mayly01

Need help with kitchen backsplash

May Ly
5 år sedan

I am replacing my kitchen countertop & island with white quartz and would like to install beveled 2x4 subway tiles for the backsplash. The open cabinet extension underneath the glass cabinets on the left side will be removed completely . There are 3 windows that are not framed. Here are the options I came up with. Please let me know your thoughts. Any other ideas are welcomed. Thank you!!!!

Also, the floors will be redone with a medium brown. Wall color will also change to khaki.

1. Subway tiles all the way to the ceiling and around the windows

2. Install the same countertop quartz as the backsplash about 5 inches high similar to the existing tile backsplash

3. Subway tiles up to the glass cabinet and the same height all the way around. I'm afraid this will look weird around the windows

Kommentarer (13)

• PRO
    Bourke Construction Inc.
    5 år sedan

That will look great,you cam also get weaved subway tile,which keeps the overall classic theme but gives an interesting tweak.

• leelee
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Here's what I would and wouldn't do.

I would NOT install a 5 inch back splash out of the counter material.

I would use subway tiles starting on the far left under the cabinets and moving around the kitchen to the right at the same height as under the cabinets probably 18 inches. Cap off the edges with pencil tile on spaces between the windows.

I don't think it is necessary or would enhance the look to tile around all of your windows.

Note the pencil tile and the height of the tile.

• leelee
    5 år sedan

I'm not sure the color "khaki" will do much for your kitchen. There are so many pretty colors, why a shade of brown?

And finally, what's up with the vent? I don't like the fact that the fan motor is so visible. Looks like it could really get the job done, though. Is that staying?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år sedan

can have a picture that isn't stretched? just a normal pic?

wait until the countertop is in. don't use the 4" piece.

consider doing a larger tile. 2x4 is almost a mosaic. do the 3x6 or larger, it looks better. I would do the entire wall to the ceiling.

are you doing a white subway? plain old white?

maybe a hand made look tile like these

or a carrara?

• tedbixby
    5 år sedan

New hardware for sure :)

• christalittle
    5 år sedan
    The carerra tile to ceiling would be beautiful
  • Kathryn P
    5 år sedan

Seeing as the range is on the island and the sink is backed by a huge window, I wouldn't bother with a backsplash at all. You don't seem to have any space that necessitates it, so why try to figure out the best place to start/stop. Just nix it altogether.

ETA: The angle of the three window walls means you'll have a "corner" seam running halfway between each window. Unless the tile is straight set I don't see that looking very good.

• May Ly
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Thank you for all the inputs. I really appreciate it.

Color - Khaki/brownish will be the main color throughout the house but not sure about the kitchen yet. If we don't install subway tiles all the way to the ceiling in the kitchen then will have to figure what color to use in such space. Vent - Unfortunately, it is staying for now but will change out in the future. The motor is only visible if you look from down up and not while standing.

Tiles - I thought 2x4 would be more suitable since the wall between the windows at the shortest width is 7.5 inches before the bend. With a 3x6, it will only fit 1 tile and either side will be 0.75. should I go with 3x6 then?

As for color, yes, I'm thinking plain ole white with white grout...I prefer same color grout as I dislike grout itself =)

I do like carrara, however, do not want the maintenance (maybe it wouldn't be such a hassle since it's on the wall), hence the beveled subway tiles.

Photos - sorry, this is all I have right now. We are not moved in yet and reno is beginning next week.

leelee - the picture you provided with the backsplash stops below the windows which looks fine to me. I'm just concerned that if i continue 18' all the way around the kitchen that it would look weird around the windows if the tiles will stop a little less than half way up?

• flyr4fun
    5 år sedan

Boy, that three layer vent hood really dominates everything visually. I would really consider addressing that during this renovation. I'm afraid all your beautiful finishes will be overpowered by that prominent feature. I would be tempted to go without the backsplash. I agree with leelee about the lines and the windows.

• User
    5 år sedan

This is one of my favorite kitchens. They didn't go hog-wild with the backsplash because they understood that the windows were the focus. Anything more would be over-design.

Shingle style home in Hanover NH · Mer info

Kitchen and Island looking west toward drivecourt · Mer info
    I would consider replacing the island to update the kitchen and for safety. You don't have the recommended counter space behind an island cooktop so you need a deeper island. It looks about 24" deep and is dwarfed by the hood. I hope you take the advice to replace the hood.

• shwshw
    5 år sedan

following...

• May Ly
    Författare
    5 år sedan

flyr4fun - I hear you on the vent. Will try to squeeze it in.

mayflowers - the left wall facing the kitchen is coming down and the nook area is going away. The plan is to extend the island. I've thought about keeping the the backsplash the existing height but with 2 rows of beveled subway tiles? wouldn't that look odd? Then the thought of using 5' inch of the quartz as the backsplash crossed my mind even though I dislike such look on most bathroom vanity tops. The kitchen in your picture is beautiful, but for me, I will stay away from anything that resembles the old school 4x4 that I grew up with in the bathroom AND the kitchen =) What other tiles would be ok for a minimal backsplash? Thank you!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.