paul_lawrence12

looking for interior designer mentor

hi my name is paul and i have a passion to become an interior designer. i always love decorating from the time i was young.so now i am following my goal and dream

Kommentarer (51)

• PRO
    Interior designer/ Electrician
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    ok i know. planning to sign up at nyaid online program
  • Depo
    5 år sedan
    Sophie has give you excellent advise!
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 år sedan

You'll also want to find a mentor who is geographically close to you. The internet age means we can communicate with people all over the globe really easily, but to be mentored effectively you'll need to find someone who intimately understands the nuances of the culture you'll be working with.

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    thanks to all
  • K Laurence
    5 år sedan

Yes, Sophie is right. During recent work at my home the biggest challenge was finding an electrician that was competent in designing & completing our more creative ( or maybe I should say unusual ) lighting desires both inside our home & outside.

• cpaul1
    5 år sedan

I would stick with being an electrician and partnering with interior designers. I enrolled in an online interior design program for fun once, I thought it would be interesting and one more thing to add to the resume, but I found it to be a huge disappointment. Online is not going to give you anything real, it's just a way to take your money. I knew more than the courses and i ended my enrollment rather quickly. So beware.

• PRO
    User
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Interior designers and interior decorators are two different things. An interior designer needs to know building codes, ergonomics, space planning, finish selection, Autocad/Sketchup, etc. which requires schooling.

However, if you want to be an Interior Decorator, then you would be dealing more with "soft finishes" like pillows, furnishings and paint colors.

First, I would determine which of the two professions you are hoping to pursue. Then, from there I would contact local professionals to see if they need any help with grunt work. This will give you an idea of the true realities of each profession to see if it's something you want to invest in (i.e. school) and pursue.

Like others have said, you being an electrician is a huge plus for lighting design.

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    i am from barbados and i did my research and there aint much local school that teach interior design but have some interior decorating courses. i am an eletrician for eighteen years now and l hate doing the same thing over and over all the time. i hate to see the same house design in my country and if its difference on the outside sure bet not the interior.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 år sedan

I hear you...

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    thank sophie wheeler i take your to heart and did some research on lighting design. thank to all for the words of encourgement.
  • PRO
    406 Window Co.
    5 år sedan

Amen @glowindows!

• loobab
    5 år sedan

Besides the lighting plans for high end renovations, I wonder if you could also specialize in designing and installing the technology for "smart homes," homes that have all the latest technology for every everything, and that can be controlled with computers and a smart phone.

More and more people are wanting that nowadays.

Perhaps that can be your niche, too along with all the latest energy efficient solutions like solar heating panels, etc.

• tedbixby
    5 år sedan

While you explore this area, keep your day job and consider getting a part-time night/week-end job at a furniture store. Part of the skill sets of working with the public is the ability to communicate efficiently and to understand the customers needs and wants within a budget. Working in a store will help you with these skill sets and at the same time give you some experience along with helping you make a realistic decision if your dream should become a reality. Good luck.

• loobab
    5 år sedan
    Paul-
    Here is a sobering note.
    Health insurance costs a fortune.
    If you are in the electricians union, please don’t leave until you are sure you can make a very good living doing something else.
    Your current union gives you fantastic benefits including health insurance.
    Through the union you can take courses to advance and specialize your skills, too.
  • artistsharonva
    5 år sedan

Supply & demand. Electricians in higher demand. Will make more $ faster to pursue other things later.

Save up $ & buy/invest in homes, remodel them with other guys you meet on the field. You already have an electrician.

Don't waste $ on online schools. Experience on the field is more valuable.

Watch tutorial youtube videos. Learn to read blueprints & scale.

Maybe donate your skills through Habitat for Humanity while making new contacts, learning on field about homes while helping others.

Maybe work part time for a lighting design company & specialize in lighting design in homes.

Best of luck to you.

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    thanks for kind words. but there no unions for electricians and not much companies offer health insurance. my plans are to help out at a local designer firm
  • loobab
    5 år sedan
    Are you in the U.S.?
  • PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    no in barbados west indies
  • loobab
    5 år sedan

The electrician's union, IBEW, is international and is in several Caribbean countries. You might want to check it out. www.ibew.org

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    ok loobab i will
  • PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    hi all, i now found out that the barbados community college offer a interior design course with lighting design as part of the course. i apply today to do it. a one year course
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 år sedan

All the best of luck!!

