cmbmesa

family photos as home decor

cmbmesa
5 år sedan
Yes or no? I just moved and am struggling with where to hang framed photos of my children. Do I relegate them to the upstairs hallways where my kiddos reside? Or should they be prominently displayed throughout my home? I have several pieces of art in the main living areas so it’s not a matter of need to cover space, but my kiddos are MY greatest art. Someone commented to me recently that family photos should stay out of the main areas!
no keep your kids to yourself!
yes to photos everywhere!

Kommentarer (15)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 år sedan

I am old fashioned and don't display photographs of my children or family on my walls. I wonder a lot about how this prohibition came to be. Back in the olden days, didn't people of means hang portraits of their family on their walls?

I will say from personal experience, I think it can look a bit conceited to adorn your walls with pictures of your offspring (how I came to this is a long story- the short version is a photographer printed a picture of my family and had it transferred to a canvas and displayed it at he house when selling her services- and to my eyes, if I were displaying that picture on my wall, it would have looked incredibly conceited.)

So all this to say, I like family photographs displayed in frames on side tables and shelves and such.

• palimpsest
    5 år sedan

I would say in frames on tables and such, but not so much on the walls of the LR and DR.

• deegw
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

People have very strong feelings about this subject on both sides.

Some people think that prominent family photos oblige guests to comment.

Then there are the "it's your house, do what you want" contingent.

I don't mind a few family photos as long as they aren't a focal point in the room. The main issue I have with family photos is they often aren't displayed properly. Crooked gallery walls, cheap frames and unattractive arrangements seem to be the rule rather than the exception.

• ilikefriday
    5 år sedan

Rita - If you saw my home you would think I was the most egotistical person on earth if family photos on the wall are the indicator. I just counted 13 family photos on the wall in my living room. None on side tables or shelves. AND they are all of one child..... I mean dh and I are in the photos too but we are certainly not the star of the show. I have a gallery wall that has 8, another that has 3, and then there are 2 other ones scattered. Maybe I should rethink my wall decor?? LOL! But in my defense, my frames are not crooked as Dgw mentioned above. Im not so sure about the other part (cheap frames, unattractive arrangements), but they are not crooked. ;-)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 år sedan

Ha! Friday, you know I love the pictures I have seen of your house. As I said, I would have felt it looked conceited with respect to me and my family. I have never thought that seeing other people's children and family on their walls.

ETA Your walls are pretty artistic in general. There is a mix of things on them that in and of itself is very beautiful.

• ilikefriday
    5 år sedan

Rita I'm just giving you a hard time! But there really are 13 family photos on the walls, even in the photos you saw.

• Trem Wills
    5 år sedan
    Your second last sentence is your answer. You should hang your greatest art where you can enjoy it the most.
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    5 år sedan

If you want to keep them to yourself, then do so. But if you want to see them all around the house, then put them all around the house. Personally, I like candid photos, not portraits, but that's a personal aesthetic. Essentially, though, I believe you should decorate your home for you, not for your guests.

• iheartsix
    5 år sedan
    I'm stepping out on a limb here and will echo this phrase -- it's your home, your family. It shouldn't matter to ANYONE where you hang/place family photos/prints/portraits. A home filled with love is a blessed one and that's all that should matter :)
  • Denita
    5 år sedan

I agree with both Toronto Veterinarian and iheartsix.

When you have your home on the market for sale, that is different. Then the family photos need to be put away so buyer's aren't distracted when showing your home.

However, when your home is not on the market, display those photos! Make your home for you to enjoy. Personally, I like seeing family photos a lot better than staged coffee tables or staged wall units! JMO

• PRO
    Master Tile Kitchen and Bath Design
    5 år sedan

In general, I don't like family photographs on the wall - they're better displayed table top. The multi-window collage type of frame are the worst offenders on the wall-hung family photos. A few in nice black 8x10 frames in a hallway are fine though.

• PRO
    User
    5 år sedan

Display what you love and brings joy into your life :)

• njmomma
    5 år sedan

I display mine on long window table.

One frame is digital and the pic is constantly changing.

I love, love, love looking at them.

It's the best art in the world for me.

• cmbmesa
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Thank you all so much for the insight! I agree that done in a tasteful way, I can make a few photos look great in the main portions of my house. Candid photos, check! Nice black frames, check! No scary collages, check! Hahaha Appreciate it!!!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.