houzzuk

Industrial Style – What Image Pops Up First?

HouzzUK
5 år sedan

The raw appeal of industrial style is now making its way into all kinds of homes in all manner of ways. As we create our own interpretations of this look – 'Industrial Bohemian', 'Warm Industrial', 'Rustic Industrial' for instance – the definition of what makes industrial style seems to have somewhat broadened!

My Houzz: International Meets Industrial in a Brooklyn Loft · Mer info

We'd love to know, what image, be it a product or room scheme, springs (there's one!) to mind when you think of this look? Here's some inspiration – tell us in the Comments!

Kommentarer (30)

• E D
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

A factory.

:-)

• Ribena Drinker
    5 år sedan

E D - Lol!

• Patrina
    5 år sedan
    E D what a breath of fresh air you are on here :-)
  • rachelmidlands
    5 år sedan
    Lunch atop a skyscraper (photo) always reminds me of the industrial look. But lets not forget the original inhabitants of the industrial past, besides the marvelous machines and raw materials used, the workers (including child labor) living in a time of poverty and chronic illnesses with little or no healthcare are what made the industrial revolution.
  • Emily
    5 år sedan
    They do say necessity is the mother of invention. And being reminded of the spirit of inventiveness is part of why I like the industrial style. Another reason is that it seems “honest” since technology wasn’t so advanced that you couldn’t see how it was made or how it worked, and the materials were more often natural.
  • PRO
    Couch Potato Company
    5 år sedan

Definitely images from Fritz Hansen. They have a great art direction team and tend to opt for Industrial styled interiors for their photo shoots. Because a lot of their furniture features very curved, organic designs, I think the contrasting backdrops look great. Their styling has certainly inspired my own choices when I was choosing pieces for my flat in a 1900s warehouse conversion. Have a look at these fantastic images:

Arne Jacobsen Oksen Chair and Ottoman

Jaime Hayon Fri Chair | Kaiser Idell 6556-F Floor Lamp

Jaime Hayon Favn Sofa | Arne Jacobsen Swan Chair |Kaiser Idell 6556-F Floor Lamp

Jaime Hayon Fri Chair | Little Friend Side Table | Kaiser Idell 6556-T Table Lamp

Arne Jacobsen Series 7 Chair in Monochrome Trieste Blue | Super Elliptical Dining Table | Jaime Hayon Fri Chair

• E D
    5 år sedan

Patrina, Thank you! You made me blush a little... :)

Actually, I've always quite liked elements of the industrial look.

We've had some in our homes since the '80s.

A couple of lamps we bought then still take pride of place and, in my view, their look hasn't really dated.

I am not generally a big fan of a themed interior though. It can look a tad contrived and staged.

• Resistance
    5 år sedan
    pipes
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 år sedan

I remember going into converted factory apartments in Manchester in the 1990s and being amazed by the exposed girders, brick walls and huge doors, the materials seemed to suit the scale of the space. Never heard of 'Rustic Industrial' though, not sure how that works!

• Bry R
    5 år sedan

Oversized factory pendants with slightly rusted bulb grills. Concrete with aggregates. Exposed pipework. Seeing the bones of the building. Sunlight streaming in through large Crittal windows. Scratched stainless steel work surfaces. Meat hooks. Thick glossy paint. Sturdy cast iron radiators. Repurposed scaffolding planks. Grey metal toggle light switch boxes. Brickwork. Everything worn from repeated use.

• PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    5 år sedan

Exposed plumbing, concrete, copper. We love the industrial look and how effective unfinished walls, floor and not hiding the pipework can look.

• PRO
    The Homeworks
    5 år sedan
    Exposed brickwork, leather furniture, metal accessories and oversized lighting!
  • soozmacrae
    5 år sedan

very masculine, lack of fluff!. I love the steampunk look in bathrooms though!

• PRO
    Matthews Architectural Projects
    5 år sedan

I really like the Lingotto Factory in Turin.

