liseyd2013

Kitchen shelves and cabinets - for my church conversion

Lisa
4 år sedan

I have a 135 year old converted church. The kitchen is basic and we want to update it. We'll be keeping the lower cabinets, and have more than enough storage, this is to add some interest to the walls and perhaps better storage for dishes. We're changing the counter tops as the custom wood is uneven and hard to food prep on. Some sort of light coloured quartz or ceasarstone.

We want to install wall cabinets and shelves - on a practical note, not too many open shelves as this is a weekend house in the country and will fill up with cobwebs too quickly!

Thinking a combo of Ikea, maybe even painted out to replace my orange accent wall ( which I love but not married to).
Any thoughts or suggestions?

And yes, I think the white fridge should go but it works.
Thank you!

Kommentarer (18)

• mnmamax3
    4 år sedan

What a cool and unique space! It's hard to tell from the pictures but are the cabinets older? Be sure they have the structural support for a heavy counter. Love the orange accent wall, but see how the rest of the space comes together and you can decide.

• Lisa
    Författare
    4 år sedan

the cabinets are custom, probably 15 years old? the conversion used a lot of local Mennonite labour and resources so I am assuming they're overbuilt and strong but will certainly check now!

• teddytoo
    4 år sedan

I would paint the wall white and add raw edge wood shelves with iron support to go with the other iron accents I see in your photos. With your light countertops I would add these tiles on the backsplash as a nod to the church it was and for your love of color. Tiles are on
    mineraltiles.com

• teddytoo
    4 år sedan

I might even do the whole orange back wall with the rainbow stained glass and some clean lined shelving. I absolutely love this space with the dark wood cabinets!

• Pete Global
    4 år sedan

I would paint the kitchen wall currently orange and all the cabinets white ...then buy some white cabinets to hang on the walls or build what you need .and paint that white ...Then look again ...

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    4 år sedan

Cool space!

Personally?

I wouldn't do a thing until all the lighting was pre-established.

Change out to all LED for starters.

Then take a good look around.

• ocotillaks
    4 år sedan

I'm not liking the orange wall. I would paint the walls Behr Honey Infusion, Honied White or Yucca White. You need to warm up the space with all the wood. The cabinets look pretty sturdy and I would keep them.

• Lisa
    Författare
    4 år sedan

@teddytoo, I love that rustic / industrial look but am afraid I'll spend my weekends dusting if I have too many open shelves. :)
    Am going to look up those tiles, thank you

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 år sedan

I love old churches made into homes . I think you need to add some glass door cabiets to kind of bring some light into the space and balance the glass windows . Add some good LED lighting inside the cabinets and also change the other lighting to the same I am not loving the lower cabinets the stain looks very bad so I might be tempted to paint those a nice pale green and then add the quartz counter with the while or creamy white uppers . I kind of like the orange so maybe keep the wall at the bar and after adding in uppers over the fridge and on that wall you might find that bit of orange left is just right.

• Lisa
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thanks all - yes the lighting definitely needs to be changed!! I'm still with the "temporary" overhead lightbulb.

• vicki m
    4 år sedan

Hello

wondering how it all went

we are looking into purchasing a Baptist church

but it doesn’t have a kitchen at all

any advice?

is it worth it in the long run?

thanks!

vicki

• Lisa
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Hi Vicky- we were finishing a bathroom and next are spending money on a new front door so the kitchen is on the back burner (haha). we love this converted church. we don't have much land but its surrounded by farmers fields, and most of our neighbours are Mennonite, so it's quiet! - it's a really great country house, and perfect for projects. good luck!

• vicki m
    4 år sedan

ok thanks for sharing i am a bit overwhelmed, but sadly in love!lol

• lindahambleton
    4 år sedan

Hi Lisa, I want to thank you for replying to Vicki M. I wish more OP would get back in touch to tell us how they solved their “ design dilemma”. Or at least just an update.

• felizlady
    4 år sedan

I am wondering if you plan to share some progress photos. The lighting needs to be improved to make this a usable kitchen. As much as I love orange, you need lighter walls to reflect the available light.

• Lisa
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Hi Felizlady, see, I just love the orange, so thats just personal taste. we are going for "modern rustic". the walls were all a muddy pale yellowish green, and we painted all out white (BM chantilly lace). The only colour is that wall. we did put a 3 bulb spot light up which helps with lighting. the plan is to replace the wood counters with a light quartz (maybe, still determining but definitely something light coloured and affordable), move the stove to the opposite wall and have that one counter more like a peninsula, accessible from both sides. and add in some uppers even though not needed for storage as I don't use what we have! phew - a lot of work. I will try to re meds to post an update, but this might not be until next year.

• eam44
    4 år sedan

Before you do anything, post your layout. You never know what more experienced eyes might see. They could save you a lot of effort!

So what’s it like living in an old church?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.