connie_snyder5611

Help with a piece of furniture

Connie Snyder
10 år sedan
What can I do with this? I have moved it all over my house and can't find a good place for it. Would it look good painted

Kommentarer (21)

• Brenda
    10 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 10 år sedan
    It's an antique telephone bench ... been a long time since I've seen one of those. Very useful back in the day when homes had one telephone and it was "tethered" to the phone jack.

Might be fun to use it as a consolidation point for all of your family's cell phone chargers. I know it would make me chuckle if I walked into your house and saw it used like that. Or even for one old fashioned (functional) corded phone ... every time we have an extended power outage at my house I'm left wishing I still had one functioning corded phone ...
  • Connie Snyder
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Good idea. I could put it in my kitchen right by the door. You are correct that it is an antique. I bought it many years ago at an antique store in Havana Florida. Would you paint it
  • Brenda
    10 år sedan
    If you have other antiques in your home then I would not paint it -- it will blend in great as is. Probably would change out the fabric on the seat cushion though.
  • Connie Snyder
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    Thanks. That is what I will do.
  • PRO
    Vancourt Custom Cabinetry
    10 år sedan
    If you're looking to make some money on it then try that but otherwise stay away from "paint" you want to lacquer this piece to keep it looking like furniture. Paint will just scratch off and you will be left wishing you never did anything to it.
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Hi Connie, lacquers can be tinted to any colour of your choice too, just an FYI. Lacquer does have to be sprayed but I do all of my furniture in spray lacquer and I have never had a problem with scratching it and customers have always lived the turn out. Don't be nervous. Interior design is all about new ideas and making your home more enjoyable to live in. Enjoy!
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Loved*
  • Connie Snyder
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    I am loving this site. My sister has an eye for these kind of things but it helps to get the advise of others.
  • PRO
    10 år sedan
    Also check out some of my designers ideas " Andrea Wheelband & Renee Gammon of Two Birds Design"
  • abbyjean
    10 år sedan
    It looks to me like the wood is in perfect shape AND it matches the wood in your home, from what I can see in the pic....and maybe even another antique next to it? I would love to see it kept in this same condition with the cushion only freshened up to match your home. Try to find a small wall where it can sit alone. Loved the idea of in your kitchen and if it was by the door, it could even be the bench to USE for taking shoes on and off. Put something on the top that will not interfere with sitting, as it looks like the current plant might. The top decoration depends on the room you use it in. I know it is a phone table, but it sure works as an entry table, too. Then guess it gets the dish for the keys.
    Connie Snyder thanked abbyjean
  • Brenda
    10 år sedan
    Connie, this thread got me looking up "telephone benches" on google and ebay ... I am LOVING this mid century one ...
  • Brenda
    10 år sedan
    ... and check out this 'before' and 'after' ...
  • Brenda
    10 år sedan
    ... another one that made me chuckle ... that SO could have been in the house I grew up in! ...
  • Brenda
    10 år sedan
    ... and another ...
  • Brenda
    10 år sedan
    ... one last one ...
  • Connie Snyder
    Författare
    10 år sedan
    wow.
  • leelee
    10 år sedan
    I would definitely recover the cushion in something classic and remove large fake plant.

You could do a solid fabric and cord it in a contrasting color.
  • handymam
    10 år sedan
    Brenda, thanks for posting all of those! I never knew there were so many of them in so many styles!
  • Brenda
    10 år sedan
    me neither handymam. I kinda want one now ...
  • handymam
    10 år sedan
    Yup, me too, with an old phone!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.