• Carrol Jordaan-Heffernan
    5 år sedan
    the pipes are disturbing. it looks incomplete.
  • PRO
    Silk and Stone Interior Design
    5 år sedan
    I like the pipes in this room - very much in keeping with the metal windows frames.
  • Chris Goodchild
    5 år sedan

Industrial usually makes me think of the New York warehouse apartments you see in films.

I like furniture made with iron gas barrel and rough textured timber, angle iron or cast iron frames.

I had a chair made from a large iron handwheel on a thread for height adjustment, unfortunately a friend talked me out of it and now I am looking for the bits to make another. I also like mezzanine beds made from steel or aluminium scaffolding, I have made two in the past and would love an opportunity to make .

• rinked
    5 år sedan

When we gutted our home, removed the stinky plaster and softboard ceilings, it looked "industrial" to some. For us it was "unfinished".

Now it's a whole style and can be pretty amazing when done right in the right home (which means hardly any home). I do like small industrial features though, but not in my tiny 1950s terraced home.

• joehursey
    4 år sedan

We used this company www.modularscreens.co.uk for a vintage industrial steel Crittall style door, there really beautiful and reasonably priced :)

Vintage Industrial glazed steel doors · Mer info

• normairedale
    4 år sedan
    I can't get past the ugliness of Industrial. It reminds me of my '50's childhood home. We were fortunate enough to have a bathroom but the stone floor , exposed bathtub and pipes , hard toilet paper and carbolic soap are hard to forget. Sorry my aesthetic responses are so affected by childhood trauma.
  • R Hughes
    4 år sedan
    For me its a very busy space and doesn’t look very comfortable but then its not a design look I particularly like! Sorry.
  • PRO
    Brandler London
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

We have carried out a number of projects in converted warehouses, including one for Tom Daly. What I really like is the way that biophilia (the love of nature) is being brought into these designs incorporating thought for the environment and sustainability. The use of reclaimed materials, such as our reclaimed barn wood, works well and often gives dramatic aesthetics!

Penthouse Kitchen in Southwark Warehouse Conversion · Mer info

Open Plan Kitchen in Warehouse Conversion · Mer info

Tom Daley's Bespoke Wardrobes · Mer info

• Chris Goodchild
    4 år sedan

@ Brandler London, fantastic work, very well done, I love working with reclaimed materials , something that's good for the environment and produces a finish that is difficult to achieve any other way. The aging process along with years of wear and patina is quite special to me and involves a different way of thinking to use such materials well.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 år sedan

@ Chris Goodchild - Thanks for the comments Chris... we find the barns that have the deep texture and richness of colour that we are looking for in Europe. Once we have found what we are looking for we then carefully dismantle the barn and ship the materials back to our stores in the UK.

It is a labour of love and we really enjoy what we are doing and finding new ways in which to use the material. Funny to think that in the recent past these old buildings would have been demolished and the materials burned to make way for some brick monstrosity! :-)

• PRO
    Feature Radiators
    4 år sedan

I think of our Yorkshire mills when I hear "industrial" so for me it's bare metal against stone/brick walls.

Radiators in industrial spaces · Mer info

Or for a more modern "industrial" vibe I think copper and concrete

Radiators in industrial spaces · Mer info

• PRO
    Hampstead Design Hub
    4 år sedan

Hi there! When we designed our studio we thought about cosy industrial. This images came to my mind

Hampstead Design Hub · Mer info

• Rosie B
    4 år sedan

Contrived.

• vellapj1611
    4 år sedan

the uncovered raw roof

• PRO
    Warrington + Rose
    4 år sedan

Hi there,

If You like industrial look, check our portfolio at www.warringtonandrose.co.uk perhaps you can find some inspiration there... don't hesitate and give us a call to discuss your project.

Tracey and Chris Derbyshire · Mer info

Concrete on Singer sewing machine base · Mer info

Concrete worktops Sheffield · Mer info

Bespoke sinks · Mer info

Claire and Garath · Mer info

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.