stefanie_pistulka

weird wall between kitchen and living room

NeDak
4 år sedan
We are planning a kitchen remodel and I think the one things that keeps me from absolutely loving any design is this stupid wall between the living room and kitchen.
Does anyone have an idea on what I could do to make it better or how to remove completely?
Yes it’s load bearing. And yes I have hired a profession kitchen designer.
I just wanted to ask here first to see if anyone had a similar issue and what their solution was.

Kommentarer (12)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 år sedan

You will need to consult with a structural engineer, but my first instinct is to remove the drywall and just expose the header crossbeam. (I'm assuming it looks like the other exposed beams.) The real question is whether or not you need the wing walls on either side of the opening. If not, get rid of them and just have it be one open space.

NeDak thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Bri Bosh
    4 år sedan

Could you remove the drywall and wrap the beam in wood like the beams on your ceiling? Something like this...

• highdesertowl
    4 år sedan

What Bri Bosh said. Remove the drywall from the overhead beam and side posts. They are most likely glulam structural timbers of some kind. They can possibly be sanded and refinished as is (google for images)--or clad to look like the other beams in the home.

• PRO
    NeDak
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    I wish I could take the wall completely out without leaving the supports. No idea why someone wood build a half wall. Lol. I think the space above drives me more crazy than the wall itself. I just don’t get it
  • Elaine Ricci
    4 år sedan
    Not a pro, but it seems to me that the middle piece of that wall is what looks wrong. Consult a structural engineer to determine whether it's necessary.
    NeDak thanked Elaine Ricci
  • Susan Murin
    4 år sedan
    I would fill it in, as is standard. It will look fine.
    NeDak thanked Susan Murin
  • suzyq53
    4 år sedan

It looks like dropped ceilings and/or attic space was removed to create the vaulted ceiling, but then they had to leave the supports to open it up and expand the doorways. If that's the case, seems like you could put it back.

NeDak thanked suzyq53
  • PRO
    NeDak
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    It was actually built this way. Not an addict prior.
  • suzyq53
    4 år sedan

I really can't think of a way to fix other than drywalling up to ceiling.

• PRO
    NeDak
    Författare
    4 år sedan

thanks! i wish i could picture it closed off.

• suzyq53
    4 år sedan

After having it open, I imagine you wouldn't like it closed off even though you think you don't like it open.

NeDak thanked suzyq53
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.