katie_farhang

Help me find the right Marble-looking quartz, please!

Katie Farhang
6 år sedan

It is TOUGH deciding on these countertops! We are doing white kitchen cabinets, a grey/brown wood flooring (Lauzon Smokey Grey in Hard Maple Engineered) and undecided on backsplash in an open concept floorplan kitchen and living space.

I love the look of Eternal Calacatta Gold in online photos (its the 2018 HGTV dream home counter and backsplash) but it is so tough to get the tones in the photos and the samples are so small. We live in Vermont and I'm not sure we will be able to get to the distributer in Boston before we have to make our decision.

We also like Eternal Statuario and LG Muse, going for the bright white with greys (not too, too dark of veins) and like the slight warmth that is in the Calacatta Gold. Please share any of your own photos of these or similar marble like quartz counters you've done. It will help so much to see actual photos of homes and hear your insights.

Thanks!!

Kommentarer (37)

• User
    6 år sedan

There are over 1M photos and debates on this site showing and discussing the exact same thing.

• Katie Farhang
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thanks so much! Is it typical that the slabs would vary slightly from one to the next? I keep seeing that the eternal calacatta gold silestone veining looks much more pronounced in some vs others (in photos that have similar lighting taken by non professionals, on this site). It seems our closest distributor is in Boston, 3 hours away from us here in Vermont and I don't think we will be able to get there before the decision has to be made.

• Mrs. Gopher #BringBackSophie
    6 år sedan

Yes it is common. However Quartz is man made so it should not have a significant difference in color from slab to slab

• Cindy Page
    6 år sedan

I am going with Silestone Eternal Statuario. I have been looking for over a year for a quartz that I felt didn't look to fake in trying to replicate a marble. I had over looked this line originally because one of the yards I went to carried it, but it appeared almost totally white in color. No veining. I happened to stop in at Cosentino and while waiting to view another slab, walked around and found their Stat stash. Holey smokes! I fell in love with it immediately. The veining was just what I had been looking for. Just beautiful.

I went back to the yard I had been using and was going to purchase another product with and asked to look thru their Stat. slabs telling them I was looking for a little more veining. They told me that there was no difference in the slabs. I said, "Au contre my frere!" they held firm saying nope I was wrong, until one of the workers walked by and agreed with me. We pulled out some slabs from the back of the pile and lo and behold, there they were.

So even the slab yards don't know what gems they have lurking in their piles!

You really have to see the slabs in person to get a feel for the color, texture and patterns.

Maybe with this particular product there is variation - honestly, the slabs in the front look like a different product line than the ones in the back. Trust me, I checked, double checked and triple checked the tags on them. We had to find two slabs that matched!

Katie Farhang thanked Cindy Page
  • PRO
    Luxury Kitchen Bath Express
    6 år sedan

One of the best I've seen is Calacatta Verona by MSI.

Katie Farhang thanked Luxury Kitchen Bath Express
  • Katie Farhang
    Författare
    6 år sedan

@obcindy YES! This is what I'm worried about. I have an appointment Monday but will have my toddler in tow and I'm just hoping to get lots looked at and a decision made. Do you have a picture of your counter you could share? I love the on you chose but the pictures on their site look SO busy while the samples have nothing going on and look so plain.

• Cindy Page
    6 år sedan

I am going to be at the fabricators today to select the layout for the kitchen. I'll take photos and post.

Katie Farhang thanked Cindy Page
  • Cindy Page
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

I took a closeup to show the veining detail and did a little "enhancement" on the photo of the whole slab to show the veining detail. In real life, it isn't as harsh as it may appear. Just hard to capture the subtle veining in these two slabs. Again, other slabs I looked at, same line of product, were almost all white. They do vary.

Silestone - Eternal Statuario!! No, not marble.

Getting so excited!!

• Cindy Page
    6 år sedan

Oh, and part of one of the slabs is going to be the counter top in the master bath, phase 2 of construction. Double bonus!!

• Cindy Page
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Also, @Katie Farhang, our cabinets are grey as well, see below:

Closeup of the pulls:

I gotta give a shout out to the person who is making this all possible - Doreen Owens, DSO Designs, interior designer extraordinaire!!

https://www.houzz.com/pro/owens5/dso-designs

• Katie Farhang
    Författare
    6 år sedan

@obcindy, this is beautiful! Gorgeous choice of pulls, too! We are making the drive out to Boston tomorrow and hope to see the counters. I just saw LG Viatera Muse nearby in another distributors showroom and it was fab! May be the one ;) Just have to make sure that its going to look the same as what I saw and that I don't love the Eternal Calacatta Gold more!

• kimberlymay628
    6 år sedan

@obcindy what brand are your pulls? I love them!

• Cindy Page
    5 år sedan

@kimberlymay628 - I am so sorry, I just saw your question - the pulls I got for the kitchen are:
    Hickory Hardware, Bridges and the square cabinet knob to match.

• califdream
    5 år sedan

I am sure that you have already made the countertop decision but if not, have you looked at Vadara quartz? I think that they have the most realistic "marble-looking" quartz slabs

• Lois Barber
    3 år sedan

Your counters look great, and this is too late for you, but for anyone else- please check out Viatera's new marble-like quartz called "Lumina".

• Pam S
    3 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 3 år sedan

@Lois Barber I live in Boston area and have yet to find a stone yard the carries Lumina to see a slab. Do tell if you know of one! I'm trying to decide between Hanstone Montauk and Vadara Sereno Gold. Comments welcome!

