alex_tz

Reconsidering lighting in living room

Alex T
6 år sedan

Hi all,

I'm thinking of making this space feel a bit cozier with some rethinking of lighting and furniture. The TV and stand will be replaced with a standing desk made of reclaimed wood and thin legs, and the coffee table will be matching. Armchairs witll be replaced by a love / cuddle swivel sofa.

The think I can't get my head around is lighting. I'm considering replacing the cornice molding at the top of the walls with cove lighting (https://www.wmboyle.co.uk/product-category/lightweight-mouldings/coving-cornice/uplighting-cornice/) and at the same time replace the existing lamp with something like this: https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2700592

Would love to hear others thoughts. Something to keep in mind.. this room is not too high

Thank you in advance :)

Kommentarer (21)

• minnie101
    6 år sedan

I agree with Carolina. Just wondered if you’d also considered a warmer wall colour if you want a warmer feel? Will the tv go on the other side of the fire as I’m guessing you can see the back of the tv from the stairs and put the plant that side instead? Do you have pictures of what you’re going to order? Perhaps a throw or 2 and a couple more cushions will also help and could bring in some pattern?

Alex T thanked minnie101
  • verdigrisjane
    6 år sedan
    I think it is fabric and textures that will make it cosier. At the moment there are many nice looking but hard surfaces ...floor, glass table, shutters and even the artwork stones! So maybe a rug, a throw, more cushions, plant/s and then plan some ambient lighting ...lamps rather than ceiling or coving lights.
    Alex T thanked verdigrisjane
  • Ellie
    6 år sedan
    I think curtains would make it cosier
    Alex T thanked Ellie
  • Emily
    6 år sedan
    I agree with those you think it’s the wall colour that’s stopping it feeling cosy. Actually I really like your room, would love to see some strong colours, think your shutters could really look fab against for example dark green??
    Alex T thanked Emily
  • Alex T
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thank you so much everyone - here is the new coffee table: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/524742409/handmade-rustic-tv-stand-tv-unit?ref=shop_home_active_9

and the standing desk will replace the TV & stand (which I'm getting rid of completely). It will look like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/522264165/rustic-desk-industrial-desk-standing?ref=shop_home_active_20

I really like the idea of soft textures (carpets are problematic as we have a dog..)

On the lighting front - I'd prefer to complement the rustic look of the tables, if possible. Just don't know exactly how, yet.

• Carolina
    6 år sedan

Okay, so here are some ideas. One is more of a coastal vibe and the other more industrial. Hope it helps you to see the possibilities. The rug is synthetic, low pile, easy to clean. Found it on the Benuta website.

Have you ordered the TV table yet? It looks a bit high and short to me? Ideally you need something that is wider than the TV and will have the screen at about eye level when you're sitting down.

• Alex T
    Författare
    6 år sedan
    oh wow! this is really really cool Carolina! thank you!!

regarding the TV - we will not have any TV at all. the standing desk will be for a computer
  • PRO
    Casa Colori
    6 år sedan

Hi Alex I agree with what Caroline wrote at beginning. the cove light will make your room darker not cosier. If I were you I would add table lamps and place LED strips at the back of furniture. The light reflect by the walls create a very welcome feeling (please see photo) please bear in mind I am not a photographer.

I hope it helps

Alex T thanked Casa Colori
  • PRO
    Wolfe Interiors
    6 år sedan

Hi, have you considered having a pendant light which can be hung lower? The lack of ceiling height shouldn't be a problem as you have the coffee table underneath so no one will be walking directly under it. This will create a focus over the seating area, instantly making it more inviting and homely. How about using some wall lighting on the wall behind your sofa? Looking at the style you've chosen for your new furniture there are some fabulous options now for plug in wall lights that don't need hard wiring and are in keeping with the rustic/industrial feel you like. Add some task lighting on your new desk area, and rug and you room will definitely feel more welcoming and cosy. Feel free to contact me if you are wanting any further advice.

Alex T thanked Wolfe Interiors
  • PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Hello Alex,

I just noticed only one, small mirror there. You may want to hang huge wall mirror, it is actually proven that mirrors make rooms more spacey.

Printed beveled framed mirrors · Mer info

If you are interested in our work, feel free to contact me at erwin@sunstudio.london, we might do the mirror backlit for you, or if you are much more interested, we can do TV mirror :)

Best!

Alex T thanked SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
  • PRO
    Colville Design Ltd
    6 år sedan

Hi Alex,

You have a great spot for a focal in your room, hanging over the coffee table. I would advise having a contemporary pendant light that would add style to your room. As an alternative lighting, spotlights and LED will look great in your room. Is there a particular style you like? I would love to help.

• PRO
    Inspyer Lighting
    6 år sedan

These Scraplights are handcrafted from recycled cardboard and provides warm, intimate, and functional lighting for any occasion or type of space.

Scraplights by Graypants

Alex T thanked Inspyer Lighting
  • PRO
    Inspyer Lighting
    6 år sedan

These Pendant lights come to life when switched on and were inspired by the Rising Sun

They are available in different sizes, finishes and can be clustered together.

Here Comes the Sun Pendant Light by DCW Editions

• PRO
    Inspyer Lighting
    6 år sedan

An effective way to maximize the appearance and functionality of any space is to light in layers. Multiple light sources help balance a room by minimizing glare and shadows while adding depth and dimension.

The most important layer is ambient lighting, this will be your overhead fixture and use of wall lighting. The second layer is task lighting so perhaps look to add a softer floor lamp or reading lamps and finish off with accent lighting, a focus light on your pictures perhaps. The variance in light levels will provide you with more warmth and highlight key features within the room.Feel free to give us a call to discuss further or should you require more help with product selection

Inspyer Lighting

• KK1000
    6 år sedan
    It seems you are getting a mid century style tables. Your fireplace is mixture of traditional and modern details, balustrade in the background is traditional. You are looking at the light fittings that are very modern. To me it seems that you have to decide on what style you want to go with. The wall colour definitely doesn’t suit mid century/ industrial look . I would go for inspiration to your artwork of “ pebbles “ , those colours are beautiful but don’t go to dark. If possible get some one to help you with fireplace and make it look more Industrial. As far as lighting goes, use pendants in the corners above side tables or TV so you don’t bump in it all the time. Have some table and floor lamps but be careful with the style , they don’t have to match but at least they should belong to similar style. Your room seems large so don’t buy lots of small pieces of furniture, go large and only what is necessary.
  • KK1000
    6 år sedan
    PS nothing makes room cosier than an oversized rug . Floor looks very cold at the moment.
    Alex T thanked KK1000
  • KK1000
    6 år sedan
    Sconces would work well I your room and you could use them in the corridor and above the stairs.
    Alex T thanked KK1000
  • KK1000
    6 år sedan
    Pendant lights
    Alex T thanked KK1000
  • PRO
    Colville Design Ltd
    6 år sedan

Hi there,

Are you still looking for a pendant light? We have a wide range of ceiling and pendant lights that would look great in your living area, creating a focal. Check our website for the range of pendant lights on ColvilleDesign. Let me know if you have a question. I would love to help.

Alex T thanked Colville Design Ltd
  • Alex T
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thank you very much, everyone! Really appreciated your advice :)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.