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    thanks lindsay.
  • loobab
    5 år sedan

Good luck and lots of success!

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    thanks loobab
  • PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    hi all, I am in need of your all advise. the barbados community college had an interior decorating course going on for years, but only last year them change the name to interior design cause its more popular trend, but still have the decorating programs and offering it as a designer course. i am so mad and disappointed with the education system in my country.
  • shirlpp
    5 år sedan

So they changed the name of the course, what do you need advice on?

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 år sedan

I don't understand why the name change is so offensive. If the curriculum or course of study is the same what does it matter what they call it?

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    decorating and designing is to difference things!
  • PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    no autocad, blueprint reading etc....
  • tedbixby
    5 år sedan

I'm a bit confused as if you want to specialize in lighting, Interior Design would be the direction you want to go, not decorating. Have you sat down with someone at the school and discussed what you want to achieve and ask them how can you make this dream become a reality? And perhaps they can direct you to what classes you need to take even if you decide to go to just decorating.

Interior designer

Interior designer implies that there is more of an emphasis on planning, functional design and the effective use of space, as compared to interior decorating. An interior designer in fineline design can undertake projects that include arranging the basic layout of spaces within a building as well as projects that require an understanding of technical issues such as window and door positioning, acoustics, and lighting.[1] Although an interior designer may create the layout of a space, they may not alter load-bearing walls without having their designs stamped for approval by a structural engineer. Interior designers often work directly with architects, engineers and contractors.

Interior designers must be highly skilled in order to create interior environments that are functional, safe, and adhere to building codes, regulations and ADA requirements. They go beyond the selection of color palettes and furnishings and apply their knowledge to the development of construction documents, occupancy loads, healthcare regulations and sustainable design principles, as well as the management and coordination of professional services including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and life safety—all to ensure that people can live, learn or work in an innocuous environment that is also aesthetically pleasing.

Someone may wish to specialize and develop technical knowledge specific to one area or type of interior design, such as residential design, commercial design, hospitality design, healthcare design, universal design, exhibition design, furniture design, and spatial branding. Interior design is a creative profession that is relatively new, constantly evolving, and often confusing to the public. It is not an artistic pursuit and relies on research from many fields to provide a well-trained understanding of how people are influenced by their environments.

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    tedbixby i want to become an interior designer with lighting design skills too!
  • PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    in my lunch hour i went to three interior design firms ask to work on weekends for free and was turn down. i even ask some freelance designers too but all said their dont have no jobs going on and wouldn't take my number. i join houzz so i can meet people who are will to give back to society but it dont look so but thanks to all i will find my way to my goals!
  • tedbixby
    5 år sedan

So still not understanding the problem. You are telling us the school changed the name of the course to Interior Design. Are you saying that this is not an Interior Design course but more of a decorating one? And there are not any classes available for blue print, CAD, etc?

Have you personally gone and talked to someone at the college?

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    yes today. the fine art department and get a leaflette on course. it is the same programs as the previous decorating course just the name change! i was told by an interior designer to go there. if is one thing i do my research
  • tedbixby
    5 år sedan

Since you are going during your lunch hour, are you dressed as you would if you were to work for these firms and what would be expected. Are you talking to the person that does the hiring? If you are going during lunch, probably all the people that make the decision are also at lunch. Do you have a resume with a cover letter explaining that you are looking to go to the next level in your job with your goals stated and how you are planning to achieve it and how their firm can help. Even if they tell you no, you can leave this behind and tell them if things change, you'd appreciate a call. Are the firms you are talking to even open on week-ends? Truthfully, if you want to do more than sweep floors with these firms, I'd get some decorating experience in a furniture store. At least you can put that on your resume and you may even connect with people that work with these firms and one thing may lead to another.

• tedbixby
    5 år sedan

Doesn't the college have a Career Counselor? As that is who you should be talking to where that person can discuss the courses (not one course) that you will need to take. I'm guessing that since this is a Community College that this College is going to offer basics and for more in-depth classes you will have to go to the University.

• shirlpp
    5 år sedan

It might be best to send a letter through email or the post office detailing what you can offer for free. Letting them know that you have an electrical background and you'd be an asset to them for any electrical work they might need(in reason) and exchange for this you are seeking an apprenticeship, etc, etc...etc.., as you take your online courses.........Good Luck!