• Lois Barber
    3 år sedan

Hi Pam, I answered you on another comment thread, but I'll do so here too, in case you don't see it. Here is a close up of the largest streak in Lumina. It's very feathered and to me, looks very natural and subtle. (that's my shadow in the lower part and overhead circle of light )

• Lois Barber
    3 år sedan

Here is my large peninsula. the background color is not as gray as it appears in the photo. The mix of sunlight and artificial light makes my colors "off" and I cannot find of way of correcting it.

• Lois Barber
    3 år sedan

Here is a "where to buy" link. type in your zipcode and call all the warehouses near your area. The color is new, but I'm sure somewhere in Boston you might be able to find it. I took a list of all the colors I wanted to see, and Lumina ended up being my choice at 2 different warehouses that carried it. Let me know how you do! Link - https://www.lghausysusa.com/viatera/about/where-buy.do

• Pam S
    3 år sedan

Thank you, @Lois Barber!! This is so helpful seeing the photos. I'll let you know how I make out

• nutmeg w
    3 år sedan

Thanks for showing Lois. I have samples of viatera lumina and viatera etude and have been ignoring the lumina bec the sample I have doesn’t really include the pattern - it’s mostly a boring vacuum of white with some squiggles. Etude is quite lovely so I have focused on it instead. I’ll have to get another sample of lumina. Yours is very pretty. Frankly, lumina and etude are quite similar it seems and I was wondering what the difference really is. We have an open floor plan so i don’t have a sense of will the counter just look like a block of white from afar or will pattern be somewhat visible.

• Cindy Page
    3 år sedan

This is why it really is worth the time and effort to view an entire slab of these kinds of materials. I am soooo glad I did, I would have never found my beautiful counter tops.

• Lois Barber
    3 år sedan

My advice to you and anyone is to go found full slabs of whatever you want to go with. Bring a list of possibilities with you. The house brand at Lowes is called allan & roth, and they had an entire mock kitchen made with a quartz called "Peaceful". It was really nice, and there was a 20% off sale on it. I went to see a full slab at their warehouse, and Peaceful was anything but its name. It had HUGE solid color streaks running through it, It was NOTHING like not only the rectangular sample they have next to other samples, but not even the full countertop that was on display. Loews must have purposely selected and cut the counter slabs that did not show the huge solid streaks. The same thing with Calcutta Gold. The full slab also had large solid streaks. I'm not putting that choice down, but it is not the look I was going for. I was going for something not as dramatic, and that looked like real marble.

• nutmeg w
    3 år sedan

Will definitely view slabs just not at that point. Still deciding on cab colors (probably ben moore super white uppers and some form of greeny gray or greeny blue lowers). Also for lumina, does yours show any warmth or is it predominantly cool toned. My sample suggests a hint of gold amidst gray on a white background. I’m looking for that mix of gold with gray. That’s the look etude has and I wonder how lumina reads to u. It’s interesting u mention peaceful bec that was on my radar a while back but it’s too gray for what I need.

• Pam S
    3 år sedan

I was finally able to find ONE slab of Lumina locally. The sun was blinding and reflecting off the plastic wrap but I managed to get a few semi-decent photos, if this helps anyone.

• Jo Juneman
    3 år sedan

Help! Does anyone have pictures of LG Etude? I was previously thinking Muse, but just recently saw the new Etude on LG website and it looks beautiful.

• nutmeg w
    3 år sedan

LG Etude.

• dinaport
    3 år sedan

I saw slabs of Viatera today. Etude and Lumina are nearly identical.

• Lois Barber
    3 år sedan

dinaport - aren't both of the side-by-side slabs Etude?

• dinaport
    3 år sedan

loisbarber...I didn't post a picture of Etude. And I edited my previous comment....I found out today that the two slabs that I saw in person were mislabeled. Thankfully I went to the distributor a second time! That's how similar Etude and Lumina are. So the one that I thought I liked is actually Lumina, not Etude. Lumina seems to have a warmth and softness to it that I like. Etude is gorgeous and has more of a criss-cross look to it. It's really important to see the whole slab...the samples just don't show the patterns!

• Lois Barber
    3 år sedan

dinaport- I went with Lumina and I love it! I paired it with WOW gloss pearl gray subway tiles. they go perfectly together. It's a warmer gray than most. It's hard to get the color correct in a photo, but try to get a sample of gloss pearl by WOW and hold it up to Lumina. https://www.artwalktile.com/products/wow/subway-lab/subway-lab-line-one-liso-m-pearl-gloss-wowsublablisomg5

• Lois Barber
    3 år sedan

Lumina with WOW Pearl Gloss subway tile

• Susan Bhavsar
    2 år sedan

@Pam S Which did you end up going with, Lumina? I'd love to see your kitchen!

• cupofkindnessgw
    2 år sedan

@Lois Barber What is the color name of your kitchenaid stand mixer? Is it matte or gloss? Thanks!

• Houzz-ID: 989015962100
    2 år sedan

Cupokindness - It is a discontinued blue. I think the color was "Willow" . The Navy was too dark, and the cobalt a bit bright. I think they replaced Willow with "Twilight" LOOK _ THEY JUST BROUGHT BACK WILLOW! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FQ9H9Y?SubscriptionId=AKIAINII3XBB4YWNS5LQ&ascsubtag=837036419-16-965098117.1643463035&linkCode=osi&psc=1&tag=d_2b_a_p-20&th=1

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.