rhondajane_n

Planning a total bathroom reno

Nelson Interior Stylists
6 år sedan
senast redigerad:6 år sedan

Hi guys. i thought i would see if any builder has some advice for me or any other professional .

Im a property stylist so i can make it look pretty once the bones are there but for now some advice would be great.

We have brought this beautiful art deco inspired home .

Built in 1947.

At the moment the laundry has a shower and toilet so the main bathroom is used to brush our teeth and no much more.

I was thinking of a bathroom with no bath as our kids are grown up and the youngest is 9 so showers are fine but selling later causes a ? on that.

This will be the first room to change, our home is a soft Hampton palette lending itself to grey blue and crispe white.

Dimentions are a small 2450 x 1750 so tight i know. i would like to the keep these old window unless you think they have to go.

Kommentarer (34)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    6 år sedan

Do you need a toilet in this bathroom, or is there another toilet nearby, apart from the one in the laundry?

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

a toilet would be great as we only have one in the laundry.

Basically we brought the house and the last people started putting things in place to do the reno hence the toilet in the laundry. once the bathroom is done we will do the reno on the laundry

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

Dr Retro asked is there a toilet nearby, ie is the laundry next door to the bathroom.

Some clever plumbing like this might be needed in your reno to help preserve features.

Small older style bathroom similar size to yours with wall mounted vanity retaining old window, toilet and shower with a curtain.

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thank you so much for all your help.

I really love the idea of a bath under the window.

I think from what you said that a toilet may have to be removed from the room.

We have a bedroom that is 5 x 4.5 metres so we could put one in there i guess.

Its so lovely of you to take your time to give me advice.

I do not want a tiny tiny sink but i understand its tight on space.

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

Oops sorry I didn't notice that you had directed your dilemma at Professionals.

As a non pro I think it would be a shame to cram so much into a "family bathroom", you mentioned that the your kids shower anyway.

Having 5 x 4,5m bedroom with room for an ensuite which could easily accommodate a normal sized bath would be my choice. good luck

Nelson Interior Stylists thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    6 år sedan

Hi there, I had to laugh when you said the kids were grown up the youngest is 9yrs, there's a bit more growing to be done in your family. But seriously think of me as a potential buyer with 3 "grown up kids", I would be very concerned about floor space and not just how much can be crammed into a small space, my grown up kids are 6'4 and 6'2 cheers

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

When I say grown up it’s because I have 7 children and 4 have left that are 26,22,20 and 18 . So I guess I mean not toddlers so a bath is not a must . It’s a little house so I have little options

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

That's a big family, do they visit often, it appears that the shower and WC in the laundry will be necessary for that number.

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Yes they visit every week . And they each call at least 2 times a week . As we are also doing a large 3 x 6 metre decking that will serve as eat in and out area we may be able to put a toilet there as I’m closing in part of the deck I think

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

being the second youngest of seven children I know exactly how that is, wonderful, we only had one WC, not sure how we all survived, that big indoor out door space will be perfect.

• annb1997
    6 år sedan

I also think a bath under the window would be lovely, and a floating vanity and toilet tucked along wall and behind door; however if you wouldn't use a bath, then go with a shower. Agree with suggestion to change the door and hinge it on the right.

Nelson Interior Stylists thanked annb1997
  • Jenny Wilcox
    6 år sedan

Regarding the hinged door on the right, you probably have your light switches there. These could be moved onto the wall immediately outside the bathroom; alternatively, could you put a sliding door which goes into the wall, as it looks like there is no plumbing or anything at that end of the bath. If you do want a shower in that corner, the side wall could take the plumbing.

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    6 år sedan

I think this plan will give you the best use of the space you have and you don't even have to rehang the door if you don't want to. Leave the little used bath out, plan for yourselves rather than resale.

Nelson Interior Stylists thanked Daniel Lindahl Architecture
  • PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    6 år sedan
    Daniel Lindahl's sketch is spot on! Except maybe switch the door to swing towards wall.

You can also switch toilet and vanity if you prefer.

Big walk in shower will look good. Just find good tile to make it a feature
    Nelson Interior Stylists thanked 3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
  • PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Ok you guys are right. No bath sounds perfect

• PRO
    6 år sedan

I think the toilet near the door is better, then you can have the paper roll to the side instead of behind you! And yes, if it's easy to switch the door hanging I would do it, but there is that thing about the light switch, and I have never been a fan of having bathroom light switches outside the door, especially in a household of 9-year olds! Too much opportunity for pranks when you are in the shower...

