luluq07

new mud room design

Lindsay
4 år sedan

I need help with furniture!! Main goal is to hide alll the shoes. Have a place for gloves, hats. To make it functional and industrial looking.
We have two brick walls that can be used, both about 5 feet long. This is also our entry way we use instead of the front door
The solid white door goes into our garage. The other door into our dining room.
I almost think built ins will make the room look too small. The room is about 150 sqft

Kommentarer (24)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 år sedan

I don't have a lot of ideas about storage for you but will ask - would you consider painting the brick in the room?

• Lindsay
    Författare
    4 år sedan

We already white washed it

• Jeff Smith
    4 år sedan

Here's our mudroom (snowy climate) for ideas. We put two cabinets in place, each has electrical inside for charging phones or similar. The cushion was custom made on Etsy. To the left is door to garage.

• Lindsay
    Författare
    4 år sedan

I like this!!! Where do you hang your coats?? Did you have cabinets custom built?

• felizlady
    4 år sedan

150 sf is not small. You can put a low drawer-and-open-slot unit on one side to handle shoes, boots, mittens and such. Install hooks on the other side so that wet things can dry out in the area. Put boot mats below the coats to catch drips. Be sure to leave enough space for in-swinging doors to clear the storage areas. The drawer/slot unit can act as a bench seat for removing boots. Indoor-outdoor carpeting will help protect the floor. Put good shoe-wiping mats just outside or inside the back door and garage door. Wet things dry better with air circulation, so wire mesh shelves would be good for knit hats and gloves.

• PRO
    Zapata Design, LLC
    4 år sedan

I agree with Steve - that is an excellent solution- nice image share too!

• Jeff Smith
    4 år sedan

Lindsay - coat closet is opposite mudroom bench/cabinets. Also a coat closet at front door.

Regarding custom cabinetry...yes, these mudroom cabinets built "custom" along with other cabinets in rest of this fairly new house. Cabinets built with maple shelves with alder (washed gray) for doors.

FYI: cabinet dimensions...18" wide by 79" tall by 13" deep. Bench total length is 82". That red carpet (for scale) is 58" by 80".

• seregiel
    4 år sedan

There are many types of thin shoe cabinets as well.

• Lindsay
    Författare
    4 år sedan

If I get a shoe cabinet where do I put hooks??

• seregiel
    4 år sedan

Opposing wall for coats and maybe small ones above cabinet for hats and bags?

• Lindsay
    Författare
    4 år sedan

We got a quote yesterday for something A.S
    $3000 for a custom piece.... we need something in the meantime until we decide we can allocate money towards that

• Lindsay
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Shirlp these have been the best solutions I have seen!! Love the pottery barn piece have to measure

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4 år sedan

Shop around Lindsay that is high. Different companies have different price points.

• shirlpp
    4 år sedan

Great!!!!

• mnmamax3
    4 år sedan

I remember this breezeway from a while back... it turned out great! I know you REALLY wanted a bench but a built-in is the best way to maximize the space. I love our IKEA PAX cabinets. We have a split mudroom space. The first one is in our back entrance space and holds all the shoes, returns to go back to stores and current season hats, etc. and the second cabinet is in the closet and houses all the cleaning supplies, off-season clothing and the litter box for our cat. There are two closet rods for hung coats in that closet. I think a double rod that is short enough for the kids to reach will work for hanging coats. It's the best way to max the space.

The pull out baskets are perfect for shoes as all the dust and dirt falls through the baskets and can be easily swept up. You can add doors on different sections and choose some deeper (on the ends) and others shallower to have it not feel so imposing. They have a sliding door if the cabinet size is large enough so you can hide half of it at a time. Bigso bins fit perfectly in the 39" wide cabinet nd are nicer than the IKEA ones.

• Lindsay
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thank you mnm!!!! Yes it has come a long long way!!! I can’t wait to finish it! Can you show me a picture of the hooks? I like the pax system just a little tall.
    We actually just got the quote $3800! We will have to find something in the meantime

• mnmamax3
    4 år sedan

Do you mean where I have the backpacks? Or the coats? The backpacks are on a wall that is a walking path so really just to the two wall-mount hooks.

• mnmamax3
    4 år sedan

Are both sides brick? I can't recall? I can see how the PAX 80" might be too close to the electrical bar across, plus it will cover up the pretty brick, but honestly you cannot beat the vertical storage! Until you install built-ins, what about something like this to show your brick through but still give you some free standing storage? I assume you do not want to drill into the brick until you order your cabinetry (which I hope includes some uppers for off-season gear).

I keep seeing ones out there made from pipe and wood (maybe a DIY). Notice this unit will holds very little. Make use of bins underneath to max storage (and keep looking neat). Hang a high and low coat rack on the other side so the kids can reach the hangers.

• Lindsay
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Ok I found someone to make us a half tree.
    It will look like the first picture. And we will get a bench like the second pic. Question is we are family of 4, do we get two large cubbies on the bottom or 4. Or a shelf? And do we get white or distressed white
    The third pic is just the color option
    Suggestions??

• mnmamax3
    4 år sedan

Remind of the ages of your kids again? Are you saying you'll get a separate bench for the other side?

• mnmamax3
    4 år sedan

Once you load up a bench like this, there is little room for sitting. I would consider building out the unit to same depth, top to bottom and then having dividers between the hooks for extra space to hang things. I had good luck with hooks facing each other instead of on the back. One hook for backpack, the other for a jacket or two. For the bottom, one shelf that ideally could fit a boot tray that can be removed for mud and dirt.

• mnmamax3
    4 år sedan

With little ones, I would allow for the bottom to be open to be cleaned easily (or fitted with boot trays). Eliminate the pull out drawer and lower the hooks so the kids can reach them. Make the upper shelf adjustable/removable as the kids get taller and have longer coats.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.