keswing

Colour scheme advice for open plan area

keswing
5 år sedan
senast redigerad:5 år sedan

Please help me stop looking at colour charts! Our kitchen, living and dining room extension has finally been built and now i'm hesitating about what colours to choose in case the lovely space we've had created is ruined by me making bad colour choices.

We've painted most walls Dulux Egyptian Cotton but want/need to add some colour as it’s looking very boring. In the living space with the roof light we’re thinking of having a dark brown on the wall with the two picture windows and either the same or another colour brown on the wall in the dining area which is currently painted mustard. We envision this wall will have floating oak shelves above a sideboard. Overall will this look too matchy? I’d like to add in a dirty mustard colour somewhere too but don’t know whether to introduce it as a wall colour or through accessories.

We like the fabric below and have been trying to use it as a basis for creating a colour scheme but in reality it’s proving tricky..

The kitchen units are a basalt brown/grey and the kitchen island is mocha. We're having Quick Step Picnic Ochre LVT flooring throughout. We also plan on having black and walnut pendant lights over the island and dark wood bar stools. We be using our existing reddish/brown leather sofa but other than that will need to buy new dining table, chairs etc.

I’ve attached pictures of the space and images we like below but have also created an ideas book called ‘The open plan colour scheme dilemma’.

I feel a huge pressure to get this right as so any advice would be great.

The Open plan colour scheme dilemma · Mer info

(189) Pinterest · Mer info

nordlux lighting black and walnut - Google Search · Mer info

Private commission · Mer info

(189) Pinterest · Mer info

PUCL40093 | Picnic oak ochre | Quick-Step.co.uk · Mer info

Kommentarer (26)

• Ellie
    5 år sedan
    I am confused, which walls are Egyptian cotton, which is a grey shade? You have browns/mocha - I don't think browns and greys mix well.
  • keswing
    Författare
    5 år sedan

At the moment all the walls other than the mustard wall have been painted Egyptian Cotton. The pictures are a few days out of date so don't show this. I wasn't too sure on EC either but the other half likes it so we have to try and make it work somehow, or i have to have a good argument/scheme to convince him to re paint!

• Ellie
    5 år sedan
    Sorry, got my colours mixed up, it is Chic Shadow that I have it in my lounge!
    keswing thanked Ellie
  • PRO
    Design Spec Ltd
    5 år sedan

Hi all,

Some great images! We would always recommend keeping the amount of colours to 3 where possible, then picking one strong dominant colour within these 3 colours.

Let us know which colours you choose!

Design Spec Ltd.

keswing thanked Design Spec Ltd
  • keswing
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Colourhappy, I’d describe our style as modern, we like the conran habitat look. We’re keen to create a modern space that’s not too clinical and feel inviting and contemporary. Hope that makes sense!!

The colour of the mustard wall is currently valspar sun vista valley but we’re thinking of covering with attic II or silt from little greene or possibly valspar autumn bark (this is where we’re getting lost!). we know we want to add colour - browns, mustards, or khaki but we don’t know where and in what combination so that it all works together cohesively.

Here’s a picture of the flooring in situ plus some updated pics and colour options!
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 år sedan
    That’s a lovely kitchen, mine is similar style only dark and light grey so I went with white walls, saying that I’m now going to make the two smaller opposing walls dark grey feature walls as it a bit endless and lasts a depth if that make sense, still love the white and have added colour withe the dining chairs, pics and a large clock (in mustard) :-)
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 år sedan
    Sorry I’ve no pics of the clock but found this one, I got the large one in this colour, just showing there’s moe ways of adding colour than just paint :-)
    keswing thanked Anthony (Beano)
  • Sonia
    5 år sedan
    Lovely kitchen. Love the fabric swatch, will this be used as blinds or curtains? That pic of the dark mocha wall (or is it grey?) with all that wooden shelving is fantastic! Definitely copy that. I think mustard is a great colour to add in accessories such as Beano’s clock, but I’m not sure about a whole wall of it. Flooring is lovely. Egyptian Cotton is a nice neutral (I have it in my bedroom) but your idea of a darker mocha wall(s) at either sounds good. Don’t forget the artwork!
  • keswing
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Beano, I like the clock can I ask where it’s from? Did you go mustard chairs as well?

Forzaitalia , I’m not sure what we’ll do with the fabric, I just love the colour combo and have been using it as a colour guide and taking it everywhere with me!! I don’t have much of it so it might end up as cushion covers, napkins or maybe a beanbag for my son.

Sounds like we’re not off mark with dark brown and a mustard of some kind then?

