carpet12burn

Fireplace is in middle of room. What to do with the huge blank wall of

Ann Odell
5 år sedan
Should I paint the back side of fireplace with an accent color, if so, what color? My painter said I should paint it a really dark color to make it stand out. The room around the fireplace ended up much darker than the paint swatch for SW Believable Buff. It ended up a little too gold looking but I really can’t afford to have the painter repaint it all. The back of the fireplace is the first thing you see when you enter the house. Would a sea grass wallpaper be a good texture to put on that wall instead of paint or some kind of other texture material?

Kommentarer (29)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år sedan
    Is that a staircase going down? Does that wall go from ceiling all the way down staircase? What furniture ate you placing in the living room?
  • Ann Odell
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Yes. There is a stairway that leads downstairs. I still have not pick a stair rail yet. Not sure what to do there either. I am hoping to put a multi pendent chandelier to hang part way down over the stairs. The ceiling is about 15ft there. The isn’t really any furniture that will be between the front door and that wall. Dining table will be on one side (narrow side of fireplace wall) towards the great room. Did that make sense, lol!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år sedan
    Kind of. Yes a tall narrow chandelier would be great there. I would select that first then pick good color for back drop. With the SW Believable Buff a dark blue might work great. Gold or silvers would work well with that combo. Several good dark blues.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år sedan
    Here are some ideas.
  • Ann Odell
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Thank you. I thought maybe a dark blue would be nice but I always second guess myself. Would a dark navy blue sea grass wall paper look better than paint or is wallpaper out of style?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

IMO the issue with grasscloth is the seams and I'm not sure you can get runs long enough to cover your wall from top to bottom.

The color you select will wrap around to the fireplace side and I'm not sure dark blue works with your stone finish.

Why didn't you just run the stone up the wall and completely around this feature? that would be great.

• Ann Odell
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Thank you. What wonderful ideas. This certainly was the right place to come with my dilemma. Would you suggest the stairway rail that will have to go in front at the bottom of that wall be vertical or horizontal?
  • Ann Odell
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    The picture shows the concrete block around the fireplace. It is not very clear in that photo, sorry about that. It will have creme marfil marble over the block and a walnut stain wood mantel.
  • Ann Odell
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    I would have liked stone on the whole feature but my contractor quoted a $10,000 price tag on it. That was not quite in my budget. So I switched to the marble just around the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år sedan
    Here is rough mock up with dark wall and white Capris chandelier. You will need a chain hanging chandelier due to angled ceiling or one meant for angled ceiling. Not sure if what style you are going for but i put a cable style railing for open look.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år sedan
    Chandy
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år sedan
    Railing cable style system.
  • Ann Odell
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    That looks amazing. Here are some chandeliers I have been looking at on line. But maybe one single vertical chandelier would look better.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år sedan
    The problem with those is the ceiling plate you need on a slanted ceiling. Some can work and i have used that style. You can go to a lighting store and talk to a rep about your spot and ceiling and you can design a look you like.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

I don't see any way you can select any light fixture that has a large canopy given the small platform for mounting at the ceiling. Additionally, it appears to only be a few inches out from the wall. What fixture was on that wall before?

• User
    5 år sedan
    I would have it panelled as Beverly suggested but place a tall slim sconce in the middle of the wall
  • Ann Odell
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    There use to be walls around the stairs with a closet. So the lighting for the stairway was on one of those walls. We decided to open that area up by removing those walls. I will speak to someone at the lighting store and my electrician. Thank you all for your quick and very helpful responses. My stress level is starting to come down. This whole house renovation has been a nightmare. Our contractor took on a huge resort job right after we signed our contract with him and we never see him . We only have 2 guys working plus subs. The contractor stopped paying the subs so they were not coming back to finish up the job. We finally started paying the subs ourselves to keep the work going. We have been out of our house for a year now and will probably be out for another 3 months. We are talking to other contractors but everyone is booked up until next summer. It is very upsetting. Thanks again for your suggestions. I really appreciate them.
  • jbtanyderi
    5 år sedan
    The sea grass texture would be a good addition.
  • silviakunst
    5 år sedan
    I would paint it black !!!!! Black really goes away ...less noticeable ...and is a dramatic entrance ...you can put a mirror on it and a table ...or leave it white with a large painting or a collection ( grouping ) of black and white photos in a normal black photo frame . And a table ...or a seating of two chairs with a little table . Once you use a color like brown or God forbid blue ....you are really stuck ...black and white are timeless ...and always work ...for the long run !
  • PRO
    Furniture Re-born
    5 år sedan

I would hang a large scale piece of art work.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 år sedan

• PRO
    V.E. THOMAN
    5 år sedan

Hi,

Why don't you have the wall upholstered in a fabric? Make a statement, like an art wall. There are beautiful contemporary fabrics with all kinds of fun design.

• Ann Odell
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Interesting idea about fabric, I appreciate your suggestion.
  • Ann Odell
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    All good ideas for my wall. Turns out the electric box on the ceiling is 18” from the wall. The picture is deceiving. So I could put a chandelier up as long as it is not too wide. But the electrician said The problem isn’t the size of the fixture , it’s the size of the canopy part that attaches to the electric box., it is too big. There is a magnetic low voltage transformer there that takes up a lot of room. He said I need to find one of those fixtures in “ line voltage “.
  • felizlady
    5 år sedan
    Painting the back of the fireplace a dark color would only make it more massive. Leave it light-colored and hang a large painting on it after you have the stair railing installed.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 år sedan
    lots of led options. Here are a couple. Something sculptural would look great. Something like these against a dark wall would be beautiful. Btw, dark colors “recede” visually so dark on that wall would be great.
  • Lesli Vance
    förra året

What did you decide about the wall with the fireplace in it? And also what use of your floor spaces did you create?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.