webuser_366269605

Replacing old decking

I would like to replace my old decking and would like to use wood which will weather (fairly quickly) to a silver / grey colour, and not look orange/red! The area is large 3.5m x 5.5m, however, my budget isn't! Could anyone advise a type of wood to use please.

Kommentarer (11)

• Sonia
    4 år sedan

I think the only budget decking is softwood, which is probably what you have. Hardwood decking is beautiful, depending what wood you choose. It’s not cheap. I actually love the very rich coloured decking used in the tropics, but I’m not sure what wood it is.

i have softwood decking, all I could afford at the time, but it has lasted better than I imagined. It didn’t really go silver, it just went a scruffy brown/beige so I very recently painted it a dark slate grey. My deck is about 7 years old.

There is a product that is a composite decking which supposedly never rots. Some are realistic, some are rather too plastic looking for my liking! Wickes and other builders merchants sell it.

• Maths Wife
    4 år sedan

Oak Silvers the best, it's also hardwood and long lasting. Try this website www.uk-timber.co.uk I think you need 38 3.6m boards and the order including the vat comes to £1002

( Bargain ). They also do all smooth or reversible ( same price ).

Don't forget though, you need your stringers underneath on top of that price, but any decent treated timber on a good sub base should be good.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 år sedan

With a decking, it is always best to remember that you get what you pay for so material quality is paramount.

The support structure is also extremely important and a composite option should be considered as you will have no issues with rot.

If your budget is really tight, then have you considered looking on ebay or the internet for a reclaimed hardwood? It may look tatty and discoloured however you can generally buy this cheaply and then renovate it with a jet wash before re-finishing. You can rent a great jet wash from HSS which will strip any algae, etc., quickly and leave the wood looking renewed.

A hardwood will last for a very long time if treated properly and this applies to the reclaimed option as well.

• Sonia
    4 år sedan

Brandler, what is your opinion of composite deck? I am considering it for when my old deck finally falls apart, whenever that will be! Some of it looks like plastic and I’m not keen. I wonder also if it is non slip?

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

@ forzaitalia - I have to admit that I am a lover of hardwood options, however composite decking has come a long way in the last few years.

Aesthetically there are options which look very authentic, however what gives it away is that it never weathers like a natural product would. There are also option available that are anti-slip.

I would certainly use a composite support structure as it cannot be seen and is both robust and lasts for decades.

• Sonia
    4 år sedan

Thank you Brandler, it might see me out then! I do love that dark rich hardwood deck you see in the tropics and I’m seeing used over here now. Think I’ll be doing some research now!

• PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    4 år sedan

If you want a hardwood that turns a beautiful range of silvers then you can't go far wrong with yellow balau hard wood. It comes in widths of 4" and 6". I won't go into to much blurb as it will only start a big debate and that should be left for another thread, but always use smooth side up. It looks better, easier to maintain and it is the correct way!

Two best suppliers for this is Silva Timber and Arnold Laver Timber World.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 år sedan

@ AGI Landscaping - I agree that Arnold Laver Timber are a great supplier and one of the companies that provide materials to us.

• Houzz-ID: 366269605
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thank you for all your comments - really appreciate you taking the time. I am pleased to read - smooth side up (thanks to AGI Landscapes), I really don't like the 'groove' side.

I am in conversations with Silva and Arnold Laver, also I have found a company called Puidukoda - Siberian Larch with an Iron Sulphate treatment.....just not sure environmentally how friendly this is! More reading required.

• Houzz-ID: 366269605
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Great - many thanks for your very solid advice - much appreciated. Hopefully I will be able to load up some before and after images late Summer!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.