aawillo

Installer used wrong tile grout

aawillo
4 år sedan

Hi,

We just had a bathroom redone. The store the installer works for never specified what grout would be used for the walls of the shower. The floor got gray, the niche got white, but the white walls were supposed to get white as well. The installer certainly should have asked us or the store. I'll include some photos. I know it would look better in white, but is it worth getting him to re-do the entire thing? And IS it done in a way that it could be re-done? The tiles are terracotta art tiles with irregular edges and I fear they will just chip if we try to remove the gray grout. I'd love your thoughts and advice. Thanks. The grout is Extreme Epoxy by Proma.

Kommentarer (35)

• tedbixby
    4 år sedan

It looks good to me and it ties the floor in. And just a FYI- the store and the installer can't read your mind and it really was your responsibility to make sure that the installer knew what you wanted. Be happy that this looks fine and that you didn't have to bite the bullet to know that in the future that you've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's with any contractor you hire.

aawillo thanked tedbixby
  • Laura Evers
    4 år sedan

Think it looks great and you will be happy not to have white grout

aawillo thanked Laura Evers
  • myshabbycottage
    4 år sedan

Agreed...a happy accident! Looks great to me

aawillo thanked myshabbycottage
  • K R
    4 år sedan

It looks great

aawillo thanked K R
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 år sedan

It is fine.

aawillo thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • lilacblumen
    4 år sedan

It’s beautiful!! I agree that it’s a happy accident. ?

• aawillo
    Författare
    4 år sedan

You are all kind. Thank you. I think that it looks fine is probably a better settling point than the headaches it could cause to have him re-do it. I guess I'll just let it go. Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.

• Lisa Dipiro
    4 år sedan

I really like it the way it is.... i think if it was white walls it would really contrast with the floor.. this way it blends nicely.. white is hard to keep clean

aawillo thanked Lisa Dipiro
  • gayleen1
    4 år sedan

gorgeous! I like the contrast.

aawillo thanked gayleen1
  • Houzz-ID: 161159613
    4 år sedan

It looks great!

aawillo thanked Houzz-ID: 161159613
  • mononhemeter
    4 år sedan

Sorry that happened, but it does look great.

aawillo thanked mononhemeter
  • felizlady
    4 år sedan

The tile is beautiful and the installation job looks good, including the grout.
    Both sides were at fault for not being in direct contact. Luckily, the installer is a professional and knows what looks good.

• Mark Brunner
    4 år sedan

Count your blessings.

aawillo thanked Mark Brunner
  • catdeco
    4 år sedan

It looks great! I would not change it!

aawillo thanked catdeco
  • tatts
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

I'd have gone with white grout, but it's best to let that stay as it is; it looks fine. IMHO, the white tile is interesting enough to stand on its own, it didn't need the accents, but again, let sleeping dogs lie.

One thing that I hope everyone notices is what a great job he did laying out the tiles in the fields and fitting the niche. No odd slivers on any wall; the niche meets the horizontal joints dead-on, with full and half tiles abutting the sides (and the outside corner beads). Look at those joints! With all the horror stories we see posted here of really lousy tile layouts, you should be glad you got him. He did a top-notch job on layout. Good for him.

aawillo thanked tatts
  • motupeg
    4 år sedan

I like the gray grout with the floor. It is pretty. Be thankful that as Tatts said, the layout of the tiles were done well.

aawillo thanked motupeg
  • pleballerina
    4 år sedan

Like others noted, this looks great; your installer did a fantastic job on the layout: even the tile outlining the niche is evenly centered-enjoy your new bathroom!

aawillo thanked pleballerina
  • silvibar
    4 år sedan

It looks very nice, very neat job. The one comment I would make is that the niche looks a bit low to me or the shower head outlet too high. Maybe is the angle of the picture. Anyways looks great!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 år sedan

I love the gray. (gray is so much easier to keep looking clean in a shower than white)

I like the tile layout too. very nice job.

I hope you paint the ceiling in there a very pale blue/gray (instead of white). it would look great w/your tile choices.

