susanna_thomas

Furnishing this room - modern country

special morning
6 år sedan

Hi - I have emptied out my entrance hall as its being painted in soft dove grey. I also have floor length dove grey linen curtains.

Stuck on how else to fill it up again - all I really need is a lamp and somewhere to put keys, plus I have a wicker hamper out normally for gloves and hats. Coats and shoes are elsewhere.

Any recommendations how I could make it a welcoming when people come to the door. I like modern country style - kind of like Neptune etc...

Kommentarer (23)

• Emily
    6 år sedan
    I think your hall looks lovely :)
    The obvious suggestion is a nice mirror above radiator cover. And the other thing that came to mind is perhaps an interesting chair beside the front door? Maybe a one off find in an antique shop or maybe an upholstered chair or bench with some intriguing or bold colour fabric?
    I like sets of photos on hall walls too?
    I think halls can be interesting when they are roomy like yours. Places where unusual items create a talking point when a new person visits but you don’t have to sit looking at like you would in a lounge. I know it sounds a bit theatrical but I like things like a fake stuffed parrot in a bird cage!!
  • Susanna Thomas
    6 år sedan

Thanks, I was thinking about a chair.....

i forgot to say, budget is £500 - but one off finds in antique shops are hard for me as I don’t have much time to shop and never know where to go!

• Emily
    6 år sedan
    TK max is a good idea. They have interesting stuff and if you don’t have much time to go hunting around antique places a visit to nearest tsk max would be easier. :)
  • Susanna Thomas
    6 år sedan

Thanks, I’ll have a scoot. I want to find something elegant but not fussy.

For a console, should I try and get grey,or natural wood or white....?

• 1shanson
    6 år sedan
    Your personal preference Suzanne. All would look fine. I bought a waney wood table with chrome legs. I found it added warmth and texture to its setting. See what you can get within budget. You can inject colour into your hall through your pictures and use warm white bulbs in your lamp(s).
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

You have so nice alcove there, so use it for mirror and console .Some inspiration

• PRO
    6 år sedan

I would put some console table with mirror above.

Renovation - Mountain Home · Mer info

• PRO
    6 år sedan

I did some mocking up.

• Whistles S
    6 år sedan
    Hi would you mind letting me know where you got the lamp/ ceiling lighting? I’ve been looking for the same item. Many thanks
  • Susanna Thomas
    6 år sedan

Thank you celery girl. That’s quite glamourous!

I got the lamp from Jane knapp, not too bad a price either.

Still haven’t bought anything for the room I will update when I do

• PRO
    SE Interiors
    6 år sedan
    You have a lovely entryway that you can do so much with. I suggest having a console table with a mirror and some nice lamps like the image attached. And on the opposite side I would put some nice hooks to hang hats and light jackets on. Finally a rug would be great
  • Susanna Thomas
    6 år sedan

Thanks. That is the console I am considering, it’s from Neptune - but I’m looking at the smaller one without the middle leg. I have a hatstand around the corner for hats and coats so opposite there I could put something different maybe....

• Susanna Thomas
    6 år sedan

Here is the room with the curtains up......

• claire morgan
    6 år sedan

how about building something like this? Be good to hang up coats/ bags/ keys etc.

• minnie101
    6 år sedan

Do you have anywhere to sit and put on shoes? If not I'd consider having footstools beneath a console. You could try Ikea, dunelm or wayfair. I like the style of mirror celerygirl posted before as it would compliment the arch and leaded windows. I might add colour with a lampshade (perhaps repeat a little brass for the base) and a vase of eucalyptus. Perhaps a rattan umbrella stand on the other side of the door?

• Susanna Thomas
    6 år sedan

Nice ideas. We have shoe/hat/coat storage in a cupboard tucked away, not massively keen on it being out on show - unless it’s a boot room when that built in stuff would be perfect.

I do like that mirror too, have one the same on the stairs!

• PRO
    manuel gomez roman
    6 år sedan

Hi, maybe my artworks could help. Visit my page an have a look if you'd like to !

Best wishes,

Manuel.

• special morning
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Just comparing these two consoles side by side. Top one is much cheaper than bottom one. I'll have to see them in person, but I think I can see why.

Why is it always the way I prefer the dearer one....

• kikiamack
    6 år sedan
    I’ve been looking a lot at consoles over the last month and looked at the Neptune one, which is lovely, and others like you have posted. We have an oak staircase and the problem I found is that a lot of the consoles are whitewashed or slightly greywashed, which I think make the oak look more yellowy. I think this is something you need to bear in mind as your front door looks oak in the pictures.
  • sam irwin
    6 år sedan
    Hi as your floor is wood plus your door go for a different colour console table. Decorate with silver and blue or grey lamps and pop pictures or large mirror above console table. Is your pendant light white and silver? It’s a lovely large hall so lots of options. I have grey walls in my hall but my hall is very dark so I have a mirrored and black table in my hall with two lamps and large mirror to reflect light but I noted you prefer wood. Photos attached for some inspiration
  • PRO
    Couch Potato Company
    6 år sedan

Hi Susanna,

That hallway is lovely and spacious, you're so lucky!

For a sideboard, a natural wood would complement the room and bring some warmth, whilst providing a little bit of storage for keys and post. This WEWOOD walnut and oak one is lovely:

Or this slightly narrower and taller one:

Mister sideboard

If you like accent chairs, the Fri armchair from Fritz Hansen is beautifully comfortable:

• Fri chair

• Kaiser Idell 6556 lamp

• Little friend table

• For lighting, it would be good to bring some light to the corners. Perhaps a portable lamp suitable for floor or table use, like the Suspence Nomad:

• Suspence Nomad lamp

• Or a more delicate paper lamp for a sideboard or concierge, like this one from Vitra:

• Akari 1A lamp

• This Night Owl lamp marries a natural wood base with a sleek lampshade:

• Night Owl lamp

• There's lots out there, especially for a room with as much space as yours. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide, so do keep us updated with photos!

• Phoebe

• Susanna Thomas
    6 år sedan

Thank you guys. Yes I’d like to bring some light to the corners, nice suggestions. The existing pendant is brass and glass.

Thats interesting samjirwin - I would like to paint the oak door and the floor might not look too warm.....

I just want to try out a dark grey console, a white one and a wood one so I can choose the best. Hard when they are so big!

i know it’s not a right but here is a picture using what I’ve already got from years ago...... looking at it I hate the gold mirror the most.

maybe I could paint that mirror .....

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.