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    thank you very much
  • Allison Dawson
    5 år sedan
    I would learn CAD and then apply for an assistant position where you'll earn a wage, albeit part time / full time/ as needed. I would not work for free there is simply no need for that. Lastly, and I think this is very important. Try and work with a designer that has a similar aesthetic As you. That's where you'll get past the basics and really grow and foster your talent.
  • PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    dallison thanks for your input
  • shirlpp
    5 år sedan

There's many looking to break into the business. What is going to set you apart from them? What can you do or offer that WILL give you a second look?

Umpteenth years ago when I finished college and was looking for work as a computer programmer, it was tough. I was willing to work for free during the day to get some programming work experience and support myself with a night job. I was HUNGRY - now I can practically name my price. Sometimes doing something on a volunteer(free), basis is what's needed to get you where you want to be.

• shirlpp
    5 år sedan

If you don't like the word free or volunteer then call it as Sophie said it........ "a design flunky".

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    shirlpp have no problems with that. i work for the goverment of barbados mondays-fridays. so i those all of my private work on weekends
  • PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    i have a strong desire of becoming an interior designer by the grace of god!
  • User
    5 år sedan

Part of getting to where you want to be is speaking, looking, and acting, as if that is who you already are. But, designers don’t really work weekends. If you want to work with a designer, you are going to need to transition to a night job that leaves your days free.

Start with your Houzz profile. Your business should have an actual name, profile picture, a brief biography, and an explanation of the work that you do now, as well as your business goals. Your current profile is unprofessional.

Second, a brief bit of research indicates that the naitive language of Barbados is English. If I’m mistaken, and English is a second language for you, then take this with less emphasis.

Communication in English with other professionals and customers is a primary requirement for someone who wants to aspire to a Professional job rather than a Trade job. You can speak and write English poorly if you are an electrician, but that is not the case if you want to move forward and be either a designer or an business owner of any variety.

You need to brush up on your English skills. Take some courses in English Composition. In Speech. In fact, aspire to get at least a two year college degree that challenges you to communicate in various disciplines. It will be valuable in teaching those communication skills, and how to think on your feet.

Professionally presenting yourself is another component of moving forward to your goal. I know that electricians work in hot and dirty environments. But, transitioning to cotton khakis and a tucked polo shirt for your work uniform gives the signal that you want to be taken seriously as a business owner. It’s also not too uncomfortable to wear.

Personal grooming also comes into this. Long hair on men is fine if confined to a neat pony tail. But clean and neat, and trimmed up is required. You have to make a good first impression. Women have a bit more leeway, and are expected to potentially have a bit of an artistic flair to their appearance. A designer with a pink streak in their hair can be professional by adding a jacket to that sleeveless dress, but would never get a job if they showed up in ripped jeans and low cut shirt.

If you showed up at my old shop, in dirty jeans and a T shirt, and did not speak English well, I wouldn’t let you work for free either. You have to be able to imagine yourself on the other side of the desk. Would you want you talking with customers at that 10,000 sf house?

• shirlpp
    5 år sedan

GO FORTH!.......Follow your dream. Hopefully you've been encouraged. KIT(keep in touch)!!!

• PRO
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    ok sophie. thanks to all
  • artistsharonva
    5 år sedan

Until you get your big break, get prepared & study. Learn as much as you can on your time off by watching youtube tutorials.

Make a schedule & course goals to complete.

Architectural lighting https://youtu.be/hqT4alUaHfQ

How to draw floorplans https://youtu.be/R7YxG4nsqeg

Link to many videos lighting design

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&ei=WgYTW4iEPNCn5gKq5YDoAQ&q=youtube+tutorial+lighting+design&oq=youtubetutorial+lighting+design&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.30i10.2676.8495..10498...0....361.3344.2j7j7j1......0....1.........0j0i71j35i39j0i8i7i30j0i8i30j0i13j0i8i13i30.8yZhN%2FCEh3Y%3D

Make a portfolio with illustrations of your designs.

Learn a design program specifically for lighting designing.

I think finding a niche with your electrical background will get you in the door. Once you established with that trade, can expand into other parts of interior design. Finding something you specialize makes you valuable.

You can also research online on getting a scholarship in another country. Apply for a student visa.

Thankfully the internet is there & so much info for free to get started.

Best of blessings to your future.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.