marysiaz

Family room, please help me put some wow into it

Marysia
4 år sedan
senast redigerad:4 år sedan

Kommentarer (23)

• Tamar Wolfe
    4 år sedan

It looks like you have a beautiful ceiling treatment and your wall color matches the stone on you fireplace very nicely. I think what is tripping you up is that your furniture is very dark, as is your flooring and your area rug. I try to use a rule that if the flooring is dark, pop a lighter floor covering on it so there is contrast. So try to find a rug that is more in the light taupe family, perhaps with a little color in it to help brighten the room.. All three of your wood pieces are very "matchy" and dark, perhaps a coffee table that was iron and stone would still give weight but is lighter, and you need a lamp on the end table next to the sofa for reading. the lamp in the corner isn't doing anyone any good. It could be placed next to a chair or sofa. And on the sofa, instead of a neutral throw, give yourself a pop of color, perhaps turquoise if you love that color, or gold if that is the one you love, I notice those accents in the room, and repeat it in the pillow, or if it appears in the accent rug you chose for the floor.

You have the beginnings of a room that could be very nice because of strong architecture, just use more color to make it pleasing to the eye. Good luck.

• PN _Bos
    4 år sedan

Additional pics would help. How do you watch TV since it faces the back of your sofa? Is there another sofa/chairs we can’t see? Looks like you may need to rearrange -- or maybe ditch the TV if you don't use it. Lots of good things going on – I love your ceiling, floors, white & gray walls; but you need some color & possibly a bigger rug. I’d stack some logs in the FP, add a tray to your coffee table, a plant or 2.

• K R
    4 år sedan

Another request for additional pics. Is there any other furniture in the space? I also agree couches facing away from a tv make no sense.

• PRO
    KB Design +
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Hello Marysia, it is hard to say looking at the photo what your style is, Before listening any suggestions (they are inevitably will be based on a suggesting person taste) you'll have to figure out in what direction you want to move - rustic, traditional, eclectic, classical (the very contemporary is kind of out of question because of the fireplace and ceiling). After you have the direction you can choose your materials. I'll recommend adding textiles and textures, and tall pieces - tall curtains to emphasize the verticals, taller floor lamp (like an arch lamp?), arrangement on the coffee table - need more layers. Adding texture via runner for the coffee table, throws on the sofa (or maybe, some textile draping the seat) will help too. Be careful with colors, as you stone has definite green undertone - your future colors will need to be friends with it.

I do not see why your TV is behind the sofa, but maybe there are more furniture pieces, but you can come up with some sort of a gallery wall on the wall behind the sofa (with or without TV)

• everdebz
    4 år sedan

Hi. With warm wood floor, this is practically opposite being a green, but so pretty and neutral. Casual and all dark furniture can stand 'exciting' contrast like someone said....This rug has been handcrafted for weeks in the traditional method that is used to make Persian Rugs.

Hand-Knotted Modern Grass Design Gabbeh Pure Wool Rug, 8'1"x10'1" · Mer info

https://www.houzz.com/products/hand-knotted-modern-grass-design-gabbeh-pure-wool-rug-81x101-prvw-vr~76919659

• decoenthusiaste
    4 år sedan

NEI - please expand and explain.

• Daniel OConnell
    4 år sedan

I'm moved to write a song about that lonely corner...I'll be back later.

• everdebz
    4 år sedan

Warm color like floor, and to play off nice stones of fp...to me this is cheerful.

Pure Wool Hand-Knotted Peshawar with Southwest Motifs Rug, 8'1"x10'0" · Mer info

https://www.houzz.com/products/pure-wool-hand-knotted-peshawar-with-southwest-motifs-rug-81x100-prvw-vr~104046008

• Marysia
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Couple more pictures.
    I was planning on having the TV hung over the fire place. My kitchen is on the other side where I like to have the TV on while cooking. I would call my style classic.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 år sedan

Can't help you without more info about the room. Here's a guess at a room layout

• PN _Bos
    4 år sedan

If you move your TV above the fireplace, you’d have to lower your mantel – otherwise it will be too high to view comfortably from the sofas. I’m not a big fan of over-the-fireplace-TVs unless it is your only option; your space looks big enough where you can make something else work. I think I’d try to do something like Beverly’s layout ^ put your sofas in a L-shape, get a bigger rug and add some color / character & this will be a great space.

• K R
    4 år sedan

I agree with Beverly, remove one of the couches in favor of 2 chairs, it will really brighten the space!

• everdebz
    4 år sedan

They display this with off-white frame and tripod floor lamp, nice.

"Mute Swan, cygnets, Kensington Metropark, Milford, Michigan" Paper Art, 38"x26" · Mer info

https://www.houzz.com/products/mute-swan-cygnets-kensington-metropark-milford-michigan-paper-art-38x26-prvw-vr~129050634

• everdebz
    4 år sedan

Not a blend with current rug, sorry.

"L'Allee Des Alyscamps" Framed Canvas Giclee by Paul Gauguin, 42"x35" · Mer info

https://www.houzz.com/products/lallee-des-alyscamps-artwork-42x34-prvw-vr~54979761

• felizlady
    4 år sedan

Color and art. Art on the empty walls. No more gray or black anything!

• katinparadise
    4 år sedan

following

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 år sedan

You can't continue to purchase black and gray items and expect a different outcome. The rug is too small for the room. Move the sofa so they are at right angles to one another.

• groveraxle
    4 år sedan

With your current furniture, I'd go with Beverly's second furniture arrangement. If you want to view to TV from the kitchen, put it on an articulating arm. I would not mount it over the mantel, but I might lower the mantel anyway, if possible, because you have very little space between it and the ceiling and with the coffers, it looks very busy.

I'd replace the vertical blinds with shades or curtains, remove the vase of fake flowers in the corner, get a larger lighter rug, and a lighter coffee table.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 år sedan

Leave TV where it is and arrange the sofas in an "L"

• pat1250
    4 år sedan

Following

• Tina
    4 år sedan

Following

• onetwothre
    4 år sedan

Not sure if you have the room to do this, but I'd move the TV to the right and angle it in the
    corner (where the floor lamp is). Put the couches in an L-shape facing the TV. You'd probably have a better view from your kitchen, but again, I don't know if you have enough room for the couch.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.