webuser_561323078

Ensuite design help please! Tile dilemma

Maya A
4 år sedan

Hello! I am having a little crisis with our ensuite tiling. We have a fairly small, kind-of L-shaped ensuite (layout attached), and wanting to keep it clean, bright and contemporary.

Our tapware, trim and fittings are all white and chrome, with an avantgarde basin mixer (see images).

Our floor tile is honed terrazzo in neutral/taupe/charcoal/beige hues.

I am planning to use a plain white subway tile on the wall - haven't decided on a matching or subtly contrasting grout (suggestions please!).

To add a little more depth of colour to the walls, we are planning to run the terrazzo floor tile up the shower recess wall/s. My main dilemma is deciding which wall/s to bring the terrazzo up, without the ensuite looking too "beige".

I've named each wall with a letter on the layout. Should I keep it simple and just run the terrazzo up wall "D" with the shower head/mixer? Or should I run it up walls C, D & E inside the whole shower recess (and if so, should it extend up to the ceiling, or just to the top of the glass screen?), or should we run it up the whole B/C wall? Or up wall A, behind the toilet and vanity?

I would be so extremely grateful for any design advice - I really want to get this right. Thank you so much!

Kommentarer (22)

• bigreader
    4 år sedan

Normally I would say the B C wall but the terrazzo is very busy. Is there a window on the B C wall?

Maya A thanked bigreader
  • Maya A
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thank you bigreader. No, there are no windows at all in the room. There will be a solar tunnel for light.

• dreamer
    4 år sedan

The terrazzo is very busy. Since it will be on the floor, if you must have it on the wall as well, I would recommend only the D wall in shower recess.

Maya A thanked dreamer
  • Liz
    4 år sedan

Agree with me me

Maya A thanked Liz
  • dreamer
    4 år sedan

To keep your bathroom, clean, bright and contemporary, I would suggest doing a plain white grout with the subway tiles. There is too much happening with the floor already.

Maya A thanked dreamer
  • siriuskey
    4 år sedan

any floor plan to share to show why you need a solar light

Maya A thanked siriuskey
  • MC Hamilton
    4 år sedan

I too would say floor only as it is a smallish space (with no natural light so more white the better) and white tiles with white grout on all walls to full height. If it feels too simple when finished so easy to add textured/ coloured towels, plants, texted baskets etc . With white tiles maybe consider a larger size than traditional subway, so less grout and not too busy

Good luck, looking forward to seeing completed photos

Maya A thanked MC Hamilton
  • siriuskey
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

you could also consider using darker colours in a small or large space, it isn't what you would think to work but it does with great results.

I say this because a solar light will look and feel like you have a single bright light in the bathroom, so no task light etc which will need to be added.

What ventilation will there be.

Maya A thanked siriuskey
  • Kate
    4 år sedan

I would have said D to ceiling but it is hidden from door so a waste. If you have a shower niche put it in the back as your feature, simple highlight,. I would look at doing D in one of the colours from the terrazzo if you want some depth

Maya A thanked Kate
  • Caroline
    4 år sedan

This one has it on one wall in the shower and behind the toilet.

Maya A thanked Caroline
  • Maya A
    Författare
    4 år sedan

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have decided to select a different terrazzo that I think will complement the tapware better and lighten the room. I've attached an image of the new flooring. With this one, I'm thinking to run it up wall D. Any suggestions on grout colour for the subway tiles? White, or subtly contrasting?

• dreamer
    4 år sedan

White grout with your white subway tiles.

Maya A thanked dreamer
  • Kate
    4 år sedan

Love the new floor. I would not do a subway tile, especially with white grout in shower, think of the cleaning. Grout will go creamy brown over time. I would go a large square tile with rectified edges to minimize grout and use silver grout. Tile shower only and splashback. Plaster is a softer finish and without natural light will make it less like a public bathroom. I have an internal bathroom and tiled all walls to ceiling and regret it as it is too sterile. We are now adding cornices which is an improvement. I note in my powder room, I have vanity and toilet along one wall like yours and tiled that whole wall only and only up to height of splashback. Happy with that. It too is an internal room. Both have a skylight.

Maya A thanked Kate
  • PRO
    Lauren Shiels Interior Design
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

Hi there. I love the new Terrazzo choice, good move! Your'e right the undertones work so much better with your fittings. I think you should pull one of the mid tone greys from your terrazzo for your subway grout as the colour will last longer and be more forgiving. The terrazzo tile would look great on wall D.

Maya A thanked Lauren Shiels Interior Design
  • MC Hamilton
    4 år sedan

Love the new floor tile, and will look great on wall D. I’d do white or a pale grey Grout to keep clean lines. Darker colour may make it look busy and compete with the feature terrazzo tile. That said it really is personal taste, all the best

Maya A thanked MC Hamilton
  • Creativelychallenged
    4 år sedan

Second terrazzo tile is beautiful. Where is it sold? Just be conscious of sealing requirements and have to use only pH neutral cleaners on real terrazzo.

Maya A thanked Creativelychallenged
  • Creativelychallenged
    4 år sedan

Kate, are you able to post a picture of the internal bathroom that you say is too sterile. I also am having an internal bathroom and trying to decide tile heights. I have been given two different sets of advice on what to do. Feature tile is above a vanity with a round mirror skewed To left of vanity. My bathroom is only 1.55m deep. Tiles will be vertically stacked on feature wall using vanilla Brickart tile. Tile shop says to take feature tile to wall height of 2.7m and wrap it around walls just section where vanity is and then wall height in shower and no other tiles on wall. Tiger says to ceiling will be too much. Feature tile is creamy pale grey above timber vanity. It is always easier to decide what looks good for someone else as compared to self.

• Kate
    4 år sedan

Hi Creativelychallenged. I’m away at moment so can’t take a pic., I’ll check my pc later. If I had a do over I would do a timber vanity to create warmth and you have that. Definitely feature tile to ceiling. Think about how tiles around shower will be finished if not to ceiling. I’ve just renovated our other bathroom and gone full height in East wall with shower and vanity and toilet. North wall plaster, west wall is full height glass sliders hiding Laundry, south has full width windows and is tile below windows only. Timber vanity. Love it. Much more domestic with some plaster, softer more replacing. My friend just did a small en-suite fully tiled with a soft looking, not gloss, patterned italianate tile which looks fantastic too.

• PRO
    Colour Confidence Interiors
    4 år sedan

I agree with Kate re perhaps replacing the Subway tile with a larger format and always suggest using a silver grey grout rather than white - especially if it is to be used in the shower or on the floor.

Maya A thanked Colour Confidence Interiors
  • Maya A
    Författare
    4 år sedan

@Creativelychallenged the terrazzo tiles are from Fibonacci Stone

• Creativelychallenged
    4 år sedan

Thanks Kate. This gives me more confidence

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.