gina4dice

Need facelift for Limestone fireplace!

Gina Fordyce
5 år sedan

Kommentarer (11)

• PRO
    Dynasty Innovations- Design, Build, Remodeling
    5 år sedan

I would recommend framing over it and installing tile on the front and a mantle. Below is an example of a finished fireplace we did as apart of a larger project.

Contemporary Complete Renovation North Center · Mer info

North Center Complete Renovation Modern Traditional · Mer info

Old Norwood Project · Mer info

Gina Fordyce thanked Dynasty Innovations- Design, Build, Remodeling
  • houssaon
    5 år sedan

I notice soot above the fire box, looks like the chimney needs cleaning. You could repaint it. Put an attractive large piece of art over the mantle, off center the clock and call it a day.

Gina Fordyce thanked houssaon
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 år sedan

Hard to say from the photos posted, but am I correct that this is an old craftsman bungalow? Looks like someone took the original FP and did something weird with those vents. I might restore it to an updated version of the original, and get some custom vent covers made in brass or stainless.

Mendota Design Gallery · Mer info

• decoenthusiaste
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Lots of DIY online for cleaning that brick. Then hang vertical art no wider than the firebox 5" above the mantel. The larger clock might work to right or left if not a plug in style.

Gina Fordyce thanked decoenthusiaste
  • everdebz
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Adding transitional items maybe? weathered finishes [this is zinc hood]

... a year ago, called 'timeless' with limestone fp.

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/zinc-range-hood-and-a-limestone-fireplace-create-a-timeless-look-stsetivw-vs~90234951[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/zinc-range-hood-and-a-limestone-fireplace-create-a-timeless-look-stsetivw-vs~90234951)

Walnut Creek Modern Mediterranean · Mer info

Gina Fordyce thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år sedan

everything is so gray. I'd bring in some color and do a nice piece of art in place of the mirror. remove the flowers and clock.

get the brick cleaned. that will help out a lot.

try replacing the mantel w/warm wood, and maybe painting the surrounding walls a different color. here is an example of dark brick, light walls and a wood mantel w/colored art. you need to bring in some items like this to brighten it up a bit.

lastly, paint the gold

Gina Fordyce thanked Beth H. :
  • Gina Fordyce
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Thanks for your input. We are in the process of purchasing this house and definitely will be cleaning the limestone. Will try some of your suggestions.

• PRO
    Julian Flooring And More
    5 år sedan
    Here's an idea.
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    5 år sedan

Hi Gina4Dice - the best product for getting the smoke stains off your mantel is called Paint "N" Peel. You put it on thick, and peel the smoke off when it is dry.

The smoke stain is an indication that the fireplace isn't drawing properly, so it would be smart to talk to a chimney professional about it. In some states it is mandatory that a Level 2 NFPA fireplace and chimney inspection be performed when property changes hands, in which case there should be some helpful information on the report. If it isn't required, you might still want to contact a certified/qualified person to check it out: http://www.csia.org/ 

Try to resist the urge to do anything drastic to that fireplace right away. They don't do stone work like that any more. It might look better with your furniture and decor than you expect.

Gina Fordyce thanked COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 år sedan

It looks like a fireplace with heating vents so installing anything on that fireplace will be a bit of a hassle. I would leave it , clean it, get the chimney cleaned and then see what you like when you are in there for a bit. I actually like it.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.