• angelasusanm
    6 år sedan

Definitely ditch the bath (unless you happen to like dusting and cleaning baths) – a small bathroom does not need a tub. Refer to the small bathroom design feature in today's Houzz post for lots of Good Ideas.

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

there is only one question.

where the shower is going there is a window.

can i still have the shower if the window is there?

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

Not with those windows you would need a highlight window, and you were wanting to keep the windows, so it looks like a shower on the left had side looking in, or a lovely laundry, any floor plans yet

• PRO
    6 år sedan

If you don't want to change the window openings I would think you could keep the windows as long as they have obscure glass for privacy.

The main issue would be how to protect the timber from rotting in the wet environment. I would be inclined to replace them with aluminium framed double-hung windows in the same openings, with fixed ventilation at the top.

Also remove the architraves and trim back the inside sill flush with the wall, then dress the waterproof membrane into the opening and take the wall tiling up to at least the top of the windows, if not to the ceiling.

Nelson Interior Stylists thanked Daniel Lindahl Architecture
  • PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

I’ve got plans. I will load tonight when I’m home

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

That would be good to see, as with all houses of that period the Loo was down the end of a path in the back garden. They were eventually brought forward to the rear of the house along with the laundry usually under a verandah like yours, but not in side like the bathroom.

That makes me think that there must be a a Loo and laundry some where behind the bathroom.

An opening skylight would work wonders for the existing bathroom but I think it could be so much more

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

No there is no loo there. The last people started a Reno but only to sell the house so we have had to have some plumbing fixed along with repairing many skirtings and so on.

The laundry is under the roof but the last people put a shower and toilet in there too but we will remove this.

Anothe home down the street used a whole room to create wet areas but we don’t want to do that as we are lucky to have feature fireplaces

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

Fireplaces can look beautiful in bathrooms

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

floorplan?

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Ok friends here’s the plan

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Here is one of what we are thinking after all your amazing help but kitchen needs help and I cannot decide

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

Thanks for the measurements, there were a few missing that would have made it easier to be more precise, But I'am making suggestions on what I think might fit within the existing floor plan which you are trying to do. the only small extension is to fit the laundry into a shared family bathroom. As there is already a shower and toilet in the current laundry I think it would be wrong to move them as they are close to your new alfresco area for the family to have easy access when you have your get togethers.

To try and keep the girls bedrooms a good size and together with the other two bedrooms I suggest working with the fireplace and making the current Bathroom and ensuite but with the ability to share the toilet with the girls during the night.

I have added my beloved barn doors to close off the kitchen from the bedrooms and also to be able to leave open during the day for extra light., the planned deck with roof over will make the dining/study/kitchen darker so you might need to consider a sky light.

Anyway just a few different ideas trying to work with and around special features cheers

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Thank you for your kindness in doing the design but a few things can’t change. I love our living with the fireplace and we have had wires placed through the chimney for a tv on the wall and a new sofa has been ordered as has sheets curtains for that room.

see photo

At the moment we are happy to take space from pearls room as they are large rooms.

we also own a unit at the back of our property that is having a toilet and shower put in .

I think with the laundry to keep the toilet but remove the shower as it’s only a temp one while renovating and is a fibreglass small unit.

My husband did the plans so some of the measurements may not be perfect but very close.

my fatherlaw will draw them up later as he’s a draftsman

the kitchen is an area that we are trying to see what we can do as I’ve seen homes where the kitchen flows into the split level

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

Another thought for you.

The step down to the old verandah, would you consider bringing that up to the same floor level as the kitchen, I know you're trying not to push walls out but I would rather see you add space to the old verandah and add the bi fold/sliders but preferably French doors and then add a deck off that.?

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    Författare
    6 år sedan

We thought of bringing the floors at the same level but the roof is low on the bottom level so it can’t be done. My husband is 6 foot and my 2 sons are 6 foot 1 and 6 foot 3

• siriuskey
    6 år sedan

If it was within budget it would be worth while level that roof out so that it loses it's filled in Verandah appearance. We had a house with a filled in Verandah it was so much better when we leveled the floor and became it part of the house which also allowed furniture to fit better.

• PRO
    Evergreen Walls Pty Ltd
    6 år sedan

Hi Nelson,

It’s great to hear that you’re trying to stick to the art deco style of the home as much as possible! If you really want to keep the bath, place it underneath the windows, as a shower there will mean a lot more waterproofing to protect those window frames. Otherwise, a shower behind the door and a toilet on the left-hand side when you walk in will suit your grown family as well as provide a lot more space for things you will actually use.

Good luck with it,

Richard

Nelson Interior Stylists thanked Evergreen Walls Pty Ltd
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.