kel_234

Retaining wall plant ideas

Kel
5 år sedan
Would love some suggestions about which plants to put in the retaining wall in our courtyard. It’s quite long (about 6m) so I think just one plant will be quite boring.
There are a few things we’d like:
Low maintenance, shallow root system, nice lush green look is what we’re going for.
We thought of doing a Korean box and planting 3-4 small trees that wouldn’t get higher than ~4m and that doesn’t encroach on the living space as the area is only small...any ideas?
Or even vibernum at the back (would like it to get to 1.5-2m) and then another smaller plant at the front...but I’m not sure what.
Any ideas/suggestions welcome. Thanks :)

Ps there’s still work to be done like painting the retaining wall and back wall.

Kommentarer (13)

• Renai Habets
    5 år sedan
    how much sun does it get? do you like flowers or just green? i love a camellia or magnolia hedge.. or the yellow native hibiscus that i can never remember the name of
  • PRO
    OnlineWaterproofingShop
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Great comments and suggestions people

Have you considered how your going to protect the fence, retaining wall from the effects of water?

By waterproofing the wall you will give a greater service life to the fence and the small wall in the foreground

• Kath
    5 år sedan

As Renai said, which way does the wall face? Also, where do you live as the climate is very important in selecting plants?

• KK1000
    5 år sedan
    I think you need to waterproof your fence and the retaining wall and make sure there is good drainage before you do anything. As far as plants go I would go for good old fashioned Murraya peniculata . It’s reasonably fast growing, flowers few times a year and it’s easy maintenance , it grows up to 3m tall and pruning is a piece of cake.
  • KK1000
    5 år sedan
    Here are some photos of Murraya , you will need about 10 plants for your area
  • Kel
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions. We do plan on waterproofing :)
    I’m in Perth and the area gets probably about 6-7 hours of full morning sun and then part sun in the afternoon.
    The Murraya peniculata looks nice, does it have a nice smell? Could I put a smaller plant or hedge in front of it? And how often does it need to be watered?
    Another idea was to put star jasmine on a trellis and a smaller box hedge in front. Or those plants that look like a hedge ball (if that makes sense haha). Thanks again :)
  • Kel
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Does star jasmine need a lot of maintenance?
  • Kel
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    Like this
  • KK1000
    5 år sedan
    Murraya has a very nice perfume when in flower, my hedges are in the garden soil so almost never water, they’re very hardy. In planter boxes you may have to do it once a week but you can install dripping hose and attach a timer to it so you don’t have to worry about it. Star Jasmine needs more fiddling with it , as it grows it must be attached to trellis and trimmed regularly to keep in shape while the shrub varieties need pruning 2-3 times a year.
  • KK1000
    5 år sedan
    Weather you can plant smaller plants in front depends on how wide your planter is but judging from your photo I don’t think so, and it’s not necessary, less work is my motto.
  • Deb Chapman
    5 år sedan

why not op for an outdoor Mural my friend had one spanning 4 m with potted flowering as well as palms. Saves moisture issues cracked walls later on. Why not put timber slats across the entire wall you wont be sorry & use potted plants to decorate?

• julie herbert
    5 år sedan
    Hi Kel, the pittosporum ‘golf ball’ is a fabulous plant, has a rounded shape that needs minimal trimming or none at all, makes a fab hedge and the foliage and colour is gorgeous, it highlights other plants , would look great in front of Murraya (divine perfume) or Magnolias or if you want to get creative Star Jasmine trained on a wire as per your photo would look stunning and smell gorgeous too.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.