hasmuk

Living room lighting help

hasmuk
6 år sedan

Hi, I recently bought 2 lights for my living room. Not very happy with them- a few reasons but 1 thing that stands out is I'm not getting enough light for the room. Before looking for replacements, I wanted to ask you if there is a recommended diameter of the lights for the size of my room? Ceiling is concrete and I have just 2 points to use. Room dimensions are 4.18m x 6.28m. The ceiling is quite low at 2.37m so I'd need to have fairly flush lights.

If I go for the style which as multiple heads (like this one) - what would be the recommended number of heads?

Thank you!

Hasina

Kommentarer (6)

• PRO
    Casa Colori
    6 år sedan

Hi Hasmuk, I hope you do not mind me suggesting something different to solve your problem. I assume you need more light to work; last summer I decorated my flat and I was in the situation, my studio was not too bright and I used an LED panel from IKEA (please see photo below). You might find many other on the market. If you want more light to create an atmosphere, why not to buy some nice sample lamps. I like the idea to have paintings like you did.

I hope it helps

Office (4) · Mer info

• PRO
    Inspyer Lighting
    6 år sedan

Afternoon,

As a rule of thumb the ideal size of a pendant or chandelier can be determined by measuring the length and width of the room in feet and adding them together. Whatever number you arrive at will be the diameter of the fitting in inches.

For example, your living room is roughly 14’ x 21’.

14 + 21 = 35

Therefore the ideal size for a pendant or chandelier should be 35 inches.

If you’re unhappy with the light output, check the stated lumen output on the fittings you bought and do the same with anything you’re looking at to ensure you get more from the replacements.

You should also consider adding another layer of light using table and standard lamps. Doing this will increase the amount of light available and at the same time, because you can choose which lights you have on at any time, gives you a bit more versatility and adds a bit more interest to the room.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Inspyer Lighting Design

• hasmuk
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thank you all for your guidance! Much appreciated.
    Sorry I didn't say - the room will have a tall upright halogen in 1 corner (near the desk) and a side lamp on a table near the sofa and window.

Inspyer - thanks for this calculation! Does the same calculation apply if I have 2 lights in the room?

• PRO
    Colville Design Ltd
    6 år sedan

Hi there,

Are you still looking for some advice?

The calculation of the lighting is only applicable if you're having one focal in a room. In your case, I would use lighting that is smaller than 35 inches, as you are planning to have two lightings in the space. Are you planning to have the same lighting on both points? I would advise having two different pendant lights in the similar style to another, perhaps minimalist style. This will look great in your living area! I would love to help you find your perfect lighting.

This style is something I advise

Colville design

• PRO
    The Luxury Code
    6 år sedan

Hi there Hasina! Have you thought about spotlights at all? Your space is a substantial size with only one (it appears) source of natural light, I would say that you want to light up as many areas as possible which spotlights are great for.

If not, then two lights with several heads (at least four) would be a good idea to make sure the light is going to each corner.

You could always mix and match with spotlights going down the lengths of the walls to really brighten them up and then pendants in the middle, it looks beautiful!

St John's Wood Penthouse · Mer info

Villa Ullebo · Mer info

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.