• Sonia
    5 år sedan
    Sounds good keswing.
    keswing thanked Sonia
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 år sedan
    Hi again, the clock is made by diamantini & domeniconi and it’s called Mozia, I’ve had a look and the clock could be actually discontinued now sadly as I’m finding it had to find, I’ve the 65cm one! Took a pic for you :-)

I went for orange chairs and white table, was using them anyway as passed from my mum and are about 45yrs old!
  • keswing
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Those chairs are fantastic!

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 år sedan
    Thank you very much, my mum has a bit of taste about her! Lol she actually told me that I’d been rhyming on at her since I was about 9 that I wanted them for my house when I got one :-)
  • emiloujohnston
    5 år sedan
    Love what you’re doing here. Especially like the colour of kitchen units contrasting with darker island. Something I hope to recreate with kitchen extension next year. I’m also hoping to incorporate pops of yellow and orange. So that fabric is brilliant inspiration! Do you know what it is? I’d love to get some so to help plan our new extension...
  • keswing
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    I’ve had the fabric about 10 years! I bought it from Ikea so not sure they’ll still have it. I love the combination of colours to me they’re moody and fresh, if that is possible! Good luck with your future extension.
  • jessica_113
    5 år sedan
    Hi, this is going to be a great space! I really like your theme of brown/mustard/khaki, it's going to be so warm and contemporary. What about painting the wall with the two windows in your living space a rich ochre/mustard and repeating it on the opposite wall. There isn't a great expanse here as you have the walkway to the kitchen but it will reflect beautifully. With those big glass doors and roof light you can afford to go darker. The current mustard wall in the dining area, you could go for a fun, bold wallpaper with complimentary colours. It'll all tie in effectively but you'll have defined areas. Keep the remaining walls as they are and add accessories to bring the whole extension together. Take a look at these wallpapers for inspiration https://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/harlequin/kienze/151176, https://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/harlequin/doyenne/136853
    Good luck and enjoy it, this is the fun bit!
    keswing thanked jessica_113
  • Sonia
    5 år sedan
    Keswig I saw this sweet vase in my local trendy coffee shop/accessories store this morning and thought it would look lovely in your kitchen! What do you think?
    keswing thanked Sonia
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 år sedan

I love what you are doing and I like the wall colour you have chosen, it looks mellow. What is your plan for chairs? It would look great with a set of six chairs in earthy mustards, browns and dull reds.

keswing thanked Juliet Docherty
  • keswing
    Författare
    5 år sedan

Thanks everyone, i'm starting to feel excited about the painting now that it seems we're heading in the right direction with our colour palette, I was very nervous before thinking i was about to make a terrible mistake. Your lovely comments have been very encouraging, thank you.

Actually, I maybe getting over confident as I've just bought Valspar's Fire Within - it's a bright orange and will be going on the back wall of the study, the other walls will be Egyptian cotton. I read somewhere orange is energising and inspiring so i'm hoping it will motivate my son to do his homework as he gets older!

We've not decided on furniture yet, we thought we would wait until we had moved back in and see how the space feels and also had time to save up. Until then we will have to make do.

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 år sedan
    Lol, orange! Go for it, my fav colour for a bit of a statement or feature, I’ve an orange armchair coming for my livingroom shortly, can’t wait :-) looking foward to seeing your kitchen as it progresses and don’t worry about colours too much as you can always paint over them! Be brave and go for what you want :-)
  • keswing
    Författare
    5 år sedan

So I painted the study orange, it's a bit more citrussy than I hoped but for now it is staying as there's too much else we need to be getting on with. I've also painted the living room wall a dark brown which I love. The original mustard wall in the dining room has been refreshed, although I'm not totally convinced its right, I'm wondering whether I should extend onto the chimney breast part as well or indeed whether its the right colour? I think I need to wait until the floor is fitted next week, what do you think?

I'm going to post another question regarding my WC. Having started to add colour to the house this room is feeling a bit dull, but at the same time I don't want to over do it so will be looking for some advice :)

• Jonathan
    5 år sedan
    Loving your earthy colours. I wonder it’ll there is space for any olive green or muted reds in soft furnishings or accents. The pictures show Farrow and Ball Bancha and Eating Room Red
    keswing thanked Jonathan
  • Carolina
    5 år sedan

Commenting just to keep updated. Love everything so far :-)

keswing thanked Carolina
  • keswing
    Författare
    5 år sedan

I love the olive green I'll look around and see what accessories I can find. I'm really impatient for the floor to be laid and the sofa returned so I can start to think about how to bring it altogether.

Coincidently, I have a fab vintage Beswick coffee set in Olive green which I wanted to have out but unfortunately the other half hates it, so its been banished to a cupboard :(

On the plus side, our leather sofa, which is currently in storage, is a reddish brown (but not quite as red as in the picture below) so I'm hoping that is going to work!

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 år sedan
    I love the feature walls, esp the orange :-) my fav colour, great to see you went for it, as I say, you can always paint it again if you don’t like it, really really nice.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.