carla3127

Garage door recommendations

Nad T
4 år sedan

Looking for garage door recommendations....Should the garage have windows in it?

Kommentarer (40)

• katinparadise
    4 år sedan

bump

• PRO
    Design & Build . . . by Roger Perron, Inc.
    4 år sedan

Hello,

Here's a link to a "garage door buying guide" that may give you some ideas:

https://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/garage-doors.html

• st5330
    4 år sedan

i like doors with windows

• girl_wonder
    4 år sedan

Some websites have tools where you can customize the garage door. I've used the one on the Overhead Door Company's website, but I bet there are others.

https://www.overheaddoor.com/garage-door-designer

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Any inspirations photos? There is a lot of garage so I don’t want anything overwhelming!

• katinparadise
    4 år sedan

How about something a bit more contemporary to go with the cleaner lines of the house?

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Love those!

• PRO
    The House Designers
    4 år sedan

We have tons of articles to help you choose the right garage door! Maybe start with our "Selecting the Right Garage Door" article.

Spencer Crosby, Project Coordinator

The House Designers

• Molly D. Zone4B
    4 år sedan

Agree with bpath- all the little squares conflict with the longer lines of the right side of the house. Simplify.

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

I agree! Is the 3rd option above still too busy?

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Anyone able to photoshop in a few garage options?

• Molly D. Zone4B
    4 år sedan

What colors will you be using? I like #3. The professionals that respond on here really seem to encourage minimizing the look of the doors.. Hopefully more will chime in.

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Windows are white, likely James Hardie aged pewter lap siding on house and James Hardie aged pewter shingles in gables...I am thinking the garage doors need to be ?aged pewter

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Here is aged pewter

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Another perspective

• Molly D. Zone4B
    4 år sedan

Would be good if someone could photoshop. I’m sure they will say no to white with the front facing doors. Don’t want the doors to “pop”. Maybe tie into front door color- wood tone?

• katinparadise
    4 år sedan

I think #3 could work. It's not as busy as the first mockup. The color of the siding surrounding the doors is the best way to make them disappear a bit.

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Groveraxle....can you help?

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Maybe one of these would be easier to photoshop? Does the garage door need to be the same color as the siding to make it less of a focal point? Or should it be wood? I like to keep things simple so don’t want too many colors! Can someone help me see what a new less busy garage in an appropriate color would look like?

• felizlady
    4 år sedan

It’s nice to have windows so you can find what you are looking for without turning on the light (and forgetting to turn it off). When you drive in, the light will operate with the door opener. When you enter thru the house, you need a light. And a garage door with windows looks nice.

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

We will have windows! I’d really love opinions on what color the garages should be...Same color as trim? Same color as house? Wood color?

• lepstein
    4 år sedan

I vote garage same colour as siding. Trim same colour as garage and siding.

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

The windows are white though and we can’t change that...Wont they really stick out is the trim, garage and house are the same color?

• 93cc
    4 år sedan

While garage door windows offer advantages such as adding light to the room, bear in mind security issues by someone peering in to see if you're home or not (vehicles are gone) or what's being stored that might be of value. The added light from windows is helpful but you will likely find it's insufficient if actually doing work inside your garage. So be sure to think about adding lights on the inside of garage as this is often overlooked by builders or new home buyers, and then it requires later more costly retrofit. Another issue is glass breakage from hurricanes or other high wind storms. These issues may not be particularly relevant for your situation as you may live outside hurricane zones or have adequate security but that is unknown to the reader.

While considering garage doors, you may want to consider door lifts. The LiftMaster Jackshaft openers eliminate the overhead rail giving more usable space for storage.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Just get frosted windows if you‘re worried about people peeking in. If you don’t have any other strong color or wooden door to balance the garage doors against, I feel that 2 huge wood garage doors would be overwhelming.

My husband wanted a wood-look door so I choose a strong color for the front door. Hard to tell in the picture but the door is a deep teal. If I had left the front door a very light color, your eye would instantly go to the garage when you pull up to the house.

You may want to paint the garage doors a slightly lighter version of your siding color.

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

White garage, grey garage or wood?

