ahren_osterbrink

height for top of vessel sink in bathroom?

ahreno
5 år sedan
I'm building my own vanity for my master bathroom. it will have tow 6" (most likely) vessel sinks on it. I'm finding varied results when googling. what height would you recommend the top of the counter bee? currently it's 36" but I could chop the legs a little.

of course, I'm 6'6" and my partner is closer to 5'4"ish

Kommentarer (13)

• PRO
    NewWest design studio, llc
    5 år sedan

For a shared bathroom vanity, I recommend the top of the counter (or in this case the top of the sinks) to be 36" above the finish floor. You may want to consider standard or undermount sinks on a master vanity, which would give you more usable counter space. Good luck with your project!

• K R
    5 år sedan
    My hubby is 6’5” and I’m 5’3” and we went with 36”. I can reach fine.
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 år sedan

We went with 36" with 2 vessel sinks, our designer did ask us if we wanted to go to shorter, we said no..

• ahreno
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    36" to top of counter or top of vessel sink?
  • PRO
    User
    5 år sedan

The rim of the sink should be at 36”, not the counter. If you do a 36” counter and put a 6” sink on that, the rim is at 42”. Your arms will be angled upwards, and water will run down to your elbows and drip onto the floor when you use it.

An undermount sink on a 36”H vanity gives you better ergonomics for multiple height individuals, easier cleaning with fewer obstacles, and far less water splashed around. Many people who bought into the vessel idea realize that, and that’s one of the reasons that it is being done with much less frequency than 7-8 years ago.

• suzanne_m
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

If your partner thinks that she may need to get close to the mirror for some reason (for me, I need to when I apply mascara), I would recommend she does this test: put a bowl on the 36" counter top and have your partner get closer to the mirror. Does her breast touch the bowl? It may not be a problem for her but I am 5'2" and it was a problem for me. I had that experience in my brother's newly renovated bathroom. It is very annoying to get our shirt wet when touching the edge of the vessel. I know this may sound funny but it is a reality for short people.

• ahreno
    Författare
    5 år sedan

thanks for all the insight.

so one issue I have is I can't use an undermount. I'm on a limited budget. I lost a years worth of income two years ago in the northern California wild fires and I just lost this year's income due to my partners rental burning down with our product in it.

I have the counter top for the vanity already and it's only 1/2" papetstone. little thinner than ideal but it looks slick and will work fine but there isn't enough meat for me to undermount a sink.

what about doing a drop in style? would that be better than a vessel?

• suzanne_m
    5 år sedan

Yes.

• iamtiramisu
    5 år sedan
    A drop in would be far better than a vessel. The previous owners of our home put in vessel sinks in the master and powder and I loathe them. I cannot wait to get rid of them. As Jan said, they are a giant PITA.
  • PRO
    User
    5 år sedan

You can get prefabricated under mount quartz vanity tops for very little.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Bestview-37-in-Carrara-White-Quartz-Bathroom-Vanity-Top/1000330839 

Paperstone needs a built up edge and sink reveal both. You’ll need extra material. It’s just like Corian. You can solvent weld an acrylic sink to it, just like Corian.

• ahreno
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    thank you. I understand coming here as a owner builder puts me in a minority vs all the professional builders/designers/installers etc. I've bee able to build, almost by myself a pretty nice 2700sqft home for about the same cost as I would have paid for a 1000sqft done by a builder.

with these damn fire loses though, a $350 counter with sinks, while I know it's in the affordable range, for me it's not currently (besides the fact my master vanity is 60").

in my kids/guest bathroom I did the same papetstone (I got a 50"*72" factory second (supposedly has a minor warp that I can't find) for like $100). papetstone said only 30% of people do the edge build up so I said screw it.

honestly, I'm in a scramble. I need to get a few last projects (master bathroom, closet and pantry) for affordable but still turn out nice... then I can get my mortgage finalized to pay off the owner carry note due in a couple months.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

Just another reason beyond Nancy Pelosi to hate California : ) Feel your pain. !!!! Watch for the mud. : (

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.