hzdeleted_45189001

would you cut down this tree?

User
4 år sedan
senast redigerad:4 år sedan

I love trees and hate to get rid of one, but this tree blocks the front of my house, and does not allow grass to grow.

The next door neighbor is upset with me, saying it takes away from his privacy and would change the look of the street.

While I understand his concern, I would like to have a nice lawn and view of my home.

Trimming it would help, but would still block the house and not allow the grass to grow to its fullest. The roots are also very close to the house.

Remove tree
Trim tree

Kommentarer (21)

• branson4020
    4 år sedan

Start with having a arborist give it a look.

• Lorrie H
    4 år sedan

I love trees too but I think it to big and to close to the house. Has to go. :(

• Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    4 år sedan

My vote is yes. It is indeed sad, but it is too close to the house.

• Robbin Capers
    4 år sedan

Too much tree in too little space. We love trees too, but cut down several cottonwoods on our lot (and a bunch of alder) because they're just not good quality trees. We've already started planting better trees in their place. If your neighbor wants a tree taking up their entire front yard they're certainly free to plant one. You're really not obligated to their preferences.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 år sedan

Cannot vote based on one angle of view.

Amazing that you didn't limb it up along the way!

The tree on the right already needs some limbing up so don't forget about it.

• functionthenlook
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

I agree to big for the space. Tell your neighbor that the only view or privacy anyone is guaranteed is what is in their own property line.

• aliceingardenland
    4 år sedan

If you like the tree, have an expert come and check it. My guess is they will tell you it should go because of the roots issue, but it's worth getting some professional advice before taking it out. Otherwise, just take it out. Unless, of course there is an HOA issue too?

• emmarene9
    4 år sedan

Raise the canopy and maybe thin it a bit. Arborist will be able to advise .

• saccharum
    4 år sedan

Where is your property line? If the tree is on municipal property, you may not be able to remove it or even prune it without permission.

• PRO
    J. N. Residential, Inc
    4 år sedan

The tree is too large for the space, kills your grass, especially if it is Bemruda, It also will keep the front of your house from drying out promoting mold and mildew to grow on your stucco. the roos can also damage your foundation and driveway. If the neighbor is concerned let him plant his own tree!

• kitasei
    4 år sedan

It is a magnificent tree... so I would really study it to see how it might be limbed up and thinned to open up some air and light for your house but still give YOU some privacy. If it overhangs the neighbor's property perhaps he might contribute to the cost. Do you really need a lawn there? A ground cover wouldn't suffice? The beauty of your house and neighborhood would seem to be enhanced by mature trees so please go slowly.

• PRO
    Jana Kadlicová - JK DECO
    4 år sedan

A house and big tree is always a perfect match. I'd let arborist to shape the tree maximum what's possible for keeping alive. Then, there are special lawn mixtures designed for growing "under tree". In this way we had finally been able to convert a bare mold space under tree into a lawn, maybe not so much beautiful, but still lawn.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 år sedan

You should check with the city planning department/building department to see if it's even possible to remove it. Some jurisdictions are very strict about tree removal. If they allow it, you might have to pay a fine or provide recompense by planting another tree elsewhere.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 år sedan

Wait until after you've enjoyed its fall color and then remove it. I would have a complete reno of the landscape designed and start it with this tree.

• PRO
    Twelve Gardens Ltd.
    4 år sedan

The tree grounds the house; without it, the house could feel out of proportion with its surroundings, from what is shown in the photos. That said, have it limbed up and pruned so that it stops taking over. An arborist could open it up more and lighten it so that it is in proportion with the house.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 år sedan

I’d say cut down the big tree. It’s not safe to have a big tree near a house to start with. Your neighbors next door would be happy to see it go. They won’t have to worry about tree branches to damage their cars in the wind storms.

• User
    4 år sedan

Have tree trimmed then landscape with shade tolerant plants.

• Jilly
    4 år sedan

I love trees so much and think yours are beautiful. I think they add such a stately (yet cozy) feel ... and actually make me want to look closer at your lovely house.

I agree with others — limb it up first and see how you feel. If you’re still not happy with it, remove. But I think opening up the area by trimming it will make such a difference! Best of both worlds. Since you’re on a corner, your house will be much more visible with the tree trimmed well, while still having a nice buffer between your house and the street. It sure will be open and stark without it.

Good luck, hope you’ll update us. :)

• Olychick
    4 år sedan

I hope you'll figure out how to keep it by thinning and limbing it up. Perhaps, if you tell the neighbors you are going to try to make it work, you could suggest they share in the cost of an arborist, so they can still enjoy the benefits of the tree remaining?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    4 år sedan

Definitely get a CERTIFIED Arborist to assess the tree before you do anything! Not sure where you live but this tree could also help with utility bills.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.