• girl_wonder
    4 år sedan

Anna (6B/7A in MD) thanks for posting your photo. I'm doing something similar though I'll probably paint my house a darker green. (maybe Sherwin Williams Meadow Trail or Messenger Bag). You said your garage door is "wood look." What brand is your door and/or where did you buy it? I'm considering a carriage style door from Overhead Door Company that is wood-like, but I'd love to see if there are other companies selling this. Do you know what color wood finish that is? thanks

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 år sedan

Girl_wonder, it’s a walnut finish by Clopay.

• PRO
    Casco Industries, Inc.
    4 år sedan

Also check out CHIOHD.com They have helpful tips on designing your garage door.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    4 år sedan

Are you locked into just the one color-Aged Pewter for all the siding?

• redsilver
    4 år sedan

Only wood if the front door is a very close similar wood stain? But, really garage doors should match the house walls, they are not a trim, they make the house look complete. No windows in a garage door, do get an insulated garage door no matter where you live, do not paint your garage doors 2 tone(that is nauseating)like the raised portion gray and the inner squares white, for instance. If you want windows in your garage WALL, that is fine, but not anything more than 3 feet in length, and have a good plan for interior window coverings(I am bothered by the neighbors miniblinds, that their cat always has his way with, it looks trashy). I like the look of a special exterior planting, such as a trellis or archway,(away from the wall)with a nice climbing rose on it, more than the windows to break up the depth of your garage wall, on the side view, especially if that is the utility wall where the outside a/c unit compressor and the electric meter are placed....than run that trellis or arch the length of the utility area away from the house, to hide that stuff from the front view of the house, that is one nice thing those half walls did which used to be place similar to wings on a house in the 70's.......LOL. DO place ceiling light sockets on either side of your vehicle, as to say above the 'hallway' along the doors side of your vehicles. No since placing a light over the roof of your car, tho your garage door opener will likely have one there anyways) when parked in the garage. You need good lighting in the 'walkways' of your garage. Paint the inside of your garage a light color, that will reflect the lighting when turned on. Just some things I have noted about attached car garages. Beautiful home. I love a nice ranch style home!!

• st5330
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

ive never understood the thought tbat windows in a garage are a “security risk” — we all know theres a car in there and possibly other valuables but theres valuables in our houses too and windows on the house would be easier by far for an intruder to enter anyway. garage door windows tend to be high and very small. in my neighborhood we are one of the only ones without windows on our door but when it gets replaced we def will! theres nothing wrong with the one we have so its low on my list of priorities, but still.

• Nad T
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Very helpful advice! We aren’t locked into any colors yet! The only thing that is certain is the windows will be a white vinyl! I’m nervous if the garages do not have windows they will appear even bigger? I have attached a photo without windows...

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 år sedan

Garage door with windows is extremely useful. I would never get one without.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    4 år sedan

I prefer the garage to be like the siding. What color are the decorative beams? I guess I was hoping to see 2 colors and the garage being the darker of the two. Not exactly sure where you would do that with your sidings...

• Molly D. Zone4B
    4 år sedan

I don’t love the design of this navy house, but included it because of the garage doors and beams matching. The other house I like the depth with two similar colors and garage matched to lighter

• Cheryl Smith
    4 år sedan

Windows for sure and insulated. Worth the cost difference for both. No need to turn on light in daylight. And will help with hot & cold. Windows high so people don't see what you have inside

• Molly D. Zone4B
    4 år sedan

Also- I don’t think it’s crazy more expensive than a standard door but we got WiFi enabled garage doors that we can close and open with an app on our phone. Gives piece of mind when you are wondering if you left the door open....

• RedRyder
    2 år sedan

Do the garage doors either the same color as the house or a shade lighter, for some delineation. If the windows have plastic grids, you can easily remove them. Of the ones posted I like the long horizontal lines of #3. Yes to windows in the garage doors. Lighting outside your garage is just as important as the color of your doors.
    And lots of garage door websites let you “play” with ideas on their websites. Clopay makes a beautiful charcoal gray garage door my friends put on their house. It’s very upscale looking without being crazy-priced.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.