• PRO
    CK Hoffman Design
    4 år sedan

Shame on them for not asking you first. There is NO way to get epoxy grout out without breaking all the tile, and starting over - so sorry. I actually like the combo, and you lucked out, the great around the white tile actually gives it some definition, and it really wouldn't have looked good in the niche - it looks nice - really! - And you're so lucky, they really could have been messed it up with who knows what. Move on and enjoy! Happy Surprises....

• Jen Hrzic
    4 år sedan

I think the mistake actually was a blessing. I really like the contrast. I had something similar happen with my gout job as well with clear glass tiles. I caught it very early and ended up liking the situation at hand.

aawillo thanked Jen Hrzic
  • alwaysdesigning
    4 år sedan

We gave our installer the shower tile layout plans to install large tiles vertically and they asked us to choose a grout color from their samples. After all that, they installed our shower wall tiles horizontally, even after we submitted the layout drawing to them as reference. So, at their expense, they had to tear it all out and reinstall correctly. If they didn't ask you for a grout color at any point, then that's on them. Personally, I like the color of your grout, but if you are not happy you need to have a conversation with the installer and figure out how they can fix it, at their expense if they did not get your decision in writing.

aawillo thanked alwaysdesigning
  • PRO
    Black Sheep Staging Co.
    4 år sedan

Love the gray! Good tile job!

aawillo thanked Black Sheep Staging Co.
  • Hope Powers
    4 år sedan

The gray looks lovely. When you consider that certain areas that are near the niche and faucets will turn dark as it ages, you will appreciate the gray grout more and more. It gives it a cohesive look and the bathroom is beautiful. Enjoy!

aawillo thanked Hope Powers
  • PRO
    Rudio Designz
    4 år sedan

I think it looks fabulous! Great choices on his part , thank god !
    typically the customer is involved with this decision though.
    Its perfect 💕

aawillo thanked Rudio Designz
  • aawillo
    Författare
    4 år sedan

I suppose I should let you all know, just for conversation sake, that I did have an outline of what grout went where in each of the rooms. I gave it to the the installer's boss a month before the installer started. His boss didn't get the information to him. Once I figured this out, I personally gave it to him. Lesson learned though.

• pcmbabs
    4 år sedan

This is one time where “test first, lesson later” turned out ok. It’s actually beautiful.

aawillo thanked pcmbabs
  • TMac
    4 år sedan

Have you ever had white grout??? white grout = black mold. You will be so happy to have grey grout a year from now/five years from now. And it looks great with the floors. A happy accident as others have said. (Plus... your tile supplier should have provided a grout colour option when you purchased the tile. Don't count on installers to design your house!)

• Laversa Carlin
    4 år sedan

Leave it. I did white tiles with gray grout in my Kitchen and I love it.

• Craig Johnson
    4 år sedan

All you people that keep commenting on the white grout getting dirty aren’t paying attention!! It’s epoxy grout. It’s not porous so it can’t get dirty ! White epoxy stays white !

• PRO
    Nailed It Construction
    4 år sedan

it looks good but what does the customer think? if It is not what they wanted I'd do what I had to do to get it that way. it may cost you but if you dont it may cost you your reputation in the end even if they say they say they are happy right now it could change. my advice would be to fix it or present it to them and see what happens. it does look good though.

• dianestjohn
    4 år sedan

I love it the way it is, it’s the perfect light gray and the tile setting is really gorgeous as well. But I do understand your frustration that they did not follow your direction. I had really good luck with grout pens that you buy at the big box store or online, they work well, are easy to use, change the color of the current grout and wear really well. I used a white grout pen on gray grout on a bathroom floor over a year ago and it still looks perfect. The downside is it’s time intensive and for a large area you will go through quite a few grout pens. I would live with it for awhile and if it still bugs you, maybe try the white grout pen in an inconspicuous area and see if that helps. I think there are also companies that change the color of grout without digging it out and regrouting.

• flopsycat1
    4 år sedan

I have always preferred grout color that matches the tile. It gives a more minimal and less busy look, with a subtle tile pattern. I’ve never had a problem with white grout looking dirty, and “black mold” would be an issue regardless of the color of the grout. Color choice is obviously a matter of personal preference. Bottom line, you should be happy with the end result.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.