rose Williams
    6 år sedan

I think you are not going to help but stand on the plinth step to reach up to the shelving, so I think the LVT is a great idea, to protect the shelf from looking dirty or scuffed up with use, and for the looks

• LTS
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thanks guys! Yes the step is there not only to solve the plinth dilemma but to help me reach the shelves...I'm only 5'2! I think the LVT is a good idea with it being so easy to clean.
    Really chuffed :)
  • PRO
    6 år sedan

Spot on It looks finished now! Good idea with the flooring on top.

• LTS
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    Thank you!
  • LTS
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    All done!
  • A S
    6 år sedan
    Looks very smart!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.