glover_hayley

How to blend new with old flooring

Hayley
5 år sedan

Hello! We are renovating an older style cottage home. The rear of the house is being rebuilt with kitchen dining and family bathroom. I would appreciate some ideas on flooring for the area, eg, tiles, laminate? The older part of the house has a lighter wooden floors in the bedrooms (eg, cypress?) and a darker hallway (maybe jarrah?). Thanks

Kommentarer (5)

• Houzz-ID: 213881184
    5 år sedan

I would definately suggest Vinyl Tiles for the bathroom and maybe Vinyl Hybrid Wood Planks for the other areas. Both suggested floors are waterproof so will go well in those areas.

Hayley thanked Houzz-ID: 213881184
  • PRO
    Michael Bell Architects Pty Ltd
    5 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 5 år sedan

If you could go black you can stain the floor with Japan black, per the attached, which has a mixture of species and flooring directions. All the best Michael

Hayley thanked Michael Bell Architects Pty Ltd
  • robandlyn
    5 år sedan

I would steer well clear of any vinyl products - and I'm speaking from experience. Unless the subfloor is absolutely perfect. We chose a luxury vinyl wood-look planking for our kitchen and entrance area, but after a few months every tiny imperfection in the subfloor showed through.After a couple of years it looked so awful we replaced with an excellent quality laminate that we are thrilled with. I would only ever consider vinyl planking in a new build.

Hayley thanked robandlyn
  • PRO
    Budget Floor Sanding Brisbane
    5 år sedan

Hi Hayle,

When renovating and extending your home, it is a good idea to try and stay with your existing flooring product. If you introduce too many products your home starts to look ity bity, and lack continuity. Continue the flooring in your extension with new timber floors. Sand back your existing floors and stain all the old and new timber floors the same colour. Your renovation will look more contemporary and spacious with the one flooring throughout. Tile the bathroom for elegance and practicality. If you do choose a vinyl plank make sure you purchase extra for the future for damage and more renovations, as they may not stock that product in a couple of years time and you will not be able to match it. For inspiration on staining our website may offer some inspiration. Good luck

https://budgetfloorsanding.com.au/floor-sanding-information/sanding-and-staining-a-hoop-pine-floor/

Hayley thanked Budget Floor Sanding Brisbane
  • Souzette Lovell
    4 år sedan

Hi my main bit of advice is don't cut off the old floor at exactly the door line - if there is a way try and extend it around 300mm (or to a logical place) into the new room. Im applying this to a change of flooring where there is an alcove near the door, so I'm not sure how this will work if the door opens into a wide wall.....

Hayley thanked Souzette Lovell
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.