alisonpeake

Bath tub tapware - freestanding vs in wall spout

marie4509
5 år sedan

We are building a new bathroom and I am overwhelmed with so many choices! We do know for sure that we are having a free-standing tub. Initially I was against the freestanding tap next to the tub, but now not so sure. This seems like a new way of filling tubs :)

What are the pros and cons of each? Any preferences out there for in-wall spout vs the free-standing versions? Recommendations on where to place them? We have two boys (6 & 8), who still like a bath every now and then, as do I :)

Thanks Houzzers.

Kommentarer (6)

• PRO
    Collaborative Interiors
    5 år sedan

Bathroom renos can be daunting as there are many things to consider and usually the space can be limiting. Free standing baths are stunning and come in many shapes and sizes. You have mentioned that you and the boys will use the bath, ensure you factor in the "users" height as this will determine the bath size and depth.

Firstly is the plumbing remaining in the same position? Floor mounted bath mixers can be installed with a concealed under floor box or the above floor connection method. The concealed box method is advisable before the flooring is installed, and has the benefit of a lower profile floor plate, which is preferred. The above floor method may be done where the first approach is not possible.

Free standing bath mixers visually create an impact when paired with the freestanding tub, ensure you have enough room around the tub as it will be difficult to clean if it sits too close to walls and or vanities etc..many freestanding bath mixers offer functional hand showers as well as the spout, ideal for washing soap out of kids hair.

Would love to see a lay out of your bathroom to assist with tap ware placement.

Good luck with your bathroom renovations, always happy to assist you.

Carmen

Collaborative Interiors

marie4509 thanked Collaborative Interiors
  • marie4509
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Thanks Carmen. We are actually pretty flexible with the floor - they are rebuilding it (on piers), so can set the level etc as we need to match the existing floor height. It is a tight room, and there are some limitations (the wall with the door is brick and cannot be adjusted). the back wall with vanity and wall next to toilet are new walls).

I am doing the tub/shower like a wet-room to save on space and contain the water as much as possible :) Looking at a tub that is 1700mm to give us 50mm around the edges. Vanity is 1800. Door opens to hide the toilet behind.

Love to know your thoughts. Thanks again.

• me me
    5 år sedan
    I like your comments on freestanding baths, Dr Retro. When I was a child in the sixties, my family had a bathroom with an old claw foot bath surrounded by three walls. I still remember my mother's excitement when we got a built in bath. No more crawling around the floor trying to clean around and under the bath! I do wonder how long it will be before people start pulling out these freestanding baths.
  • marie4509
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Thanks all. We do have flexibility around the depth of the room, so can try and increase the gap around. As it is a Wet area’ and narrow, I would prefer freestanding to give a sense of space with the shower.
    Any thoughts though on my original question around tapware?
  • PRO
    Collaborative Interiors
    5 år sedan
    Thanks for uploading the plan. If you maintain the free standing tub at 1700mm I would feel that a wall faucet will work best as free standing mixer would need to sit to the left of the tub. Don’t think you have enough space to pull off a floor mixer with these proportions. There are many wall mixers that are also stunning and can flow out like a waterfall, creating a spa like feel. Could place this on any wall around the tub.

What distance width have you allowed for the wet area shower from the tub to the glass screen?

Also the door swinging towards the toilet means you will never be able to completely open that door ensure there will be enough swing space for a partially opened door and the glass shower screen. Becomes a slight obstacle course navigating the door, screen vanity to access the toilet which will be used the most.

Thanks
    Collaborative Interiors
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.