sally_harrison68

help choosing dining table please

LTS
4 år sedan

Hi guys

Last spring I ordered this lovely simple table thinking it was mid oak but when it arrived it was bleached oak so too light to go with the walnut legged chairs. My own costly mistake for going by the pics & not reading the product description thoroughly!

I don’t suppose anyone has come across a table they think would go with the different woods? We also have a walnut bar on the island. I was thinking of perhaps black legs & a mid tone top? I’d like the legs at the corner & preferably not extendable between 190cm - 200cm long. And kid durable if there is such a thing!

Thanks so much!

Kommentarer (30)

• Ellie
    4 år sedan

Also I don't think there is anything wrong with it being a different tone from the chair legs but I guess it depends on other colours in the room too

• Sonia
    4 år sedan

I agree with Ellie, you don’t have to match all the wood in a room. However, you could stain the table to a darker hue if you wanted to. If you do that, practice on an old bit of wood first to ensure the colour is right.

• carocat24
    4 år sedan

I’d paint the legs (as others have suggested) to tone in with the chair seats (grey?) and buy a wipeable tablecloth for child proofing.

• Tani H-S
    4 år sedan

Are your chair tops grey? If so then I would paint the legs grey to compliment the chairs as previously suggested

• PRO
    SASI Studio
    4 år sedan

You can find online tables with walnut top to match the island and dark painted legs. You need to consider that you have wood also on the floor.

• rinked
    4 år sedan

Paint the legs up to the same height as the chairs 'dip color'. I like both table and chairs!

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Hi everyone, sorry, I didn’t receive any reply notifications from Houzz! I agree that all of the wood doesn’t need to be the same but this table did stick out like a sore thumb. Thanks for all of your suggestions, however, I’ve already returned the table but am thinking of getting the smoked oak one instead. Here’s the link:

https://www.andtradition.com/the-collection/10-tables/1851-in-between-sk5/

Wow, the bleached one looks anaemic here...wish I’d seen these pics before I ordered it, lol. Thanks everyone again...these decisions can be tough!

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Oh & this pic shows better how light the table was...

• Ellie
    4 år sedan

I can't seem to see the smoked table properly on your link. I assume it's a closer match to your floor? I do think that might be more noticeable, 2 woods trying to match in colour but they don't.....?

• E D
    4 år sedan

Yes, not quite a match is often not great, but OP could consider a good sized rug for under the table and chairs.

Then again, will the table and chairs‘ colours match?

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 år sedan

Hi LTS !
    I think it’s a lovely shape table ! Yes it’s the wrong colour - but a handy furniture restorer would be happy to strip it back and stain it darker for you - they’d probably be able to show you test patches of various shades possible on the underside of the table ... much cheaper than buying another !

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Hi guys the table was returned months ago at a costly cost of £110! It actually said on the website £55 for large item returns but even though I sent them screenshots they then changed their website! Grrrr. I do love the table design but understand what you mean about trying to match woods unsuccessfully...there aren’t actually that many useful images on the web but these may help of the smoked oak...it also looks different darknesses on different websites too so not very helpful for me. I wish they did tables to match the chairs I bought but they only do light oak with linoleum tops. I’m now looking into perhaps getting a table like this one as matt black powder coated frame would go complement our bar stools...I’ve sent for some wood samples for the top. Maybe 2020 will be the year of the dining table, lol. Thanks again everyone. Merry Christmas! :)

• Ellie
    4 år sedan

£110 cost to return it, wow! That's not far off what we actually paid for our Ikea table! We got a cheap table as I know the kids will draw all over it!

• Sonia
    4 år sedan

I wonder if a non wood look would be better, say a white melamine style? My sister has one, some pricey brand, on her chestnut wood coloured floor and it really looks the business. This is similar, but a bit cheaper. It does have a Scandi look though.

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thanks Sonia for your suggestions. I’ve actually just seen a dining table IRL that is very similar to the one I purchased but it is a mid oak & at the fraction of the price I paid. I’ve ordered it & am thinking of paining the legs like suggested above. Will post pics in due course. Thanks again everyone!

• Kyle Barrett
    4 år sedan

I actually think it's a shame you sent it back. It looked lovely. You could have got a nice substantial solid walnut centrepiece (perhaps a big platter) and it would have looked stunning and cohesive.

Wood that actively doesn't match isn't a problem (like walnut and bleached oak) it's woods that are similar tones but noticeably different - if you catch my drift.

Surely a mid oak table will present exactly this issue when it connects with the floor?

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Nooooooo Kyle don’t say that!!! LOL. I did think about a walnut centrepiece but hey ho too late now. This is the wood of the table I’ve ordered. It isn’t too ‘mid oak’ so I don’t think it will be too similar toned. This is the table I sent back so you can see our floor.

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Lighting was quite yellowy in the store...this is the online pic, tone looks so much different. Fingers crossed the it is ok in our house!

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Table has arrived but is damaged. Grrr. Now have to wait for a replacement. I am not good at being patient. LOL.

• E D
    4 år sedan

That’s frustrating. But did you manage to check the tone?

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Yes we laid the new table top on top of our old table but didn’t attach the new legs as we spotted a chip in the table side (packaging was damaged). Unfortunately Mr LTS only took this one photo - what do you think? It was so sunny outside we closed some of the blinds but the sun made the room hazy so I think I need to get the table out again. Typically it isn’t sunny now!

My next post will be suggestions for cushions for the sofas!

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

He fibbed he took this one too :)

• E D
    4 år sedan

Looks really good!

• Kyle Barrett
    4 år sedan

Looks lovely, so no worries really. Just looking forward to seeing what the legs look like on the undamaged one.

The chairs are familiar btw, are they the Muuto ones or some name like that?

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thanks E D and Kyle that’s very reassuring. Will post a pic fully assembled when the new table has arrived.

Kyle the chairs are Normann Copenhagen Form. So comfy. I have another two chairs still in the box as the table we are currently using only seats 4 (we bought it when we bought our first house, a little cottage, nearly 20 years ago). We sold our previous table earlier this year.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Hi guy pic of table as promised. Really pleased with it. Thanks for all of your help :)

• LTS
    Författare
    4 år sedan

• Ellie
    4 år sedan

Looks good!

• PRO
    Warrington + Rose
    4 år sedan

And what do You think about concrete?

Check more of our products on www.warringtonandrose.co.uk

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.