staceyharper22

Screening ideas for ugly wall please?

Stacey H-J
4 år sedan
Hi all, my husband and I bought our renovation project (our home) 7 years ago - amongst all the major works we’ve undertaken, one area that we’d now like to concentrate on is our courtyard area. We’re finding it tricky to find an idea suitable (and cost effective) to screen the large wall you can see in the photo. The back wall isn’t our wall (the other 2 walls are) so we are restricted somewhat as to what we can actually do with it. The hot tub will be moving to the rear garden this summer so this area will be a cosy seating area (joy!). We already have string lighting overhead and there is a retractable canopy too. The large window will be replaced and we’re thinking with cedar cladding added to the surrounding area of that wall? Thank you in advance, Stacey.

Kommentarer (7)

• Sonia
    4 år sedan

Plants would really improve the look as shjuly has shown. I actually don’t find the wall ugly, just a bit plain. There are some great planters around with trellis attached, so you don’t have to drill into their wall. They will need watering often. I think climbers scrambling up the trellis would be great, things like honeysuckle, star jasmine, ceanothus, Clematis and Roses. They also smell divine and create a romantic cottage garden feel. I see from other parts of the garden that you may well like that romantic look!

If there is space in front of the wall, then planting them in the ground is even better, and the trellis will need to be attached to posts, rather like a fence. You won’t have to water so often. You could of course paint the wall, say grey, sage or country cream, but it will still need plants to soften the look. Here’s a few ideas

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    4 år sedan
    I just literally saw this on Instagram and thought it would be useful for you.
  • Mary Mary
    4 år sedan
    We have a very large wall which belongs to our neighbour so we were not able to attach any structures this was our very cheap solution
  • PRO
    FITZROVIA INTERIORS
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

A vertical garden would look amazing, everyone else’s ideas are great.. definitely greenery on a Vertical.

• Stacey H-J
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    Thank you for taking the time to post everyone, there are some great ideas here! I do love a brick wall, although what makes this ‘ugly’ is the fact that the previous owners came onto our property to paint it (their choice). They cut in with a shade of cream then put their house up for sale without finishing the painting so now it’s been left patchy with lots of wires, pipes and central heating vents poking out of it. The new owners are not interested in doing anything to it but have said we can ‘do what we like with it’. The wall is actually the full side of their house which is a large - so the idea of painting it is one we hoped to avoid - although I really like the grey painted brick image (I’m not sure the ‘do what you like’ would extend to this) - it’s worth a shot to ask though! Greenery and lighting are definitely the way forward! I had thought of greenery (you’ll see the bamboo poking out the top of the hot tub, although a bit small) and outdoor mirrors to reflect light. Thanks again all
  • PRO
    Harrod Horticultural
    4 år sedan

Planters with built in support frames or obelisks would look great here to disguise the wall with planting without securing anything to the wal

Harrod Trellis Growing Frames 25mm Square Posts ARC-689 · Mer info

Harrod Obelisk Planter MRB-011 · Mer info

Bespoke Espalier Style Fence Frames ARC-175 · Mer info

Harrod Trellis Growing Frames 25mm Square Posts ARC-689 · Mer info

Harrod Horticultural

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.